Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Comments/suggestions on nd-07

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:52:12 -0800

Hi Julien,

> > > There is obviously no consensus here that 4861 does or does
> > not work
> > > in lowpans.
> >
> > But that is a simple matter of checking the facts.
> > Let's do that and lay that misconception to rest.
> >
> I am not sure we have an agreement on what needs to be fixed though
> from 4861.
>

[SC>]  One can run rfc4861 as it is on 6lowpan networks - no one can
prevent it. But the 6lowpan network will not run efficiently. This has
been discussed for many years in the 6lowpan working group and there
is no doubt that there is an optimized solution is needed for a
power-efficient 6lowpan network.

The co-authors of the current 6lowpan-ND have tried hard to
accommodate all corners of the problems in the low power and lossy
networks including multi-hop subnets, and migration of nodes from one
6lowpan subnet to another etc. The problems are real and the solutions
are there - but we would have to define a basic scope that will be
most useful for average applications. In order to simplify , a
second/follow-up document  could describe further ND optimization
necessary for enhanced 6lowpan applications/usage - that's all I was
trying to say.

Thanks,
-Samita