Subject: [76attendees] question about IETF76 logo

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 21:31:21 +0100

I never found the answer to this:
Is the fish (koi?) in the IETF76 logo related to Hiroshima somehow?
I saw it also on the pavement near the Ana hotel.

	rvdp

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 05:50:50 +0900

> Is the fish (koi?) in the IETF76 logo related to Hiroshima somehow?

not particularly that i know.  certainly to japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi

and you might have seen them in ponds and streams.  they are plentiful
and get pretty big.

randy

---

From: Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 06:16:35 +0900

Well, there is the fact that the Hiroshima pro baseball team is the  
Carp, but beyond that I'm not aware of any connection.

		--Rod

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:24:03 -0600

> and you might have seen them in ponds and streams.  they are plentiful

I tripped over at least one answer to this one while shopping for gifts for 
a seventh-grader. That's the name of the Hiroshima baseball team 
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima_Toyo_Carp).

And if you can imagine starting a baseball team four years after the atomic 
bombing ... well, all I can say is, wow.

No idea why that name was selected, of course. A little further poking 
turned up http://www.hiroshima.ws/prewar.html, which says "But most identify 
city's origins in 1589, when Terumoto Mori built Carp Castle along the Ohta 
River" - so it's not JUST a baseball thing.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:32:48 -0500

The baseball team is named after the castle.  The castle is named after
Carp Inlet (koi no ura).

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:38:37 -0500

According to the concierge at the ANA and a shopkeeper, The Koi, or  
the Carp, is known for its ability to overcome adversity--  
apparently ,in the wild, it swims upriver to spawn. Therefore, when  
the city was looking for a logo for the baseball team and a logo for  
the city, the Koi/Carp was chosen.

It can be clearly said that the City has overcome adversity.

Ray

On Nov 25, 2009, at 4:32 PM, Scott Brim wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:49:13 -0500

The Hiroshima castle is also nicknamed after the carp. I think that  
the city has a long relationship with both the regular and the
ornamental varieties of carp.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:09:26 +0100

> the city, the Koi/Carp was chosen.

OK, thanks for the information! Looks like the word "carp" is
used, but not the specific IETF76 picture. At least I cannot find it.

This seems to be the baseball team logo:
http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=mqqkevfxtg6ry1mikrgv

And this the city's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Hiroshima_City.svg

	rvdp

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:00:00 +0900

Right!
According the article,
http://apike.ca/japan_hiroshima-castle.html

Hiroshima Castle is built on the Ota River delta.
The area at the fork of the Ota River was called Koi-no-ura (Carp Inlet) so the castle was nicknamed "Carp Castle".

Go Kawaguchi

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 06:32:48 GMT+0900

---

From: Hideki Sunahara <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:26:07 +0900

This logo is a dedicated design for IETF76 by Prof. Hisao Oikawa of
Hiroshima City University.
He was attended social program and Jun introduce him in host plenary on
Wednesday.

>From his word, he saw TV program which shows that it becomes popular as
hobby of breeding carps in Los Angeles.
Carp can represent culture of Japan. Of course, carp is name of pro
baseball team in Hiroshima. So, he decided to use carp
as IETF76 Logo.

This is story of Logo.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hideki Sunahara
Graduate School of Media Design, Keio University|E-Mail: [email-masked]