Subject: Re: [6lowpan] I-D Action: draft-schoenw-6lowpan-mib-00.txt

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 18:59:27 +0200

Hi,

last week we spent a day or so debugging why a TCP session on Contiki
stopped at a certain time to deliver data for about 3 seconds. We
ended up instrumenting various pieces of code with counters and
finally ended up with an issue in the 6lowpan code where the code
mistakenly believed it is in reassembly mode and hence it dropped
packets until the reassembly timer expired.  What really took us time
was that we had to instrument the code to in order to get an idea
where the packets were discarded (initially it was not even clear it
is the 6lowpan layer).

So I thought I write up a definition of a set of counters for the
6lowpan layer in the form of a MIB module - perhaps it is possible to
find agreement on the counters. For those scared by MIBs and SNMP, I
have included a JSON representation of the counters in the appendix,
based on translations that are in the making.

/js

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 08:01:46AM -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 
> 	Title           : Definition of Managed Objects for IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs)
> 	Author(s)       : Juergen Schoenwaelder
>                           Anuj Sehgal
>                           Tina Tsou
>                           Cathy Zhou
> 	Filename        : draft-schoenw-6lowpan-mib-00.txt
> 	Pages           : 14
> 	Date            : 2012-07-04
> 
> Abstract:
>    This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
>    for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
>    In particular, it defines objects for managing IPv6 over Low-Power
>    Wireless Personal Area Networks (6LoWPANs).
> 
> 
> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schoenw-6lowpan-mib
> 
> There's also a htmlized version available at:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schoenw-6lowpan-mib-00
> 
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 09:16:07 +0900

To authors of <draft-schoenw-6lowpan-mib-00>

I didn't go through the draft below, but reminded the previous work in
my memory due to a same subject in 6lowpan.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daniel-6lowpan-mib-01

Is it quite different ? Just curious.

Regards, Daniel.
-- 
Soohong Daniel Park
Samsung Electronics, SWC

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 6lowpan mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:01:02 +0200

> Is it quite different ? Just curious.

Yes. Read it.

/js

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:16:38 +0200

> > Is it quite different ? Just curious.

To be more precise, our MIB proposal focuses on the functions provided
by the 6lowpan standard while draft-daniel-6lowpan-mib-01 more was a
blend of a 802.15.4 MIB with some mesh under stuff. But yes, read it
yourself.

/js