Subject: [84attendees] Arrival ride-share

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:38:40 -0400

Don't forget to signup at:
http://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/84arrivals

---

From: "Murphy, Sandra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:55:59 +0000

Looks like public transit also works.  There's a skytrain line from the airport that ends at the waterford station.  The hotel is 3 1/2 blocks from the City Centre station on that line, and right next to the burrard station, which is a transfer and one stop away from the waterford station.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/images/content/schedules_and_maps/transit%20maps/transit%20connections/transit_connections_clicktoenlarge.ashx

Oh, and this is already covered on the ietf84 meeting site:

http://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/vancouverairport

Incidentally, when I was there a month ago, there was confusion about where to get tickets for the shuttle.  The sign at the (unattended) outside shuttle desk said that tickets had to be purchased inside, but no one at the information desks inside knew where.

--Sandy

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on behalf of Eric Burger [[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [84attendees] Arrival ride-share

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:19:18 -0700

I use this service all the time.  You walk out of the airport following the
signs for the Canada Line and stick your credit card in the machine there,
buy a ticket, and get on board.  It’s fast and convenient and scenic for
the first 5 minutes until you go underground.

But the economics are weird...

   1. The fare to downtown is $3.75 during business hours, $2.50 otherwise,
   but...
   2. if you just buy it on the platform, there’s a $5.00
   squeeze-the-tourists surcharge, so that’s $8.75/$7.50 total, and...
   3. the taxi to downtown is ~$35, and a little faster (except for morning
   rush hour) and more scenic, and there are usually no lineups, so...
   4. if there are 3 or more of you, the taxi starts to look like a good
   deal, except for...
   5. you can get “FareCards”, what the natives use, and dodge the extra
   $5, but...
   6. they’re only sold in the 7-11 and Pharmasave in the Domestic
   terminal, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the International termal that
   IETFers will probably be arriving at, and...
   7. they’re only sold in books of 10, mind you...
   8. they’re discounted; 10 $3.75 tickets for $31.50.

There ya go.

One thing seems clear:  For *leaving* the IETF and going back to the
airport, someone ought to organize the buying of a few books of tickets and
everyone will save a lot of money.  Also the trains are ultra-modern,
driverless, and kind of slick, and contain an interesting cross-section of
Vancouverites.

For getting into town, if you could organize someone to buy books of
tickets and mail them to you, that’s a win.  And if there are some flights
from places like the Bay Area & Austin that are going to be bulging with
IETFers, and don’t mind the side-trip to buy the tickets, that seems
plausible.

But if I were coming in and had some combination of heavy luggage,
late-night arrival time, or traveling companions, I’d just hop a cab.  -T

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Murphy, Sandra
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> Looks like public transit also works.  There's a skytrain line from the
> airport that ends at the waterford station.  The hotel is 3 1/2 blocks from
> the City Centre station on that line, and right next to the burrard
> station, which is a transfer and one stop away from the waterford station.
>
>
> Incidentally, when I was there a month ago, there was confusion about
> where to get tickets for the shuttle.  The sign at the (unattended) outside
> shuttle desk said that tickets had to be purchased inside, but no one at
> the information desks inside knew where.
>
> --Sandy
>
> From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] on
> behalf of Eric Burger [[email-masked]]
> _______________________________________________
> 84attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/84attendees
>

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 2012 14:44:24 -0400

> Looks like public transit also works.

For anyone who can walk three blocks, the skytrain is by far the best way 
to get to and from the airport.  Follow the signs to the Canada Line, buy 
a ticket from the machine on the platform (cash or plastic accepted), and 
take the train to the Vancouver City Centre station.  Walk a block west on 
W Georgia St to Burrard, turn right for the Hyatt, left for the Sheraton.

If you think you will be using the bus or train during the week, you can 
get a discounted pack of ten tickets at the 7-11 or drugstore in the 
airport.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:24:38 -0400

Be aware that the fare cards for travel to/from the airport are 2-zone cards,
but the fare around downtown is a 1-zone fare, $2.50 cash, which is cheaper
than a 2-zone fare card.  The zone map is linked to the arrival page on the wiki.

Also, a day pass is $9.00 at the airport 7-11 or drug store, only 25 cents more
than the daytime $8.75 fare to downtown, and is good on the entire transit
system (including busses) for the rest of the day.  Before boarding a train,
or when getting on a bus, remember to validate any fare card or day pass that
wasn't bought from a ticket vending machine in a station.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of John R Levine
> Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:44 PM
> To: Murphy, Sandra
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [84attendees] Arrival ride-share
>

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 2012 15:33:16 -0400

> than a 2-zone fare card.  The zone map is linked to the arrival page on the wiki.

Well, if we're getting detailed, the train between the airport and 
downtown requires a 2-zone fare before 6:30 PM.  After 6:30 and on 
weekends, a 1-zone ticket is valid for all trips.  I plan to get a book of 
1-zone tickets, and get a $1.25 addfare from ticket machines for the trips 
that are two zones.

If you buy a single ticket from the airport, there is a $5 airport 
surcharge, but not if you upgrade a ticket from a 10-trip book.

R's,
John

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Jul 2012 00:13:53 -0400

>    John> If you buy a single ticket from the airport, there is a $5
>    John> airport surcharge,
>    John> but not if you upgrade a ticket from a 10-trip book.
>
> So, get the 10-trip book, add $1.25 (this is done at a machine?) to it
> for the airport trip, and use the other tickets around town.

That's my plan.  If several people arrive at the same time, you can share 
the ticket book.  You can get the $1.25 add-fare from the machine on the 
platform.

Regards,

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:19:46 -0700

7-year-old needs a “concession” (cheaper) ticket.  -T

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>wrote:

>
> >>>>> "Tim" == Tim Bray <[email-masked]> writes:
>     Tim> 5. you can get "FareCards", what the natives use, and dodge the
>     Tim> extra
>     Tim> $5, but...
>
>     Tim> 6. they're only sold in the 7-11 and Pharmasave in the Domestic
>     Tim> terminal, which is a 5-10 minute walk from the International
> termal that
>     Tim> IETFers will probably be arriving at, and...
>
>     Tim> 7. they're only sold in books of 10, mind you...
>     Tim> 8. they're discounted; 10 $3.75 tickets for $31.50.
>
> So, since I'm arriving domestically, I got no walk, and I will want
> tickets to get back, and some tickets to get around during the week, a
> packet of 10 tickets sounds fine for my wife, son and I.
>
> Do 7 year olds need their own ticket?
>
> --
> ]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |
>  firewalls  [
> ]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net
> architect[
> ] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device
> driver[
>    Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE
> >
>                        then sign the petition.
>

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:25:12 -0700

Yes. -T
On Jul 13, 2012 5:10 AM, "Michael Richardson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>     Tim> 7-year-old needs a "concession" (cheaper) ticket.  -T
>
> To avoid buying a so many different things, will a regular ticket due?
>
> --