Subject: [6lowpan] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-19.txt

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:17:32 +0300

We have posted a new version of 6LoWPAN-ND, which the authors feel closes the editorial and technical issues related to the very thorough IESG review. We might still do some minor editing before Vancouver, which could result in another revision.

   Changes from -18 to -19:

      o Editorial improvements as a result of IESG comments (#135,
      #142).

      o Extended ABRO with longer version number and valid lifetime,
      while maintaining backward compatibility (#141).

      o Renamed optional features and described them as substitutable
      (#138).

One note to implementors that there was a technical change in this document that all existing implementors should be aware of. To solve a potential problem with ABRO version number locking, the Authoritative Border Router Option was extended with a 32-bit Version number and a new Valid Lifetime field. Although this was done in such a way so as to maintain backward compatibility, implementations should be updated to the final version of this document when possible. 

Zach, Samita & Erik

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: July 17, 2012 12:06:29 AM GMT+03:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-19.txt
> 
> 
> A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-19.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Zach Shelby and posted to the
> IETF repository.
> 
> Filename:	 draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd
> Revision:	 19
> Title:		 Neighbor Discovery Optimization for Low Power and Lossy Networks (6LoWPAN)
> Creation date:	 2012-07-16
> WG ID:		 6lowpan
> Number of pages: 59
> URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-19.txt
> Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd
> Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-19
> Diff:            http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-19
> 
> Abstract:
>   The IETF 6LoWPAN work defines IPv6 over Low-power Wireless Personal
>   Area Networks such as IEEE 802.15.4.  This and other similar link
>   technologies have limited or no usage of multicast signaling due to
>   energy conservation.  In addition, the wireless network may not
>   strictly follow the traditional concept of IP subnets and IP links.
>   IPv6 Neighbor Discovery was not designed for non-transitive wireless
>   links, as its reliance on the traditional IPv6 link concept and its
>   heavy use of multicast make it inefficient and sometimes impractical
>   in a low-power and lossy network.  This document describes simple
>   optimizations to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery, its addressing mechanisms
>   and duplicate address detection for Low-power Wireless Personal Area
>   Networks and similar networks.  The document thus updates [RFC4944]
>   to specify the use of the optimizations defined here.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Zach Shelby, Chief Nerd, Sensinode Ltd.
http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org  - My blog "On the Internet of Things"
http://6lowpan.net - My book "6LoWPAN: The Wireless Embedded Internet"
Mobile: +358 40 7796297