Subject: [76attendees] credit card problem at ANA hotel

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 16:23:55 +0900

My credit card (Dutch ING bank card with EMV chip) is not accepted
by the ANA Crowne Plaza hotel. This happened last week when I had
a one night stopover at the hotel.

I have phoned my bank and they said that there is nothing wrong
with my card. And indeed, I have been using it at a few other places
in Japan last week without problems.

Today, I asked the ANA hotel if they could check if my card is
accepted. Again, I told told it was refused.  So I asked them to
call their bank and the clerk at the reception had a long telephone
conversation. When he hung up I was told my card was successfully
charged now (which was not exactly whay I wanted, but better pay
now than have problems during checkout).

Did anybody else use their foreign credit card already at the hotel?

	rvdp

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 16:42:39 +0900

> a one night stopover at the hotel.

I've heard reports of the ING Bank Cards (Maestro) not being accepted  
in some countries, haven't tried during this trip yet, my ING Credit  
Card (MasterCard) was accepted in the ANA hotel.

--Olaf
________________________________________________________

Olaf M. Kolkman                        NLnet Labs
                                        Science Park 140,
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/               1098 XG Amsterdam

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:31:52 +0100

Ronald,

> a one night stopover at the hotel.

<snip/>

> Did anybody else use their foreign credit card already at the hotel?

Not at the hotel, but I had trouble paying for a train ticket at the
vending machine (Dutch ABN Amro bank card with um... I have no idea what
kind of chip). Fortunately I had enough cash.

--
Shane

---

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 18:43:19 +0900

> I've heard reports of the ING Bank Cards (Maestro) not being  
> accepted in some countries, haven't tried during this trip yet, my  
> ING Credit Card (MasterCard) was accepted in the ANA hotel.

I didn't had any problem paying with my ING Master card + chip for my  
train ticket or with the Bank card (+ chip) getting cash (at the  
Kansai airport). ING says that only some ATM's have problems with the  
chip and advices it to try an other ATM. Maybe I was just lucky

	jaap

---

From: Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:42:01 +0900

FWIW, I just had a report from another attendee than none of his  
credit cards would work to buy his shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to  
Hiroshima.

I can't stress enough that, although the situation is improving,  
credit cards are still MUCH less common here than in most of the rest  
of the world, and even places that nominally take them, you should be  
prepared for foreign cards to fail.  (i.e., have Japanese cash on  
hand, and/or a backup plan.)

		--Rod

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:11:56 +0900

> credit cards would work to buy his shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to  

The ticket vending machine at Kansai required a PIN for my German  
VISA, which I don't have.
(More complicated, once it has refused a card, it only accepts cash  
for the same transaction, no other card.
OK, I could have reentered all the information about where and when...)

Yes, cash is (and was for me) a great backup plan.

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 22:47:21 +0900

.2009/11/7 Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>:
> FWIW, I just had a report from another attendee than none of his credit
> cards would work to buy his shinkansen ticket from Tokyo to Hiroshima.
>
I had no problems with my card FWIW (Dutch Mastercard), but I bought
my ticket at the counter, don't know how much that helps?

Wilmer.

---

From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 23:46:21 +0900

Hi
Someone who wants to use the credit card in Japan.

7-11 is the most popular convenience store in Japan as well.
Check out Seven Bank's site.
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html

GO

From: Rodney Van Meter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Nov 07 2009 19:42:01 GMT+0900

> I can't stress enough that, although the situation is improving, credit
> cards are still MUCH less common here than in most of the rest of the
> world, and even places that nominally take them, you should be prepared
> for foreign cards to fail.  (i.e., have Japanese cash on hand, and/or a
> backup plan.)
> 
>         --Rod

Subject: Re:[76attendees] ATM and GSM
From: Go Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 03:03:59 GMT+0900

> There are so many 7-11's in Japan.
>
> Try some
>
> http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
>
>
> GO
>
> From: Peny Yang <[email-masked]>
> To: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 00:43:35 GMT+0900
>
>> +1.
>>
>> I always use ATM of Bank-7 in 7-11 convenience store, everytime I go
to Japan.
>>
>> Peny
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Jared Mauch <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On Nov 2, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Rodney Van Meter wrote:
>>>
>>>> At Narita Airport, you can change U.S. dollars for yen at booths
outside
>>>> customs.  The rate there is generally as good as you will find
anywhere.  It
>>>> is better for traveler's checks than cash, and MUCH better than the
rates at
>>>> U.S. airports, which are often usurious.  I believe the rate for
euros is
>>>> less favorable than dollars.
>>> I have found the exchange rate offered by my bank for utilizing my
ATM card
>>> for Yen to be favorable.  (Using Chase in US, 7-Bank/7-11 Japan).
>>>
>>> Usual caveat of call your bank and advise them of your travel plans
so you
>>> do not find the transaction declined.  I also have not been charged
any ATM
>>> usage surcharge in the past.
>>>
>>>        - Jared
>

---

From: "Bert (IETF) Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:44:16 +0100

The machine that had with big letters: ENGLISH did not accept my VISA 
nor MASTERCARD
The other machines (whcih turned out to also do english), did not accept 
my visa card, but
it did accept my mastercard (both have a pincode).

Bert

Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 76attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/76attendees
>
>
>

---

From: Wilmer van der Gaast <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:24:43 +0900

2009/11/7 Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>:
> I've heard reports of the ING Bank Cards (Maestro) not being accepted in
> some countries, haven't tried during this trip yet,

Maestro isn't a credit card and would only work in ATMs anyway, right?

I had no troubles with my Dutch (Rabobank) credit card so far, used it
for my hotel in Tokyo and getting my Nozomi ticket.

Wilmer.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:30:42 +0900

My Maestro card (ec-card) worked for retrieving banknotes from the ATM  
at a 7-11.

Gruesse, Carsten