Subject: [84attendees] art exhibition at the Vancouver Art Gallery

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 03:49:13 +0200

I knew from my previous trips the Vancouver Art Gallery as one of the
remarkable art museums in North America. This morning I visited the
exhibition gathering selected works from the Cone sisters collection at
the Baltimore Museum of Art. The Cone sisters were some of the best art
collectors in the first decades of the 20th century (comparable with the
Stein brothers) and their collection is considered the best gathering of
Matisse works world-wide, but other famous artists like Gaugain or
Picasso are well represented. Strongly recommended to all IETF-ers who
love art, the museum is one block from the Hyatt hotel.
http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhibitions/exhibit_collecting_matiss
e.html

Regards,

Dan

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:15:13 -0700

There's also a pop-up exhibition going on today on the plaza in front
of the gallery, on the Georgia street side.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:36:47 -0700

The "through a glass, darkly" exhibition at VanArt reminds us:

"Imperfect memory and biased desire are often blamed for our inability to adequately represent past experiences and events.   Our vision may be clouded by ulterior motives, obscured by desire, or blocked by fear and anxiety."

Not a bad way to prepare for an IETF!

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:29:20 -0700

i very strongly recommend the anthropology museum out on the ubc campus.
there is a stunning mass of plunder from the pnw tribes, from the
tlingit down to the quileute.  some things i was shocked to see on
display.

there are also diverse collections from bali to burma.  but i would
focus on the pnw.

randy

---

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 23:18:46 -0700

I think that on Tuesday is a pay as you wish day

Sent from my iPad

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 23:32:41 -0700

Only after 5pm.

Kireeti

On Jul 28, 2012, at 23:18, "Roni Even" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Sent from my iPad

On 27 ביול 2012, at 18:49, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Regards,

Dan

_______________________________________________
84attendees mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees
_______________________________________________
84attendees mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 00:12:30 -0700

Museum of Anthropology: As a long-time Vancouver resident, I couldn’t
agree more. It is clearly our #1 tourist attraction for intelligent
people.

But you have to remember... OPEN ALL THE DRAWERS.

And then go across the road to visit Nitobe, a formal Japanese garden,
very beautiful. -T

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 07:07:31 -0700

> But you have to remember... OPEN ALL THE DRAWERS.

if you have a week

> And then go across the road to visit Nitobe, a formal Japanese garden,

i live in japan, so this was less critical for me.  ymmv.

randy