Subject: [84attendees] Parisian WiFi

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:56:53 -0700

My wifi-only Android tablet has geolocated itself in Paris, based on where
Google (I suppose) thinks this SSID lives.

---

From: Ondřej Surý <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:58:45 -0700

On 31. 7. 2012, at 14:56, Tim Bray <[email-masked]> wrote:
> My wifi-only Android tablet has geolocated itself in Paris, based on where Google (I suppose) thinks this SSID lives.

And RIPE in Ljubljana was located on Hawai.  Yeah, GeoIP location for PIs suck.

--
 Ondřej Surý -- Chief Science Officer
 -------------------------------------------
 CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.    --    Laboratoře CZ.NIC
 Americka 23, 120 00 Praha 2, Czech Republic
 mailto:[email-masked]    http://nic.cz/
 tel:+420.222745110       fax:+420.222745112
 -------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:12:43 -0700

>> My wifi-only Android tablet has geolocated itself in Paris, based on where Google (I suppose) thinks this SSID lives.

It's the prefix.  Speedtest has the same problem.  I don't know who
the source of the mapping is.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:17:12 -0700

> It's the prefix.

i believe it is the bssid.  they believe that over gps and gsm tower.

randy

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:20:45 -0700

Yup, it's a common thing.

If you remember from RIPE 64 in Ljubljana (At least Randy and Ondrej 
were there) we were geo-located near a golf course in Honolulu :-)

~Carlos

On 2012-07-31 3:17 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:22:12 -0700

> were there) we were geo-located near a golf course in Honolulu :-)

no.  waikaloa on the island of hawai`i, at the opposite end of the main
islands from o'ahu, where honolulu is.

randy

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:46:50 -0700

> Google (I suppose) thinks this SSID lives.

There are at least two things that need to update meeting after meeting:

- Prefix-based geolocation.  Prefix-based services largely geolocate
us in Prague; some of these services (e.g., whatever Netflix uses) may
have updated today to locate us in Vancouver.

- BSSID-based geolocation.  This one has put us all over the place,
from Oregon to Hawaii to Paris.

Some of these services update their data every quarter, making it hard
to get a timely update for hardware that roams the globe.

We're slowly making contacts inside geolocation providers, and trying
to figure out how best to update the location services to reflect the
actual location of the meeting.

  Bill

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:57:06 -0700

> actual location of the meeting.

I suppose, but don't hurry, I enjoy discovering where I am when I show
up to a meeting.