Subject: [6lowpan] Four points about BT-LE adaptation layer and lowpan

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:50:54 +0200

Raj, I think the BT-LE adaptation layer is different than the lowpan
adaptation layer[*].

The points I am trying to make are:

- IPv6 works ok over that BT-LE adaptation protocol spec, without
   modifications to lowpan (since it is not used by BT-LE).

- lowpan adaptation layer may indeed need to be modified to support
   BT-LE Codes.  This would be helpful in networks running lowpan and
   not BT-LE adaptation protocol.  This would not be IPv6 work, though,
   but lowpan work.

- the quantity of work seems significant, difficult to achieve in a WG
   which does not meet.

- this seems to be adaptation layer work, and this would contradict
   statements that we don't do adaptation layer work at IETF.

Raj - is this clearer from my side?

Alex
[*]
BT-LE adaptation layer ("adaptation protocol spec" page 1382 of
https://www.bluetooth.org/docman/handler/downloaddoc.ashx?doc_id=229737)

is not the same as

lowpan adaptation layer (section 5 of RFC4944).

Because, for example, the message format of BT-LE on page 1404 of that
BT-LE spec seems to start with a Length field, whereas the frame format
on page 6 of RFC4944 starts with something different (dispatch type,
mesh type, etc.)