Subject: [76attendees] Soccer, part II

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:32:31 -0400

So far, an overwhelming 3 people have expressed interest in playing in  
Hiroshima.

On the one hand, in Dublin when I asked for interest, around 20 folks  
responded. Game night, we had close to 30 show up.

On the other hand, in Stockholm when I asked for interest, around 15  
folks responded and fewer showed up.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm leaving my boots at home :-(

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 20:04:34 -0200

Hello,

Sorry to join so late: But I would love to play soccer in Hiroshima.

Thanks,
Fernando

Eric Burger wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
> 

-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

---

From: Chris Inacio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:40:50 -0400

I'll play; but I'm just an American techie.

Chris Inacio

---

From: Sebastian Castro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:36:55 +1300

> So far, an overwhelming 3 people have expressed interest in playing in

I'll join! Are you aiming for an indoor or an outdoor field? Depending
on that is the choice of cleats.

> folks responded and fewer showed up.

Oh these football-lovers Europeans :D

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:53:15 -0200

Okay, who's keeping track of the list of potential soccer players?

Fernando -- from Maradona-Land ;-), but have not played soccer for the
last four years (*shame* on me).

Fernando

Chris Inacio wrote:
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

---

From: Sebastian Castro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:05:13 +1300

> last four years (*shame* on me).

Fernando, I don't know if stating you come form Argentina by referencing
Maradona is good for your public image ;) (considering the last episode
after the match with Uruguay).

In any case, adding to the list

Sebastian -- from Maradona-land west neighbor ;D

Cheers!

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:37:38 -0400

>Unless I hear otherwise, I'm leaving my boots at home :-(

Sign up at:
http://www.doodle.com/xm4iewd7pbcn3nkp

I'm told we may have a better chance of getting a Futsal court than a field,
so stay tuned on which boots to pack :-)

         Olafur

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:22:39 -0400

Olafur Gudmundsson set up a doodle poll (thanks!) at:
http://www.doodle.com/xm4iewd7pbcn3nkp
We need this information to book a venue.

Please take the time to fill out the poll. So far, I have interest from:
Char Sample (?)
Olafur Gundmundsson
JINMEI Tatuya
Roque Gagliano
Joerg Ott (maybe)
Martin Röhricht (yes - we could do indoor/futsal)
João Taveira Araújo
Fernando Gont
Chris Inacio
Sebastian Castro

If your name is on this list, PLEASE fill out the doodle poll, as well.

In the comments field, please indicate if Futsal is OK. That may cost  
us up to $100 total, or less than $10 each.

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:55:00 -0200

> after the match with Uruguay).

Well, that's Maradona (politically-incorrect by definition ;-) ). You
learn to appreciate him.

That's part of the fun of having him as a couch: even if our team
doesn't perform good, you can still have fun in the press conference.  ;-)

Kind regards,

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:05:17 -0700

At Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:22:39 -0400,

> We need this information to book a venue.

According to the doodle poll, futsal (not full soccer) on Monday or
Thursday seems to be the choice.

Meanwhile, a local person suggested me a futsal court
http://www.i-fut.com/ (only Japanese pages are available, sorry)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.364822N,132.473925E

I checked the availability and found Monday evening is already fully
booked.

google maps say it takes about 35 minutes from ANA Crowne Plaza (18
min of street car ride + 15min walk - or maybe we can share a tax to
get there faster?).

The fee is 12600JPY for one hour.  Non member can only use the court
up to 1 hour.  They rent futsal shoes (300JPY) btw.

Considering all of these, if we go with this plan, it's

- Thursday evening: 8:30pm to 9:30pm
- Meet up at the hotel 7:45pm-ish, share a tax (preferably) or take a
  street car to the court
- Fee: assuming we have 12 participants, about 1000JPY each.

Is that okay?  Then we should book the court ASAP.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:57:42 -0400

I vote YES!!!

Can I use my turf shoes / sneakers? Thanks for figuring this out!

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:53:42 -0700

At Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:05:17 -0700,

> Is that okay?  Then we should book the court ASAP.

Update: I've reserved a single court based on the plan.  I don't know
what kind of shoes are allowed (at least use of "spike shoes" seems to
be prohibited).  I can ask the management office if anyone wants to be
sure.

One possible concern: doodle indicates 14 people have shown interest
(for Thursday).  Is a single futsal court sufficient for this size of
group?  My general understanding is that a futsal game is normally
played by 10 player in the field and since it's pretty hard players
are in/out frequently - so I think 14(-ish) are actually a good size
of group, but if anyone familiar with futsal thinks it's too
optimistic please point it out.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:47:35 -0400

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 allegedly wrote on 10/30/2009 2:53 AM:
> I don't know
> be prohibited).  

I'm too old to play with you "youngsters" but I used to, and cleats
would be a bad idea.  There are shoes designed for it.  Sneakers are
tolerable as long as they are not built for jogging, with a wide bottom
-- you'll catch an edge and hurt your ankle.

> optimistic please point it out.

My favorite way of handling this was to split into three teams and
rotate through frequently.  A particular team is on the field for two
rotations, and thus plays both the others.

You can also play six on a side.

Scott

---

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:11:08 -0200

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:

> group?  

With fourteen people (and probably a few more, that simply didn't fill
out the doodle form) it might be a good to get a full soccer court. For
playing 11-11 players in the field, or 9-9, or whatever. If not, maybe
we could have two futsal courts?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:30:22 -0400

> we could have two futsal courts?

In Stockholm there much fewer people who came than people who said they would.

Simon
-- 
DNS64 open-source   --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:41:27 -0400

Scott - You're never too old!

As for size: if we are doing outdoor, 12-14/side is great.

If we are doing indoor, 5 on the field and 10/side is great.

My understanding is futsal is in between in intensity to outdoor and  
indoor, meaning we could either do the 3-team rotation or just do lots  
of subs. I know I won't play the whole time :-)

[There will be beer nearby, yes?]

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:30:07 -0700

At Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:11:08 -0200,

> we could have two futsal courts?

If we need to cancel the futsal court we should do it by Nov 4 (Wed)
to avoid penalty.  Frankly, I'm pessimistic about reserving a full
soccer court, but if many others want me to try it, I will.  As for
another futsal court, it cannot be an option, unfortunately: we are a
"visitor", and visitors can only reserve a single court at one time.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:12:09 -0400

Any idea how booked the futsal courts are? My guess is if we have  
extra people, but there are usually open courts, it would not be a  
problem to get an ad hoc court.