Subject: [6lowpan] #35: 6LoWPAN Prefix Information Option, Length

From: "6lowpan issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:11:08 -0000

#35: 6LoWPAN Prefix Information Option, Length
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  nd                  |     Version:                    
 Severity:  -                   |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 The length needs to be specified better, comment from Carsten:

 > It must be a multiple of 8 because of the way ND options work.
 > So it could be 0 (rarely useful), 8 (as I argued, useful in many cases),
 > or 16 (useful for 112-bit prefixes or complete addresses).
 >
 > In standard ND, 16 bytes are always sent.
 > I think the right way to do this is to allow an option length of 1, 2, 3
 > (implying 0, 8, 16 bytes for the prefix field) and prohibiting
 > prefix-length < (length-1) * 64.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lowpan/trac/ticket/35>
6lowpan <http://tools.ietf.org/6lowpan/>