Subject: [76attendees] Kansai/Hiroshima Train Station: ATM/travel to hotel

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:36:31 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

>Welcome to Hiroshima!
>
>Hey guys
>
>
>This site might be useful.
>
>http://www.ietf76.jp/archives.html

Thank you for all the info you have provided.  You have done a wonderful 
job.

I am taking one of the recommended itineraries not yet discussed.  I am 
traveling to Kansai Airport and by train from there to Hiroshima.

Can anyone way whether I will need cash to purchase the train ticket in 
Kansai Airport?  I thought I saw suggestions on some sites that train 
ticket purchases need cash, which seems odd.

How can I get from the Hiroshima Airport to my hotel?  I'm staying at the 
Oriental Hotel, which does not seem to be within walking distance with 
luggage - correct?  I might arrive after sunset.

I found the web site 
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/money/index.html with a list of 
banks that have ATM machines at the Kansai Airport.  A few, not all, are 
available 24 hrs a day.

My apologies if this information has already been posted somewhere.

--Sandy

P.S.  On the web site http://www.ietf76.jp/general/atm/#atm-postoffice, 
the atm10.png graphic did not display for me.  Many thanks for the 
pictures translating the important buttons (backspace, confirm, etc.).

P.S.  The Post Office web site about use of international cards in post 
office ATM machines does not seem to be completely functional - the text 
seems to refer to things not displayed, like handling charges, hours when 
not available, etc.

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:51:00 -0500

> ticket purchases need cash, which seems odd.

http://www.ietf76.jp/2009/07/from_kansai_airport.html

> 
> How can I get from the Hiroshima Airport to my hotel?  I'm staying at
> the Oriental Hotel, which does not seem to be within walking distance
> with luggage - correct?  I might arrive after sunset.

I assume you mean Hiroshima train station?

http://www.ietf76.jp/2009/07/from_jr_hiroshima_station.html

swb

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:10:45 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009, Sandra Murphy wrote:

> Thank you for all the info you have provided.  You have done a wonderful job.
>
> Kansai Airport?  I thought I saw suggestions on some sites that train ticket 
> purchases need cash, which seems odd.
>

Sorry - meant Hiroshima train station, not airport.

Got it right in the subject line, hope I haven't now totally confused the 
thread.

--Sandy

> P.S.  On the web site http://www.ietf76.jp/general/atm/#atm-postoffice, the 
> atm10.png graphic did not display for me.  Many thanks for the pictures 
> translating the important buttons (backspace, confirm, etc.).
>
> seems to refer to things not displayed, like handling charges, hours when not 
> available, etc.
>
> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
>

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 11:14:43 -0700

> traveling to Kansai Airport and by train from there to Hiroshima.

I'll be travelling in that manner, too. If I find any clues I'll post
them here.

> ticket purchases need cash, which seems odd.

As I understand it, you need to take a train from Kansai airport to
Osaka, then a train from Osaka to Hiroshima. It's not yet clear to me if
cash payment is required.

/psa

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:18:52 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

> cash payment is required.

The directions implied to me that one made one purchase at the airport for 
both tickets (or a combined ticket).

If it is two purchases, then the question needs an answer for each 
purchase.

--Sandy

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:29:57 -0500

Sandra Murphy allegedly wrote on 11/02/2009 1:18 PM:
> The directions implied to me that one made one purchase at the airport
> for both tickets (or a combined ticket).

Buy all your tickets together at the airport.  Buying them together you
get a discount on the surcharge.

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:06:34 +0200

Hi,
For the train look at 

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:7iNagBLXN2QJ:www.hiwc.biz/files/Final_T
rains_for_Dummies_.doc+train+ticket+from+kansai+to+hiroshima&cd=1&hl=en&ct=c
lnk

Roni Even

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:76attendees-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sandra Murphy
> Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 7:37 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [76attendees] Kansai/Hiroshima Train Station: ATM/travel to
> hotel
> 
> >Welcome to Hiroshima!
> >
> >Hey guys
> >
> >
> the

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:13:13 +1300

With absolutely no guarantees since this is the result of a
Google search and it is several years old:

http://www.hiwc.biz/files/Final_Trains_for_Dummies_.doc

This takes you through the whole journey from Kansai
arrivals to Hiroshima station.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 2009-11-03 06:36, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/money/index.html with a list
> of banks that have ATM machines at the Kansai Airport.  A few, not all,
> are available 24 hrs a day.
> 
> seems to refer to things not displayed, like handling charges, hours
> when not available, etc.
>

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:26:12 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Thanks to both who posted a link to this document.

For others, this says that the ticket office takes credit cards.

I found the following on the same web site (Hiroshima International 
Women's Club) that appears to have some useful information.

http://www.hiwc.biz/files/Newcomers_Guide.doc

(I did not find a link from the home page to the train info, so I can't 
comment on its freshness.)

--Sandy

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:31:25 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

By the same airport/train station confusion, I overlooked the information 
on the ietf76.jp site regarding travel from the Hiroshima *train* station 
to the various hotels.

Again, thanks to our hosts.

--Sandy

---

From: Sebastian Castro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:10:49 +1300

> I'll be travelling in that manner, too. If I find any clues I'll post

Based on the information here

http://www.ietf76.jp/access/#KIX-Hiroshima

and what has been posted on the list on the previous days

you take the train (Hakura) from Kansai to Shin-Osaka and then you take
the Nozomi from shin-osaka to Hiroshima Station.

> cash payment is required.

My understanding is you can get both tickets at Kansai and pay with a
credit card.

Cheers
Sebastian

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:40:01 -0500

Sebastian Castro allegedly wrote on 11/02/2009 5:10 PM:> you take the
train (Hakura) from Kansai

Haruka Express

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:45:29 +0900 (JST)

> for both tickets (or a combined ticket).

While you need to change the trains at Shin-Osaka, you can buy a
single (more precisely "set of") ticket down to Hiroshima. As Scott
suggested, you enjoy some discount for express train surcharge. Also
it is generally expected that the station staffs at an international
airport may have better English skill than other stations.

More precisely, there are 6 JR comapnies operating passenger trains
now. They were "Japan National Railways", and divided and turned into
private companies in 1987. You can buy a ticket between a pair of any
of JR system stations. You need to pay "per-train" basis for limited
express surcharge and green-car (first class) surcharge, but the
station ticket office is able to sell at once.

-- Akira Kato

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:48:50 +0900 (JST)

> cash payment is required.

JR companies had required to pay by cash for many years, but now they
changed their minds. Credit card is now acceptable at many of the
long-haul ticket counters (called Midori-no-Madoguchi, colored in
Green).

-- Akira Kato

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:59:31 -0500

[try number two from 'other' address]

> airport may have better English skill than other stations.

I also suggest that if you are buying your ticket at a site other than  
the Airport you know the exact train# you want to ride on.  If you do  
not speak the same language as the ticket office, you can get by with  
the right information on paper.

The JR machines can also sell you NEX (if your travel involves Tokyo)  
and other tickets in English. I presume the similar is also true in  
Kansai/Hiroshima.

I will be taking the Kansai -> Hiroshima trip Saturday after spending  
the night at Kansai. (dtw-msp-nrt[rjaa]-kix[rjbb]).

- Jared

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:05:25 -0800 (PST)

I highly recommend using Hyperdia to plan your trip. Write down the 
details and hand it to the JR ticket office.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Hassan Zaheer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:54:34 +0500

Ole is very right, you can get all the required details to plan your trip.

I'm also traveling in the same manner, arriving at Kansai on 6 Nov at 19:00
and traveling by train to Hiroshima, I'm attaching the possible train routes
for arriving on the same day at Hiroshima

Note: You have to take Haruka express departing at 20:46 to reach Hiroshima
in the same day.

Also as I discussed with dikshie about money exchange and his comments are
as below

there are some money changers in Kansai airport.
please refer to:
http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/money/index.html

the bad news: some of them close on 19.00JST.
the good news: I heard from my friend some of them open until 22.00JST
since Kansai is 24hours airport.
But I suggest to prepare Japanese yen from you country.
if you have credit card or international cash card, please bring it.

Hassan

-- 
-- 
Hassan Zaheer
Manager IP Core

Worldcall Telecom Ltd.