Subject: [76attendees] ATM and GSM

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:25:53 -0500

Two questions:

1. Are there ATMs at Narita Airport, where I can score some yen?

2. Is there widely available GSM service in Japan (and in Hiroshima,
in particular)?

Barry

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:30:11 -0500

> 1. Are there ATMs at Narita Airport, where I can score some yen?

yes, the citibank atm on the arrivals floor

> 2. Is there widely available GSM service in Japan (and in Hiroshima,

yes, ntt, softbank, ...

randy

---

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:37:02 +0000

>> 2. Is there widely available GSM service in Japan (and in Hiroshima,
But as far as I understand it's not really GSM but 3G?

Wilmer v/d Gaast.

---

From: Katsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 00:37:43 +0900

GSM is not available in Japan. You need 3G handset .

On 2009/11/03, at 0:30, Randy Bush wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees

---

From: Robert Kisteleki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:40:01 +0100

> GSM is not available in Japan. You need 3G handset .

What happened to the "G"? :-/

Robert

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:41:35 -0500

> But as far as I understand it's not really GSM but 3G?

in particular UMTS 2100

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:42:39 -0500

> What happened to the "G"? :-/

Groupe?

---

From: Jan Johannesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:43:33 +0100

>> But as far as I understand it's not really GSM but 3G?
No GSM, but UMTS (3G) My iPhone 3G is told to work according to my 
operator and friends.

/Jan

---

From: Akira Kato <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:49:10 +0900 (JST)

> 1. Are there ATMs at Narita Airport, where I can score some yen?

Yes, in 1F, there are several ATMs.

In Terminal-1 and Terminal-2 arrival level, there is a few ATMs which
accept international bank/credit cards, including Citibank ATMs
(06:00-23:00).

> 2. Is there widely available GSM service in Japan (and in Hiroshima,

There is *NO* GSM coverage in Japan.

-- Akira Kato

---

From: Harold Huggins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:54:57 -0800

Why don't you do this over a Twitter account?

-- 
Regards,
Manager, Harold Huggins
DSL Computer
13337 East South St., 416
Cerritos, Ca 90703
Phone: 973-854-4645 x 107
Fax: 973-854-4645
Email: [email-masked]
http://dslcomputer.com
http://twitter.com/dslcomputer

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:00:41 -0500

> There is *NO* GSM coverage in Japan.

There is definitely GSM coverage in Tokyo and at Narita Airport - I
was using it several weeks ago. I can't speak for Hiroshima, though.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Jan Johannesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:03:32 +0100

> was using it several weeks ago. I can't speak for Hiroshima, though.
femtocell GSM basestations might be allowed inside buildings like 
airports but there is normally no GSM in Japan.

/Jan

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 01:06:34 +0900

Hey guys
Welcome to Hiroshima!

This site might be useful.

http://www.ietf76.jp/archives.html

(Although the search button does not work)

And you guys could learn some more from those Japanese major mobile
carriers.

ntt docomo
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/

softbank
http://mb.softbank.jp/en/

au
http://www.au.kddi.com/english/

emobile
http://www.emobile.jp/en/

willcom
http://www.willcom-inc.com/en/

And take care of your voyage

GO

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 00:25:53 GMT+0900

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 01:19:21 +0900

Hey guys
Welcome to Hiroshima!

ntt docomo

softbank

au

emobile

willcom

GO

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:22:48 -0800 (PST)

http://www.yikes.com/~ole/store/Hiroshima/Essentials.html

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:26:41 +0100

The GSM World webside gives you  info on GSM/3G coverage.

Here is the link for Japan

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_jp.shtml

According to the side :  NTT and SOFTBANK  are using 2100 MHz frequency band,  eMOBILE is using 1700 MHz.     Verify if you device is able to use one of these frequencies.

Verify also under "Roaming partners"  that your mobile network operator has roaming agreements with one of these 3.

I only verified the coverage map of NTT, and Hiroshima is covered.

Egied

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Andrew G. Malis
Sent: 02 November 2009 17:01
To: Akira Kato
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [76attendees] ATM and GSM

> There is *NO* GSM coverage in Japan.

There is definitely GSM coverage in Tokyo and at Narita Airport - I was using it several weeks ago. I can't speak for Hiroshima, though.

Cheers,
Andy
_______________________________________________
76attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
G coverage
**** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.belgacom.be/maildisclaimer

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:28:05 -0800 (PST)

Because most of the people on here have no idea wnat twitter is good 
for and consider FaceBook as far as they'd go for social diversion.

I have no idea how twitter would help in this case.

Ole

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:31:19 -0800 (PST)

Nope.

GSM operates on 850, 900, 1800 and 1900.

3G operates on 2100 with WCDMA aka UMTS.

The latter is not called GSM, the former MAY be used for "3G" service 
in some backwards parts of the world such as the USA.

I guess you did also not read:

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 11:36:22 -0500

> I have no idea how twitter would help in this case.

Let's use #IETF76 as the tag for IETF-76. I posted this

from @TMEubanks :

Essential info for #IETF76 in #Hiroshima : http://bit.ly/2Jb9Cv #IETF

That shortened URL resolves to

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Harold Huggins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:54:59 -0800

Marshall –

Sounds like a great idea for a new Twitter account (e.g. @IETF76). Are you
in the position to create the actual Twitter account or a staff member from
within the organization? 

PS: I signed up to you Twitter account (e.g., @TMEubanks or
Twitter.com/TMEubanks)most impressive.  

Regards,
Harold

---

From: Keith Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:04:58 +1300

> But as far as I understand it's not really GSM but 3G?

Correct.

NTT Docomo and Softbank fight with eachother to provide my iphone 
connection, since arrival in Narita on Saturday, and while I am in Kyoto 
en route to Hiroshima.

Seems to be several wifi providers available for data too (which could 
be preferable to $30/Meg for regular mobile roaming, and Docomo had 
consistent wifi offered from Narita to Kyoto on the Nozomi, and here in 
Kyoto.

Keith Davidson

---

From: Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:06:37 +0900

As a point of reference, American credit cards still do NOT work in  
many locations in Japan, even at some places with Visa and MasterCard  
logos (I am told that the U.S. banks update their security features at  
higher than the Nyquist frequency, and the Japanese banks don't keep  
up.)  There are a few places where they DO work: notably, the ATMs in  
Japanese Post Offices.

Most restaurants and other businesses in Japan still operate on a yen  
cash basis.  (Unlike some other places, you will find ZERO businesses  
that will actually take dollars for goods or services.)

At Narita Airport, you can change U.S. dollars for yen at booths  
outside customs.  The rate there is generally as good as you will find  
anywhere.  It is better for traveler's checks than cash, and MUCH  
better than the rates at U.S. airports, which are often usurious.  I  
believe the rate for euros is less favorable than dollars.

As to cell phones, as others have said, Japan is 3G W-CDMA only, no  
GSM, no CDMA-2000.  Moreover, the frequency band here is 2100 MHz,  
different from some places, so you may want to check your phone's  
manual.
http://gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_jp.shtml

Some info is available at http://www.ietf76.jp/general/ (thanks to  
Ole, I believe, for putting that together).

		--Rod

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:11:49 +0900

Hi
Ted

I don't know "macrobiotic" though,
this site might be good.
http://vege-navi.jp/?..2.&pref_id=34

Or to search nice restaurants for other people,

Get Hiroshima
http://www.gethiroshima.com/en/

is the most popular site for foreigners who live in Hiroshima.

And its map of "GetHiroshima Map"
http://www.gethiroshima.com/getmap

this would be precious for tourists.

You can download the PDF files and print them.

GO

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 02:45:54 GMT+0900

> On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Go Kawaguchi wrote:
> It's very useful--thank you!
>
> It would help to have a page with information for people who do are
vegetarian.   I've found this to be difficult when traveling to Japan in
the past - most soup is made with dashi, and the vegetarian items you
find at sushi bars in the U.S. are not that common in Japan.  In the
U.S. there is a tradition of Japanese restaurants called "macrobiotic"
which often have very simple vegetarian and fish dishes, but I've never
found one of these in Japan - I don't think they cater to tourists, if
they exist at all.
>
> Anyway, whether you can help with this or not, thank you for all the
information you've posted!

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:00:03 -0500

On Nov 2, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Rodney Van Meter wrote:

> outside customs.  The rate there is generally as good as you will  
> find anywhere.  It is better for traveler's checks than cash, and  
> MUCH better than the rates at U.S. airports, which are often  
> usurious.  I believe the rate for euros is less favorable than  
> dollars.

I have found the exchange rate offered by my bank for utilizing my ATM  
card for Yen to be favorable.  (Using Chase in US, 7-Bank/7-11 Japan).

Usual caveat of call your bank and advise them of your travel plans so  
you do not find the transaction declined.  I also have not been  
charged any ATM usage surcharge in the past.

	- Jared

---

From: Peny Yang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 23:43:35 +0800

+1.

I always use ATM of Bank-7 in 7-11 convenience store, everytime I go to Japan.

Peny

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Jared Mauch <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> At Narita Airport, you can change U.S. dollars for yen at booths outside
>> customs.  The rate there is generally as good as you will find anywhere.  It
>> is better for traveler's checks than cash, and MUCH better than the rates at
>> U.S. airports, which are often usurious.  I believe the rate for euros is
>> less favorable than dollars.
>
> I have found the exchange rate offered by my bank for utilizing my ATM card
> for Yen to be favorable.  (Using Chase in US, 7-Bank/7-11 Japan).
>
> Usual caveat of call your bank and advise them of your travel plans so you
> do not find the transaction declined.  I also have not been charged any ATM
> usage surcharge in the past.
>
>        - Jared

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 03:03:59 +0900

There are so many 7-11's in Japan.

Try some

http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html

GO

From: Peny Yang <[email-masked]>
To: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 00:43:35 GMT+0900