Subject: Re: [84attendees] Getting here by public transit

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jul 2012 18:40:55 -0400

> Tickets are sold from vending machines, which accept credit cards, at the
> train platform.  It's a proof-of-payment system.

Helpful tip for cheapskates (and those not wrangling small children):

The fare from the machine on the platform is $8.75 during the week, $7.50 after 
18:30 and on weekends.  The former is a two zone ticket, the latter is a one 
zone ticket which is good throughout the system nights and weekends.  Both 
include a $5 tourist tax.

The Pharmasave on level 1 and the 7-11 on level 2 sell books of ten tickets, 
$21 for ten one zone tickets or $31.50 for ten two zone tickets. You can use a 
one zone ticket to travel two zones, i.e., into the city during the day, by 
buying a $1.25 add-fare from the machine. Be sure to stamp your ticket in one 
of the blue validator machines before boarding the train.

The $5 tourist tax does *not* apply to tickets from ticket books, because what 
tourist would know to get a ticket book, eh?  Tickets are transferrable, so if 
several people arrive at once, you can share a ticket book.

Trips around downtown are all one zone fares, so if you plan to travel around 
during the week, buy a book of one-zone tickets and get an add-fare if needed 
for the trip from the airport.  Remember to save a ticket for the trip back to 
the airport, and if needed buy an add-fare for that trip, too.

If you return from the Vancouver City Centre station, there are supposed to be 
check-in kiosks so you can get your boarding pass before taking the train.

R's,
John

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:19:37 -0700

I found a link to the travel planner: http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire

Entering "YVR" for the starting point and the hotel address for the 
destination worked.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
We have, if you like, a funny definition of what is a secret
here in this town [Budapest]:  A secret is not something that
nobody knows.  A secret is something that everybody knows, but
everybody knows that it's a secret.
                                --Adam Nadasny, Hungarian poet

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 02:03:05 -0500

> Entering "YVR" for the starting point and the hotel address for the

Google maps also worked on my iPhone/iPad. It gets you off at the City 
Center stop.

I was a slug and went for the overshoot; that was a mistake, because the 
trains were backed up and the waterfront station was PACKED. If I'd 
gotten off at City Center, I would have never known that ...

Spencer

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:45:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

>> http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire
>> 
> Google maps also worked on my iPhone/iPad. It gets you off at the City Center 
> stop.
>
> trains were backed up and the waterfront station was PACKED. If I'd gotten 
> off at City Center, I would have never known that ...

I got off at city centre too because I google told me but walking to the hotelm
it seems there is one closer station: Burrand.

Paul