Subject: [76attendees] Warnings re: Oriental Hotel

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 16:04:06 -0500 (EST)

The Oriental Hotel has turned off their air conditioning for the 
winter.  I'm finding my room too warm for comfortable sleeping.

Also, the in-room net is wired instead of wireless.  And it's NAT'ed.

Anyone else found a hotel that you like and that still has 
availability?

-- Sam

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 06:55:42 +0900 (JST)

> Also, the in-room net is wired instead of wireless.  And it's NAT'ed.

While we won't be able to provide you wireless access in Oriental
hotel, IETF network will be available at around noon today (Nov 7th).

-- Akira Kato

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 07:00:30 +0900

At 4:04 PM -0500 11/6/09, Samuel Weiler wrote:
>The Oriental Hotel has turned off their air conditioning for the winter.  I'm finding my room too warm for comfortable sleeping.

FWIW, there is still air conditioning in the Mitsui Garden, but the lowest it goes is 20C, which is too warm for many people.

>Also, the in-room net is wired instead of wireless.  And it's NAT'ed.

Ditto at the Mitusi Garden, but that should not be a problem for many people.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Keith Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:31:18 +1300

> FWIW, there is still air conditioning in the Mitsui Garden, but the lowest it goes is 20C, which is too warm for many people.

Sunroute hotel air conditioning not working, but at least I can open the 
window, but still too warm for sleeping. But the view over the river and 
the Peace Park is great.

> Ditto at the Mitusi Garden, but that should not be a problem for many people.

Sunroute hotel also has wired only, but a totally open network, so I 
have plugged in a wireless access point and can use both laptop and 
iphone wi-fi simultaneously. And btw I have configured the access point 
to be totally open so if you see an access point that has my name 
attached, feel free to connect through it...

Only downsides to the Suroute hotel - my room is the size of a small 
shoebox, and the chair is too close to the floor.

Cheers

Keith Davidson

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 23:13:21 -0500

On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Keith Davidson wrote:

>> FWIW, there is still air conditioning in the Mitsui Garden, but the  
>> lowest it goes is 20C, which is too warm for many people.
>
> Sunroute hotel air conditioning not working, but at least I can open  
> the window, but still too warm for sleeping. But the view over the  
> river and the Peace Park is great.
>
> iphone wi-fi simultaneously. And btw I have configured the access  
> point to be totally open so if you see an access point that has my  
> name attached, feel free to connect through it...

Also upside: Native IPv6 in the room :)

> shoebox, and the chair is too close to the floor.

My room seems similar to any other I have had in Japan.

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 15:06:34 +0900

> winter.  I'm finding my room too warm for comfortable sleeping.

I echo that. It is unbearably hot. And I'm thin. Although I'm not naked
at the moment. Will try this later and report my findings. :)

Simon
-- 
DNS64 open-source   --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 16:11:08 +0900

I'm not seeing SSID ietf (or any of its clones) in the ANA lobby. Am I in 
the wrong place, or just kind of blind today?

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Yuji Sekiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:25:23 +0900

At Sat, 7 Nov 2009 16:11:08 +0900,
Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Not yet. We will provide wireless network tomorrow
in ANA hotel.

Akira mentioned about hotel room network.
IETF hotels, ANA, sunroute, mitsui and oriental hotel
networks switched to IETF network already.
Rihga Royal hotel is not yet switched.

-- Yuji Sekiya, WIDE Project

> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
>

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 05:50:38 -0500

> Rihga Royal hotel is not yet switched.

I just got to the Rihga and went through a click-through to get on their
network which seemed to imply I was going to get charged ¥1050 for the
privilege.  Should I call the front desk now or can I assume that at
0530 on Sunday they'll have already handled it?

Any idea when the Rihga will get switched over to IETF network?

-derek

-- 
Derek Atkins
Principal Software Engineer

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

+1 617 623 3745 | [email-masked]

PGP Corporation -- Rest Secured.(TM)

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

---

From: Yuji Sekiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 20:02:00 +0900

At Sat, 07 Nov 2009 05:50:38 -0500,

> Any idea when the Rihga will get switched over to IETF network?

We will switch tomorrow noon.

Regards,

-- Yuji Sekiya

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 06:06:20 -0500

> We will switch tomorrow noon.

Thanks, because right now it's looking like they block a bunch of
important packets (like, oh, port 88, Kerberos) so I'm having a heck of
a time getting much done.  :(

-derek

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 00:52:20 +0900

Hi
Someone who needs to hook up the Net.

Check the Host's "Network info"
http://www.ietf76.jp/network/

GO

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Nov 07 2009 20:06:20 GMT+0900

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 07:06:35 +0900

> at the moment. Will try this later and report my findings. :)

The AC has been working correctly through the night.

Thanks to anyone who's responsible for this!

Simon

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 09:10:26 -0500

> Anyone else found a hotel that you like and that still has 

I am in the Oriental, and as of 24:00 Saturday JST, the air conditioning
was working.  It also looks like I've got a real IP address, no NAT.

Dale

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 06:20:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Dale Worley wrote:
> 
>  It also looks like I've got a real IP address, no NAT.
> 
> Dale
> 

Oops, sorry, we'll call over make sure you get a real NAT address 
instead. NATs are good you know, they will save us from v4 exhaustion 
and IPv6 ;-)

Seriously, I've heard lots of comments about how well the network 
works here. Make sure you thank the WIDE folks, basically anyone
with those orange vests who all pulled off a small miracle converting 
the ANA from a wedding party to geek heaven in a manner of a few 
hours. If they look a little sleepy it's because they are!

Ole

---

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 23:33:49 +0900

> ... who all pulled off a small miracle converting

They did the same in the Righa Royal (another WPP). I'm (now) an happy  
camper here. This is the first time I see the IETF-noc take over the  
networks in a (the?) overflow hotels as well.

	jaap

(*) Wedding Party Provider

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:01:45 +0900

On Nov 8, 2009, at 11:33 PM, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
> They did the same in the Righa Royal (another WPP). I'm (now) an happy camper here. This is the first time I see the IETF-noc take over the networks in a (the?) overflow hotels as well.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.   I have an IPv6 address in the Mitsui Garden.   It's a little spooky... :')

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 07:24:02 +0900

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:01:45AM +0900,
 Ted Lemon <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 9 lines which said:

> > This is the first time I see the IETF-noc take over the networks
> > in a (the?) overflow hotels as well.
> 
> I have an IPv6 address in the Mitsui Garden.   It's a little spooky... :')

I thought it was common in Japan, often cited for its IPv6
progress. You mean that, outside of the IETF, there is no IPv6 in
hotel rooms in Japan (for instance for wedding parties)?

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:05:54 +0900

> progress.

yes, often cited.

> You mean that, outside of the IETF, there is no IPv6 in hotel rooms in
> Japan (for instance for wedding parties)?

ipv6 is not very widely actually deployed in japan.  more powerpoint
than packets.

randy

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:23:56 -0500

I was here for the codesprint on Saturday, and an interesting happened 
early on that day: IPv4 stopped working but IPv6 ran just fine. (It 
turned out to be a routing issue.) It was kind of entertaining seeing 
which sites still worked and which didn't. I was pleasantly surprised at 
the number of random sites I *was* able to get to.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:38:47 +0900

> hotel rooms in Japan (for instance for wedding parties)?

My laptop received an IPv6 address in the hostel in Tokyo I was
staying at last week. Sadly, the default gateway didn't actually seem
too happy to actually forward any of my traffic which made it a lot
less exciting. :-(

Wilmer.