Subject: [84attendees] Getting here by public transit

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:15:54 -0700

For those of you still to arrive (most of you, I'd expect):

Getting to the conference hotel from the airport by public transit is
easy.  Outside of baggage, customs and immigration is a big waiting area.
Outside that, follow signs for the Canada Line.  It's a computer-controlled
train (very safe and clean when we took it) that runs every several minutes
from the airport to downtown Vancouver.  One-way fare is $8.75CAD per
adult.  Get off at Vancouver City Centre station and walk three blocks
northwest along Georgia St. to Burrard St., and turn right.  (Howe St. will
be the first one you cross if you're going in the right direction.)  The
hotel is one or two doors in.  Total travel time including the walk was
just about a half hour.

There's one station closer (Burrard Station) but you have to overshoot by a
stop, transfer, and come back one.  Walking seemed easier to us.

-MSK

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:08:44 -0700

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> **
> Can the train ticket be bought on the train, or how does that work?
>
>
>
Tickets are sold from vending machines, which accept credit cards, at the
train platform.  It's a proof-of-payment system.

-MSK

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 03:02:19 -0700

On 12-07-26 13:08, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     __
> Tickets are sold from vending machines, which accept credit cards, at
> the train platform.  It's a proof-of-payment system.
They also accept cash (CAN$) and give back the change. I think I paid
$7.50CAN. After 20 hours on planes and airports, things are starting to
get fuzzy.

Just follow Canada Line directions. Vending machines are on the
platform, so you can't miss them. There's also separate validation
machine. I put my ticket in it. It immediately gave it back and said
that the ticket is valid for next 2 hours or so. I'm not sure if that
step was necessary.

The last train runs at 0:57 (at least that was the case on Saturday
night). The first one is around 5am, but I think is varies from day to
day (5am was written on a removable part of the sign).

Plain, simple, clean and efficient.

-- 
Tomek

---

From: Ralph Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:11:33 -0700

> that the ticket is valid for next 2 hours or so. I'm not sure if that

If you buy a ticket from the vending machines it comes pre-validated.
The validation machines are for tickets bought separately in a book of
ten. Your ticket is validated if it has a time and date printed on the
back. But as you can see, it does no harm.

Note that the tickets are good on both the train and busses for the
whole 90 minutes, so you make connections or multiple trips within that
time period without penalty.

 -r

---

From: Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:40:01 -0700

Is there a ticket/card for a whole day a week, regardless of trips to be 
done?

--
Tassos

On 29/7/2012 9:11 πμ, Ralph Giles wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees
>

---

From: Ralph Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:56:20 -0700

> Is there a ticket/card for a whole day a week, regardless of trips to be

Unfortunately not. There's a monthly pass, but it's $81 dollars for the
one-zone version. For a one-week visit that's quite a premium to not
have to worry about tickets.

 -r

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 19:19:52 +0200

The one day pass is 9 dollars, which is also valid to/from the airport, and valid on the public busses too, but you have to get it from 7/11 and the like.

Details are in the meeting wiki.

Keith

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Ralph Giles
> Sent: 29 July 2012 17:56
> To: Tassos Chatzithomaoglou
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [84attendees] Getting here by public transit
>