Subject: [6lowpan] Moving to nd-07

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:52:37 +0300

The ND design team has starting meeting to reconcile what might seem  
like a huge gap at first between two polarized viewpoints. We have  
heard the new input (loud and clear already) regarding the application  
of 1-hop RFC4861 features in some configurations and possible future  
evolution of RFC4861 outside of 6lowpan. At the same time we already  
have a mature LoWPAN IPv6 model that makes route-over possible inside  
a LoWPAN, a minimal bootstrapping mechanism suitable for LoWPANs, and  
an important feature for extending LoWPANs. Obviously neither extreme  
will move us forward.

So, the design team is going to attempt to reconcile these two worlds  
in a way that makes use of the base we have, while at the same time  
allowing for RFC4861 or future improvements to also be applied to  
LoWPANs when needed, yet in an interoperable way. Or at least we'll do  
our best.

We have a very short time horizon to the ID cutoff on Oct 26th for the  
next spin of this draft. We are dedicated to getting a new version (or  
two) out that the WG will be able to move forward with during  
Hiroshima. So we ask everyone to give this subject a rest next week  
while we concentrate (however much fun the mailing list is...). After  
Oct 26th you can open fire again ;-)

Now, I believe we have a certain HC draft to get through WGLC in the  
mean time?

Cheers,
Zach
-- 
http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org - My blog “On the Internet of Things”
Mobile: +358 40 7796297

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain  
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,  
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system  
without producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.