Subject: [76attendees] Western-Japanese Food

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:58:11 -0800 (PST)

* Tempura: Allegedly introduced by the Portguese, but very much a true 
  Japanese dish. Works under the theory that anything good is better 
  deep friend especially in a nice crispy batter. You have to try it 
  at least once while in Japan.

* Hambagu and hambaga: There are two versions of "the ground beef 
  patty that came from Hamburg". If you see "Hamburg Steak" on a menu, 
  it refers in all probability to the version without a bun and often 
  served with brown sauce, this is called "ham-ba-gu" in Japan. The 
  other kind (on a bun) is called "ham-ba-ga".

* Omrice: Fried rice with various ingredients wrapped in an omelette 
  and served with various sauces and other items, such as "hambagu" 
  above. Called "oh-mu-rai-su" in Japanese, this is a truly a Japanese 
  invention based on Western concepts. There is an omrice restaurant 
  on Chuo Dori very close to Yamada Denki (the electronics store). 
  Comfort food indeed.

* Italian: Italian food, especially pasta has been apdated and adopted 
  in Japan. You can still get the basic pasta dishes, but you can also 
  them with all kinds of non-Italian things on top: squid, roe, raw 
  fish, you name it...

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj