Subject: [76attendees] Question About the Train Fare

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:07:20 -0400

The host site says this about the train fare rom Narita to Hiroshima:

Take a Narita Express (1hr. 12 min., every 30 min.) to Shinagawa Station 
then change to  Shinkansen "Nozomi"  to JR Hiroshima Station (4 hrs., 3 
trains/hour). The fare is 20,440 JPY. Please buy your ticket through to 
Hiroshima Station at the JR Ticket Office in the basement level of 
Narita Airport Terminal-1 or Terminal-2.

Is that the fare for Narita-Hiroshima or just from Shinagawa-Hiroshima? 
  And, is it a one way or round trip fare?

Thanks,

spt

---

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:09:30 -0500

>  And, is it a one way or round trip fare?

It's one-way, from Shinagawa-Hiroshima. A JR pass is cheaper than two
one-way fares, but you can't use the Nozomi trains so the trip takes a
bit longer.

-- 
Kevin P. Fleming
Digium, Inc. | Director of Software Technologies
445 Jan Davis Drive NW - Huntsville, AL 35806 - USA
skype: kpfleming | jabber: [email-masked]
Check us out at www.digium.com & www.asterisk.org

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:09:53 -0700 (PDT)

Sean,

See hiroshima-info.info and use the Hyperdia link. Enter Narita and 
Hiroshima as start/end points and it will give you the total fare
(use the pulldown to select the fare type).

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Sean Turner wrote:

> Take a Narita Express (1hr. 12 min., every 30 min.) to Shinagawa Station then
> change to  Shinkansen "Nozomi"  to JR Hiroshima Station (4 hrs., 3
> Hiroshima Station at the JR Ticket Office in the basement level of Narita
> Airport Terminal-1 or Terminal-2.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
> 
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:11:33 -0700 (PDT)

And rememeber what I said earlier about JR Rail Passes: You MUST get 
one BEFORE you come to Japan if you intend to use it. It is NOT
available in Japan.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: "MANGINO Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 12:14:55 -0500

The JR Rail pass exchange voucher can be ordered online from.

http://www.amnet-usa.com/eng/a-etc/jrpass_terms.html

Once you get your passport stamped you exchange your voucher for an
actual pass.

The 14 day ordinary pass was $500 US 

Regards,

Mike 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ole Jacobsen
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 11:12 AM
To: Kevin P. Fleming
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [76attendees] Question About the Train Fare

And rememeber what I said earlier about JR Rail Passes: You MUST get one
BEFORE you come to Japan if you intend to use it. It is NOT available in
Japan.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:40:38 -0400

Ole,

I found the info on your site very helpful.  Just to make sure I 
understand: you need to arrive at your final destination station before 
midnight.  If I land at 16:20 (coming from the US), then the last Nomomi 
train you can catch to Hiroshima is the 19:50 train which gets you in at 
23:56 or the last non-Nozomi train at 18:33 train which gets you in at 
23:35.  If you take out the Narita Express travel time, then that leaves 
about 4 (Nozomi) or 3 (non-Nozomi) hours to get through 
customs/immigration.  Both seem do-able.

My one burning question: Do they serve beer on the train?

spt

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 14:03:10 -0400

> customs/immigration.  Both seem do-able.

You can actually put in Narita - it says last train to make Hiroshima is 
18:06 and that's only 1.5 hours for the transfer.

>>> Is that the fare for Narita-Hiroshima or just from 
>>> Shinagawa-Hiroshima?  And, is it a one way or round trip fare?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> spt

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 11:38:03 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, your train needs to arrive before midnight in Hiroshima. Minimum 
journey time from Tokyo station is a little under 4 hours (3:47). 
The hyperdia link will show you options an connection time, best
place to do that is Shinagawa, if you decide to do it in Tokyo
give yourself some extra time, it is a BIG station.

Yes, you can buy beer on the train. If you are in "Green Car" (first 
class) they bring around a cart, otherwise every train has a dining
car and I think there are even vending machines on some trains.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Sean Turner wrote:

> Ole,
> 
> I found the info on your site very helpful.  Just to make sure I understand:
> you need to arrive at your final destination station before midnight.  If I
> land at 16:20 (coming from the US), then the last Nomomi train you can catch
> to Hiroshima is the 19:50 train which gets you in at 23:56 or the last
> non-Nozomi train at 18:33 train which gets you in at 23:35.  If you take out
> the Narita Express travel time, then that leaves about 4 (Nozomi) or 3
> (non-Nozomi) hours to get through customs/immigration.  Both seem do-able.
> 
> > > then

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:39:03 -0700

At Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:40:38 -0400,

> My one burning question: Do they serve beer on the train?

Yes.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:00:22 -0700

At Fri, 9 Oct 2009 11:38:03 -0700 (PDT),

> car and I think there are even vending machines on some trains.

In Shinkansen (and probably NEX) they bug you with a cart even if you
are in the "economy" class:-)

I don't know if they have a *beer* vending machine on the train, but
they certainly sell beers on platforms (if you don't mind the time lag
before you actually drink it).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:57:26 +0900 (JST)

With JR Rail Pass, you can't board Nozomi trains as somebody else
posted already -- there is no program such as "pay XXX JPY to board a
Nozomi train", unfortunately. So you need to use Hikari trains. The
travel time between Tokyo/Shinagawa and Hiroshima is about 50min
longer and you need to change in Shin-Osaka (there is no Hikari train
directly connecting Tokyo/Shinagawa and Hiroshima). Hikari trains
depart twice an hour while Nozomi trains depart three times an hour in
regular hours.

The last Nozomi train to Hiroshma departs from Tokyo station (Not
Narita Airport) at 19:50 while you need to take 18:33 Hikari train
(need to change at Shin-Osaka) if you use JR Rail Pass.

So I recommend to consider to purchase a JR Rail Pass only
- if your itinerary is flexible (one night stay in Tokyo is possible
  for example)
or
- if you are traveling Japan before or after IETF meeting.

See http://www.japanrailpass.net/ for detail.

-- Akira Kato, WIDE Project

---

From: Zartash Uzmi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 04:44:17 +0600

Hi Akira Kato,

I have a slight confusion regarding this discussion, especially not being
able to buy the JR Rail Pass within Japan and not being able to board the
Nozomi train. From the meeting website (http://www.ietf76.jp/access/), under
the heading "From Kansai Airport" through which I (and presumably several
others) will be traveling, the following information is given:

"From Kansai International Airport, take the JR "Haruka" Express
train<http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/access/train/index.html>to
Shin Osaka Station (45 min., every 30 min.) where you can board the
Shinkansen either "Nozomi" or "Hikari" train to JR Hiroshima
Station<http://www.ietf76.jp/access/#JR-Hiroshima>(1hr. 45 min. 3-4
times in an hour). The fare is 11,730 JPY down to Hirohima
(one way, reserved seat). Please buy your ticket through Hiroshima at the JR
Ticket Office in Kansai Airport to enjoy a discount. While there are
non-reserved seats available on both the "Haruka" and the Shinakansen, it is
recommended to reserve your seat."

This information tells me that JR ticket office at Kansai will be able to
provide tickets using which Nozomi can be boarded. Is that ticket different
form the JR Rail Pass? If yes, why would one need a JR Rail Pass anyways if
it restricts the travel?

Thanks,
Zartash

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:03:58 +0900 (JST)

Dear Zartash,

The information described in http://www.ietf76.jp/access/ never assume
that you are with a Japan Rail Pass holder. You need to buy a regular
ticket to Hiroshima and the price is based on a Nozomi train.

If you are going to use a Japan Rail Pass, you can board Haruka
express train down to Shin-Osaka with the pass, but you need to take a
Hikari train which departs twice an hour from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima.

-- Akira Kato

From: Zartash Uzmi <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [76attendees] Question About the Train Fare
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 04:44:17 +0600

> Hi Akira Kato,
> 
> I have a slight confusion regarding this discussion, especially not being able
> to buy the JR Rail Pass within Japan and not being able to board the Nozomi
> train. From the meeting website (http://www.ietf76.jp/access/), under the
> heading "From Kansai Airport" through which I (and presumably several others)
> will be traveling, the following information is given:
> 
> "From Kansai International Airport, take the JR "Haruka" Express train to Shin
> Osaka Station (45 min., every 30 min.) where you can board the Shinkansen
> either "Nozomi" or "Hikari" train to JR Hiroshima Station (1hr. 45 min. 3-4
> times in an hour). The fare is 11,730 JPY down to Hirohima (one way, reserved
> seat). Please buy your ticket through Hiroshima at the JR Ticket Office in
> Kansai Airport to enjoy a discount. While there are non-reserved seats
> available on both the "Haruka" and the Shinakansen, it is recommended to
> reserve your seat."
> 
> form the JR Rail Pass? If yes, why would one need a JR Rail Pass anyways if it
> restricts the travel?
> 
> Thanks,
> Zartash
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 03:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

The JR Rail Pass is a discount pass for foreign visitors, similar to 
Eurail (http://www.eurail.com/) which allows unlimited travel for
a certain period within Japan.

So, you can buy JR tickets at th JR office at Kansai or Narita or
at basically any JR station in Japan, but you can NOT buy the 
unlimited travel ticket for visitors once you are in Japan.

See: http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

A JR Railpass does not "restrict travel" in fact it gives you 
virtually unlimited travel within a given time period, however,
it is, as Kato san says, not valid on ONE kind of Shinkansen
train. You could certainly travel from Kansai to Hiroshima and
back on a JR Railpss, but you would not be able to do so on the
absolute fastest express train.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: "Schmidt, Christian 1. (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:26:40 +0200

"It is recommended to check your car number printed on your ticket."

Is it correct, that you make this seat reservation is done at the
Airport Terminal?
What happens, if you miss this train? Can you use the ticket for the
next train or do you have to buy a new ticket? Are there free seats
available for this purpose?
How does it work in case of two-way tickets?
- Do you have to decide the train back to Tokyo in advance?
- Can you make the resevation in Hiroschima?
Could it be, that you can not take a certain train, because of no spare
seats? Do you have to take this into account in trip planning?

Thanks,

Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of ext Sean Turner
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 7:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [76attendees] Question About the Train Fare

Thanks,

spt

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

If you are travelling with a reserved seat ticket, then yes, the 
ticket has all the information. It is also possible to get a ticket 
for non-reserved cars. In that case you could use the ticket for
any train. The FARE ticket is valid for any train so it's just the
seat/car/train data that needs to be updated if you miss your
train. The conductor can take care of the change. Yes, there are
"free" (non-reserved) seats.

The best thing is to make sure you have enough changeover time
and enough time to get to the first train (typically the airport
express train) and you won't have any issue.

You can buy the train ticket in Hiroshima, just pop into the station 
anytime before you leave and get the ticket. I usually get mine a
day or so before returning, but there are MANY trains and getting
the train you want is usually not an issue. Use hyperdia for
planning http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

It also has a timetable feature so you can see how many trains there 
are (LOTS during the day).

Kato san can correct me, but I don't think there is any savings in
getting a return ticket so you might as well just get the outbound
unless you are absolutely certain about the return time.

Hope this helps.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:08:36 +0900 (JST)

I've add some info about JR ticket in "General" section of
http://www.ietf76.jp/.

-- Akira Kato

---

From: "Kevin P. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:21:52 -0500

> I've add some info about JR ticket in "General" section of

For those of us who do purchase JR Passes (I have already received my
Exchange Voucher), what is the process for reserving a seat on a Hikari
or Kodami Shinkansen, or on the Narita Express, since we don't actually
have to pay for the ticket or reservation fee?

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:27:34 -0700 (PDT)

This should have all been explained with what you got from
the JR rail people but: Go to the JR travel center at Narita
or Kansai and exchange the voucher for your pass and ticket.

(Disclaimer: I've never actually used a JR Rail Pass, but that is how 
I understand it works and is how it works in the rest of the world.)

See: http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en006.html

...and nearby links.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:32:09 -0700 (PDT)

A little more info:

* A non-reserved seat (except for NOZOMI trains on the Tokaido 
and Sanyo Shinkansen) can be used simply by showing your JAPAN RAIL 
PASS.

* Seat reservations can be made without additional payment.To 
make a reservation, go to any Travel Service Center or a Reservation 
Office (Midori-no-madoguchi) at a JR station, or to the sales office 
of a JR-associated travel agency. There, show your PASS, and obtain 
your reserved-seat ticket before the boarding. (NOZOMI trains and the 
trains marked with *in table 2 require the payment of an additional 
charge.)

(Above taken from http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en007.html )

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:06:58 -0700 (PDT)

Kato san has posted a detailed explanation of the JR ticket rules 
here: http://www.ietf76.jp/general/

Summary: There IS a discount for round-trip fares provided that you 
travel more than 600km in each direction. So, if you are able to
plan exactly when to return, write down the info you get from the
hyperdia link and present your entire journey to the JR agent at
Narita (Kansai is too close to Hiroshima for the discount).

General rule: If I say something, it's based on my experience from
many visits to Japan, but Kato san lives in Japan and speak Japanese
a lot better than I do. So you should trust his word, not mine, when
in doubt.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: "Lu, Guang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:10:55 -0400

Hello, 

Thank you for sharing the travel information. I found it very helpful. 

I will arrive at the Hiroshima airport and booked the Rihga Royal Hotel
Hiroshima hotel. From the hotel website it says

"From Hiroshima Airport
Board the airport limousine bus to the Hiroshima Bus Center. The ride is
about 1 hour and costs 1,300 yen each way. The buses run from 8:30 to
21:20 from the airport, and 5:55 to 19:15 returning to the airport.
Alternatively, take the taxi, also approximately 1 hour. The taxi costs
about 15,000 yen including road tolls."

It is not clear how frequent the limousine bus is, and I'm afraid that I
may miss it since my flight arrives late. 

Does anyone know if there is any other way to get to the hotel (or the
area) besides taking a taxi? 

Thanks and best regards,
Guang

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ole Jacobsen
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 7:07 PM
To: Kevin P. Fleming
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [76attendees] More About the Train Fares

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

Google is your friend:

http://www.hij.airport.jp/english/access/now/bus/b01.php

You can also download the timetable in PDF format.

http://www.hij.airport.jp/english/access/now/bus/pdf/b01_e.pdf

That answers your question about frequency. You didn't say when
your flight arrives.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:26:04 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, I have you the wrong URL, try this instead:

http://www.hij.airport.jp/english/access/now/bus/b01b.php

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 23:36:55 +0900 (JST)

Dear Guang,

see the following URLs:
	http://www.ietf76.jp/access/#HIJ
	http://www.hij.airport.jp/english/access/now/bus/b01b.php

If you will be arriving at Hiroshima Airport via a domestic flight
from Haneda Airport, the bus will depart in connecting with it.
So the last bus will wait for passengers unless the delay is
significant.

If you will be arriving via an International fligt, the bus
may not change the schedule. When you miss the last bus departure,
there is no nice way to get your hotel.

The possible way except taking a taxi to your hotel is
	- take a taxi to "Shiraichi" JR station; 3,000 -- 3,800 JPY
	  and 20-25min
	- Take JR local train to Hiroshima, 740 JPY
	  The last train departs from Shiraichi station at 23:12,
	  and arrival at Hiroshima is 23:56.
	- Take a taxi again. Probably it costs around 1,000 JPY
	  and 10min.

This is *not* a recommended way especially for foreigners but it is
the last resort except for direct taxi ride.

-- Akira Kato

From: "Lu, Guang" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [76attendees] transport from Hiroshima airport to hotel
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:10:55 -0400