Subject: [84attendees] Tipping for a buffet breakfast

From: Emil Ivov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 07:38:51 -0700

Are we expected to tip waiters that bring beverages during a buffet
breakfast?

If yes, what would be the average tip?

FWIW, the buffet breakfast in the Hyatt costs $26.

Emil

--sent from my mobile

---

From: Christoph Blecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:24:21 -0700

I don't know if there is any different expectation for IETF as I'm a
first-timer, but as a local, the convention would be no tip. Normally
if you go to a restaurant or something in Vancouver with a large group
(typically anything bigger than 15-20), the establishment adds on
their own gratuity charge to the bill (something in the range of
15-18%).

I would expect that such a gratuity is already added on to the cost of
the buffet itself.

Cheers,
Christoph

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Emil Ivov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees
>

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:58:55 -0400

> From: Emil Ivov [[email-masked]]
> 
> Are we expected to tip waiters that bring beverages during a buffet breakfast?

The rule I've generally heard in the US is that one does not tip for
buffets.  I would guess that the practice is the same in Canada.

Dale

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:03:39 +0200

Plus tax. I would give as a minimum $1.

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of ext Emil Ivov
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [84attendees] Tipping for a buffet breakfast

Emil

--sent from my mobile

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:06:42 -0700

> buffets.  I would guess that the practice is the same in Canada.

This Canadian (Québec) would consider that very rude.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 14:07:18 -0400

> From: Simon Perreault [[email-masked]]
> 

Very well, but how much would you tip for a buffet?

Dale

---

From: Maire Reavy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:14:00 -0700

> Sorry if I offended anyone.

I'm an American, and I typically make sure to leave a tip of $1-$2 per 
person at a buffet (whether in US or in Canada), depending on the 
quality of the food, cleanliness of the tables, etc.  If the experience 
is terrible, I don't tip.

Hope this helps.
-Maire

-- 
Maire Reavy <[email-masked]>
Mozilla

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:15:01 -0700

> Very well, but how much would you tip for a buffet?

15%

Servers (buffet or not) in Canada receive lower than minimal wage base 
salary and must declare tips in their taxes even if they haven't 
received any. They're getting super screwed by society. Be kind to them.

Simon

---

From: Maire Reavy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:22:01 -0700

> received any. They're getting super screwed by society. Be kind to them.
Excellent point.   It really does depend on how much the buffet costs.  
If the buffet is $10,  $2 per person is quite good.  If it's $25, it's not.

And I often tip 20%, if the service and experience are quite good.

-Maire

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 10:24:09 -0800

I'm both American and Canadian and always tip (possibly because I grew up
hearing cracks about Canadians being cheap tippers).  However, clearly
there's considerable variation.

---

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:26:28 +0000

Two Chinese IETF participants living is US still did not get Canada business visitor visa.
The Canada General Consulate in Los Angeles received these two applications one on June 14 (file reference number is V301779648), one on June 28 (file Reference is V30186214). Email enquiries have been sent several times, the feedback was the application receiving dates and file numbers.
Any help may reply off list. Thank u very much.

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 15:11:10 -0500

That's incorrect.  The standard tip for a buffet is 10%:
http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/a-guide-for-everyday-tipping/

Mary.

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 16:37:35 -0400

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Simon Perreault
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> salary and must declare tips in their taxes even if they haven't received
> any. They're getting super screwed by society. Be kind to them.
>

+1

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:49:14 -0700

> http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/a-guide-for-everyday-tipping/

Perhaps someone who has worked in a restaurant could enlighten - when I 
leave a tip at a full service restaurant, what percentage of that ends 
up going to the bus boys, etc.? That is the service I would be tipping 
for at a buffet.

	Thanks,
	Paul

> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>      > From: Emil Ivov [[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>]
>      >
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:59:15 -0700

i am kind of amurikan.  i tip well because i have been a waitier.

randy

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 17:37:45 -0400

At 04:49 PM 7/29/2012, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>...
>Perhaps someone who has worked in a restaurant could enlighten - 
>when I leave a tip at a full service restaurant, what percentage of 
>that ends up going to the bus boys, etc.? That is the service I 
>would be tipping for at a buffet.

IIRC, between 5 and 10%, depending again on service
(when a waiter has to clear a lot of his own tables
because the bus was out back smoking, not much but never zero).

Al

---

From: Linfeng Zheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 06:34:33 +0800

Maybe next IETF…

在 2012年7月30日星期一，Tina TSOU <[email-masked]> 写道：
> The Canada General Consulate in Los Angeles received these two
applications one on June 14 (file reference number is V301779648), one on
June 28 (file Reference is V30186214). Email enquiries have been sent
several times, the feedback was the application receiving dates and file
numbers.

-- 
谢谢，郑林峰 John Linfeng Zheng

*天地彩华*文化信息咨询有限责任公司 CHA Consulting Firm
执行董事/经理 President/CEO

电话(Tel): +86-591-83809031(O)  15306915548(Cell) 15195762065(宁NJ)
地址(Addr): 福州市福新路239号双子星大厦三楼Ｂ区810，P.R.China
博客(Blog): http://blog.sina.com.cn/23gtrees

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jul 2012 19:19:54 -0400

>> http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/a-guide-for-everyday-tipping/

Well, that's what some bureaucrat in Vermont, which isn't even in the same 
country as Vancouver, claims.

> up going to the bus boys, etc.? That is the service I would be tipping 

It's all over the place, and there's really no way to tell other than 
asking the staff someplace where the managers can't hear them.

The staff at restaurants do tough job for lousy pay.  Unless the service 
was really dreadful, leave them a few bucks.

R's,
John

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:15:42 -0500

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM, John R Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.**com/2010/12/13/a-guide-for-**
>>> everyday-tipping/<http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/13/a-guide-for-everyday-tipping/>
>>>
>>
[MB] John - Dale made the statement that in the US, one did not give tips
at buffets, which is what I was responding to. The article might be written
by some bureaucrat in Vermont, but it is referencing Emily Post:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Post
Emily Post is a very common standard for etiquette in the U.S.  Also, if
you use a very clever trick and google "buffet tip us", you will find lots
of webpages with the same recommendation - i.e., 10% for buffet
restaurants. [/MB]

>> leave a tip at a full service restaurant, what percentage of that ends up
>> going to the bus boys, etc.? That is the service I would be tipping for at
>> a buffet.
>>
>
[MB] Agreed. [/MB]

>
> R's,
> John
> ______________________________**_________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/84attendees<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees>
>

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jul 2012 04:39:27 -0500

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Post

Yes, that's the bureaucrat in Vermont.

R's,
John

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:57:38 -0500

I guess I should not be surprised that someone at IETF would confuse
etiquette and courtesy with bureaucracy.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:39 AM, John R Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Emily_Post<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Post>
>>
>