Subject: [76attendees] realtime scripting...

From: Ruri Hiromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:31:21 +0900

This is very helpful. Thanks!

-------------------------------
Ruri Hiromi
Intec NetCore, Inc. / Keio university
[email-masked]

---

From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:34:45 +0900

Who or what is doing this? Fantastic.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Ruri Hiromi <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
>

-- 
Regards,

DY
http://cnu.kr/~dykim

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:35:56 -0500

> This is very helpful. Thanks!

Do others see value?  And why?  How is it helpful?

Ray
IAD

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:36:50 -0500

> Who or what is doing this? Fantastic.

After discussing with Olaf I arranged for a transcriptionist.

Ray
IAD

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:40:57 -0500 (EST)

> Do others see value?  And why?  How is it helpful?

I do.  I find it easier to assimilate the presentation when I have the 
option to go back and reread the bit that I wasn't paying enough 
attention to or which confused me.  Accordingly, more lines of history 
shown on the screen would be better.

Will the transcript be made available after?  (I hope so.)  And is it 
available via jabber or somewuch for remote participants?  (I hope 
so.)

-- Sam

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:43:22 +0900

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 04:35:56AM -0500,
 Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 27 lines which said:

> Do others see value?

Yes. (I am already used to it in other meetings like RIPE, ICANN or IGF.)

> And why?

Because english is not my language and it is quite difficult to
understand every strange accent you can hear (some speakers are much
better than others).

> How is it helpful?

I'm better at reading english than at listening to it.

---

From: Dae Young KIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:48:18 +0900

> After discussing with Olaf I arranged for a transcriptionist.
So, it's a human person. Amazing.

And it is of great value for non-native speakers of English, I think.

-- 
Regards,

DY
http://cnu.kr/~dykim

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:49:04 +0100

Yeah,
Especially in the Q and A session, when there are no helping slides.
Thanks for that
Regards
Dirk
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Im Auftrag von Ray Pelletier
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. November 2009 10:36

An: Ruri Hiromi
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [76attendees] realtime scripting...

Ray
IAD

---

From: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:51:01 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ray Pelletier" <[email-masked]>
To: "Ruri Hiromi" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [76attendees] realtime scripting...

> Do others see value?  And why?  How is it helpful?

+1
good try.

very useful for non-native English speaker.

this is the symbol of internationalized IETF.

Yao Jiankang
CNNIC

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:53:22 -0500

On Nov 12, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Samuel Weiler wrote:

> I do.  I find it easier to assimilate the presentation when I have  
> the option to go back and reread the bit that I wasn't paying enough  
> attention to or which confused me.  Accordingly, more lines of  
> history shown on the screen would be better.
>
> Will the transcript be made available after?

Arrangements have been made for the transcript to be available to the  
IAB immediately after the Plenary.

>  (I hope so.)  And is it available via jabber or somewuch for remote  
> participants?  (I hope so.)

Hmmm. we tried this in the past (2+ years ago) and it turns out that  
was a bit more difficult to accomplish. It was transmitted at first 1  
character at a time, then it was in bursts of words not like we see it  
in the room.  There needs to be some coding done.  The original effort  
was contributed by NeuStar.

If this experiment has value and is continued, perhaps we could get a  
volunteer to work on this effort.

Ray

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:58:53 +0900

>> Do others see value?  And why?  How is it helpful?

yes. While tonight, to me, we had very understandable speakers, it 
happens that some speakers are more difficult to understand. Therefore, 
the real-time transcript helps one to verify/confirm his understanding.

On a note, someone well known in our community speaks super fast and 
sometimes he speaks at the mic... I would really like to have 
transcripts when he speaks... I will be at the same time be very 
impressed by the transcriptionnist to handle his bandwidth...

Marc.

---

From: Ruri Hiromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:59:07 +0900

Because I usually speak Japanese.

It is very helpful when I could not catch the words and I can always  
confirm "to see" with eyes what I heard.

---

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:00:22 +0900

2009/11/12 Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>:
> option to go back and reread the bit that I wasn't paying enough attention
> to or which confused me.  Accordingly, more lines of history shown on the
> screen would be better.
>
Besides, it'd be great if the word processor can be set to not show
page breaks or at least not render them as lots of vertical
whitespace. At least I assume that's what happens right now every
"few" lines. :-/

The transcript is fantastic. I have little problems following the
accents but it's a great way to catch up after one of my many moments
of mind-absence. :-)

Wilmer.

---

From: Yasuhiro Orange Morishita / 森下泰宏 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:15:08 +0900 (JST)

+1 for me, too.

But if the character size is a little bit bigger,
it is better for me.

-- Orange

From: Ruri Hiromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:59:07 +0900

> It is very helpful when I could not catch the words and I can always confirm "to see" with eyes what I heard.
> 
>

---

From: Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:18:20 +0900

Transcription is very helpful for understanding discussion.
Another value I found was that I could check my speaking was 
recognized correctly :-)

I hope keeping this experience forever.

-- 
Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>

---

From: Arnoud van Wijk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:24:09 +0900

Welcome to my world.
I use this service to be able to follow the IETF meetings. The 
transcriber is my interpreter :-)
I am all for making this service available for everyone. You do not need 
to be deaf to find this real-time captioning/transcribing service useful 
:-).

cheers

Arnoud van Wijk
www.realtimetext.org

---

From: "Ingemar Johansson S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 12:38:17 +0100

Hi

I saw it as an extra help for people with hearing problems (like myself)
but apparently it gives extra value for others as well.

Thanks for the realtime scripting 

BR
Ingemar

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ray Pelletier
> Sent: den 12 november 2009 18:36
> To: Ruri Hiromi
> Cc: [email-masked]

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:03:28 +0900

Ingemar,

> but apparently it gives extra value for others as well.

by Thursday night, we ALL have hearing problems, and we're not parsing 
English no matter what language we spoke growing up :D

Thanks for making this available. When Harald had me taking notes at the 
IETF plenary(s? can't remember), I was nowhere near this accurate, and the 
RFID system lets me figure out who is speaking without craning my head 
randomly. Yet Another Technology That Has Advanced.

Spencer