Subject: [76attendees] RFID and toilets

From: "Zuniga, Juan Carlos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:02:39 -0500

Judging by the sophistication of the toilets here, I wonder if someone
can come up with yet another "nice and interesting" application for our
RFID badge... :)

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:18:27 +0900

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:02:39AM -0500,
 Zuniga, Juan Carlos <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 189 lines which said:

> Judging by the sophistication of the toilets here, I wonder if
> someone can come up with yet another "nice and interesting"
> application for our RFID badge... :)

Could it raise some privacy issues?

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:19:03 +0100

> can come up with yet another "nice and interesting" application for our

A nice "thank you <NN>" from the chairs maybe? On that topic
I'm fascinated by how running power that close to your private
parts doesn't seem to be a problem in this country  :-)
	
	Cheers

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:23:03 +0900

Where I work we have Toto brand toilet seats, but instead of having
the controls connected to the seat they are on a separate box on the
wall (much more convenient to reach). Anyway, we discovered that the
communication from the control to the seat itself is over an IR link
-- for April Fools day we used a learning universal remote to learn
the various commands. I couldn't quite bring myself to use it on a
victim though....

W

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Zuniga, Juan Carlos
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> Judging by the sophistication of the toilets here, I wonder if someone can
> come up with yet another “nice and interesting” application for our RFID
> badge… :)
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
>
>

-- 

Warren "Ace" Kumari
Once again I am tying a new keyboard, so please excuse the even worse
than usual typing!

---

From: Ali KAHLANE <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:27:01 +0100

It could as it could not ... raise,
As a french  saying goes "peut-être bien qu'oui peut-être bien qu'non*!

* "May be, may be not, who knows?"

Cordiales salutations

Ali KAHLANE
Président

' +213 21 542 873 6 +213 21 542 872
(  +213 661 527 094  (  +213 770 527 095
-  56, Lot Ennahda (La Côte Birmandreïs) – 16012 Alger - Algérie
* [email-masked]  : www.satlinker.com

Ce message ainsi que ses pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis  
à l'intention du ou des destinataires. Si vous recevez ce message par  
erreur, ne l'ouvrez pas, ne l'utilisez pas, contactez plutôt  
l'expéditeur en envoyant une copie  à [email-masked]. Merci.
The contents of this electronic mail are solely intended for the  
person(s) or organisation to whom it was addressed. It may contain  
privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended  
recipient(s), you are not permitted to copy, distribute or take any  
action in reference to its contents. If you have received this  
electronic mail in error please notify the sender and copy the message  
to [email-masked]. Thank you.

P  Pensez à l’environnement avant d’imprimer cet email, Satlinker est  
pour sa sauvegarde.
Please consider the environment before printing this email. Satlinker  
encourages environmental awareness.

---

From: "Zuniga, Juan Carlos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:45:24 -0500

Yeah... By application I meant more "context transfer" than really "presence".

To make things worse, I just found out that the ones in the Ladies' room have an extra "music" button...!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali KAHLANE [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, 11 November, 2009 3:27 AM
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Cc: Zuniga, Juan Carlos; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [76attendees] RFID and toilets

Cordiales salutations

Ali KAHLANE
Président

' +213 21 542 873 6 +213 21 542 872
(  +213 661 527 094  (  +213 770 527 095
-  56, Lot Ennahda (La Côte Birmandreïs) - 16012 Alger - Algérie
* [email-masked]  : www.satlinker.com

P  Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer cet email, Satlinker est  
pour sa sauvegarde.
Please consider the environment before printing this email. Satlinker  
encourages environmental awareness.

---

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:58:19 +0900

> the various commands. I couldn't quite bring myself to use it on a
Also I'm told that in one of our buildings things *were* once miswired
already and the remote control on wall A controlled toilet B *behind*
that wall. Oops.

Wilmer.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:36:16 -0800

At 7:19 AM +0100 11/11/09, Leif Johansson wrote:

>  On that topic

Toilet seats with washing are available in other countries.  The 
brand used in the ANA hotel, Toto, has a good U.S. presence.  Note 
that many of the models sold in Japan take advantage of having both 
hot and cold water available, while the models sold in the U.S., for 
example, assume that only cold is available, and thus have their own 
water heater, but as a consequence, have lower-volume washing streams.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
100 blocks of crud on the disk,
100 blocks of crud!
You patch a bug, and dump it again:
101 blocks of crud on the disk!...

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:09:26 -0800 (PST)

Not to brag but: The Toto in my room automatically raises the lid when 
I enter the room, automatically flushes afterwards and then closes the
lid. I don't think it can be programmed to detect gender, but you can
probably set it to raise both lid and seat, which currently has to be
opened by push of the remote control on the wall.

I've looked into getting a "real" Toto Washlet in the US, and it's 
around $3,000 installed, but there are cheaper alternatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 02:17:28 +0900

Interesting discussion.
I have Toto Jasmine add-on bides in my house; they're less than $1000, you
can self-install if there is a GFIed plug in the neighborhood and if you can
operate a wrench and a screwdriver.  Definitely a choice when remodeling a
bathroom and be able to install a plug close to the toilet.
Stephan
http://www.bathroomfurnituredirect.com/asp/superbrowse.asp?clid=695&caid=&sk
u=TOT3279&refid=XT98-TOT3279

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:38:06 +0900

and the mini bar in my room prepares a dry martini (shaken not stirred) 
if I return during happy hour, or a warmed cognac with a decaf espresso 
when I return after dinner.

I wish...

-- 
Ed Jankiewicz - SRI International
Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research 
Supporting DISA Standards Engineering Branch
732-389-1003 or  [email-masked]

---

From: "Shridhar Rao (shrirao)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:31:46 +0530

So first you install these toilets, then you put them on Smart Grid
(because they use power) and then the Smart grid tells you When To use
Them so that power is optimally used... Very cool!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Stephan Wenger
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 2:17 AM
To: Ole Jacobsen (ole); Randall Gellens
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [76attendees] RFID and toilets

Interesting discussion.
I have Toto Jasmine add-on bides in my house; they're less than $1000,
you can self-install if there is a GFIed plug in the neighborhood and if
you can operate a wrench and a screwdriver.  Definitely a choice when
remodeling a bathroom and be able to install a plug close to the toilet.
Stephan
http://www.bathroomfurnituredirect.com/asp/superbrowse.asp?clid=695&caid
=&sk
u=TOT3279&refid=XT98-TOT3279

> Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal Cisco Systems

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:22:25 -0800

>  the various commands. I couldn't quite bring myself to use it on a

Doesn't IR need a clear line of sight to work?  Might be a problem 
with toilets :-)

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
If you want to recapture your youth, cut off his allowance.
                                            --Al Bernstein

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:02:32 +0900

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Randall Gellens <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Doesn't IR need a clear line of sight to work?  Might be a problem with
> toilets :-)

Nah, the ceiling is reflective enough (and the receiver sensitive
enough) that a normal universal remote bounced off the ceiling paint
will work just fine (actually a little too well as the seats in all
the stalls got the "go" signal...

W

-- 

Warren "Ace" Kumari