Subject: [6lowpan] Call for Participation - SenSys 2013 Doctoral Colloquium

From: SenSys Publicity <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 23:03:27 -0700

[ ** Please excuse any duplicates you may receive ** ]

Note: Submission deadline extended to September 6th, 2013.

SenSys 2013 Doctoral Colloquium
November 13 November 2013 (afternoon), Rome, Italy.
http://sensys.acm.org/2013/doccol.html

The Doctoral Colloquium (DC) of SenSys'13 is to provide a friendly,
supportive, and constructive environment where PhD students can present
their research-in-progress for an open discussion guided by a panel of
experienced researchers and practitioners. Applicants should be far
enough into their PhD to have a concrete proposal, and have initially
outlined the salient issues and proposed research methodology.
Applicants should not be planning to submit their PhD thesis or
dissertation for at least four months after the DC, so that any advice
or input may still be incorporated into the doctoral work.

The DC will be a half-day, seminar-style event, consisting of short
presentations followed by round table discussion. Time will be allotted
to each student not only for the presentation, but also for careful,
in-depth consideration and discussion amongst the panelists and DC
participants.

In addition to the DC presentation, the participants will be given a
chance to present a poster at the poster session during the main
conference.

Submissions

Topic scope is the same as that listed in the SenSys call for papers. DC
submissions should consist of a single PDF document using the SenSys
paper template. The document should contain the following:

Research summary (3 pages) describing the work in progress and including
a 100-word abstract. Things to consider for inclusion in the research
summary might be: the expected contribution to the field of sensor
networking; the original idea or thesis statement; the problem domain
and the specific problem addressed; a brief overview of related work;
the methodological approach; research carried out and results so far.

Student biographical sketch, including the names and affiliations of the
research advisor(s), and expected date of dissertation submission.

The submission site can be found at:
https://sensys2013.cs.virginia.edu/doctoralCol/index.php

Research summaries will be reviewed by the chairs and panel members. If
the work is accepted, a student may be expected to make clarifications
and improvements to the research summary by the camera-ready deadline.
Note that the research summaries will not be formally published, but
hard copies will be made available to colloquium delegates.

A prize for best student presentation will be awarded by the panel.

Registration

Accepted participants of the doctoral colloquium shall register with the
SenSys workshop registration rate (if applicable at the student rate).
The registration is free if the student also attends and has registered
for the SenSys conference. Participants can also apply for SenSys travel
grants.

Important Dates (all at 11:59pm PDT)

Submission Deadline: September 6th, 2013
Notification of Acceptance: October 6, 2013
Camera-Ready: October 27, 2013
Colloquium: November 13, 2013

Organizers

Chair
Cecilia Mascolo, University of Cambridge

Committee:

Polly Huang, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
Nic Lane, Microsoft Research Asia , China
Andrew Markham, University of Oxford, UK
Emiliano Miluzzo, AT&T, USA
Luca Mottola, Politecnico di Milano Italy & SICS Sweden
Anthony Rowe, CMU, USA
Silvia Santini Technische Universitat Darmstadt, Germany
Sasu Tarkoma University of Helsinki, Finland