Subject: [76attendees] Cotton Yukatas

From: Antti Mäkelä <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 05:44:31 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

   Anyone know a shop where you could get cotton yukatas (in the 2000-5000 
yen range?) I saw a couple of small shops on Hondori and they were (at 
least judging by the windows) selling kimonos and yukatas going at 30000+ 
yen. Looking for something a bit more casual..

   Thanks.

-- Antti

---

From: Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:14:58 +0900

On Nov 9, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Antti Mäkelä wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Anyone know a shop where you could get cotton yukatas (in the  
> 2000-5000 yen range?) I saw a couple of small shops on Hondori and  
> they were (at least judging by the windows) selling kimonos and  
> yukatas going at 30000+ yen. Looking for something a bit more casual..
>

In the lobby of the Sun Route Hotel, they are selling them for 2,000  
yen.  One style only.

		--Rod

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 08:47:57 +0100

> In the lobby of the Sun Route Hotel, they are selling them for 2,000 
I guess you are referring to the model one ware after taking a bath 
(furo), white with blue prints (I say it too in the Sun Route hotel 
lobby). Nice and colorful yukatas are probably a better option.

I think you won't have any difficulty to find cheap yukatas at the 
airport. For those flying via Narita for sure, but before the security 
gate - they sale a lot of Japanese craft (or souvenirs if you like). 
Don't know about Kansai.

You may also visit department stores, but since we are not in summer 
seasons not sure they are still selling these.

More certainly, I'm pretty sure you will find a bunch of them in 
Miyajima (nearby island with red temple gate in the sea) were they is a 
full street selling Japanese crafts and souvenirs (information about 
Miyajima is in your booklet).

Thierry.

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 23:59:30 -0800

Many moons ago someone explained that, when it comes to yukata,

	white/blue = mens
	colorful = womens

Perhaps a local can confirm?

Joe

---

From: Gen Kanai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 17:07:55 +0900

On Nov 9, 2009, at 4:59 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>

Generally speaking this is true.  Men usually do not wear very  
colorful yukata or kimono. However white/blue is not the only color  
choice for men's yukata:

http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=%E7%94%B7%E6%80%A7%E3%80%80%E6%B5%B4%E8%A1%A3&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Gen Kanai

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:08:54 +0100

> Perhaps a local can confirm?
By colorful I meant with respect to "white with blue print" which is 
unisex for a matter of logistics in hotels. The ones with bright colors 
and flowers are of course for women, but there are very nice ones in 
blue, grey, black and various prints for men.

Check google, e.g. 
http://www.jlifeinternational.com/apparel/yukata/men1/y_men1_e.html

Thierry

---

From: "Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:09:09 +0100

According to the "Kimono Encyclopedia" at
http://www.japanesekimono.com/mens_kimono.htm there are some male
kimonos that are colorful and the design are "male motifs" on a blue
background.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of ext Thierry Ernst
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 10:09
To: Joe Touch
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [76attendees] Cotton Yukatas

Check google, e.g. 

Thierry

---

From: Masahiko KIMOTO <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:43:19 +0900 (JST)

> kimonos that are colorful and the design are "male motifs" on a blue

This movie shows also a style of men's kimono.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PdIrUfe4qo

# but in special case.

----
Masahiko KIMOTO, Ph.D.  / SOUM Corporation.
e-mail: [email-masked]  phone:+81.3.5453.1251

---

From: Masahiko KIMOTO <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:01:43 +0900 (JST)

I've found Gofukuya (formal Kimono shop) beside Tokyu-inn.

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?q=34.388888,132.461474&num=1&sll=34.388897,132.461469&sspn=0.00114,0.001228&gl=jp&hl=ja&ie=UTF8&ll=34.388881,132.461265&spn=0.00114,0.001228&z=19

I'm not sure this will open tomorrow, sorry.
And as far as I know, formal kimono is extremely expensive, so this may not
satisfy your request.

----

---

From: Antti Mäkelä <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:34:41 +0200 (EET)

> And as far as I know, formal kimono is extremely expensive, so this may not

   I walked by that store too, price range was starting from 30000 and most 
window items were 100000+ :)

  - Antti

---

From: Hiroyuki INOUE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:12:29 +0900

> yen. Looking for something a bit more casual..

It is out of season for yukata (usually used in Summer), however,
there are some shops that sell a reasonable price of yutaka near the venue.

- Eriben (ゑりべん in Japanese)
  The price range is from 3500 yen for female yukata,
  much higher for male.
    http://hondori.or.jp/1-eriben.html (in Japansese)
  7 minutes walk from the venue, Hondori Shopping Street (nearby Starbucks cafe)
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=34.392356,132.461193&z=16

- Higashi-Gofuku-Ten (東呉服店 in Japanese)
  The price range is from 3800 yen for female yukata,
  few stocks for male.
    http://www.nakanotana.jp/shop/higashi/index.html (in Japansese)
  10 minutes walk from the venue, north of Hondori Shopping Street
  2nd floor of the buidling "Tatemachi G House", narrow and complex place
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=34.39325,132.461396&z=17

Thank you.

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 05:44:31 +0200 (EET)
  Antti Makela <[email-masked]> wrote:
> From: Antti Makela <[email-masked]>
> Hi,
> 

-- 
Hiroyuki INOUE <[email-masked]>
Graduate School of Information Sciences,
Hiroshima City University

---

From: Antti Mäkelä <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:29:29 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Thierry Ernst wrote:
> More certainly, I'm pretty sure you will find a bunch of them in Miyajima 
> (nearby island with red temple gate in the sea) were they is a full street 
> selling Japanese crafts and souvenirs (information about Miyajima is in your 
> booklet).

   This tip paid off today. If you do the same, I found that one of the 
shops had a "50% off" on yukatas and kimonos, and gave me (relatively) 
good stuff for a paltry 2000 yen. Most of the stuff was in 5000-7000 
range.

  -- Antti.