Subject: [6lowpan] Whiteboards

From: Daniel Gavelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:35:34 +0000

I agree with the recent proposal to remove the mandatory requirement for 
a whiteboard and duplicate address detection.

However, 16 bit 802.15.4 addresses are a very useful optimisation. 
Assigning these in a standard way is important in the absence of a 
whiteboard.  One option may be to use DHCPv6.  However, the DHCPv6 
packet sizes are quite large and so some sort of DHCPv6 message 
compression would be useful. Extended LowPANs would also be useful in 
some applications.

If the whiteboard and DAD are removed, I would like the issues of 16 bit 
address assignment and extended LowPANs to still be addressed by an RFC 
within the IETF 6LowPAN group, rather than having several different non 
interoperable implementations.

-- 
__________________________________________________
Daniel Gavelle, Software Engineer
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371  Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com
__________________________________________________