Subject: [85attendees] FYI: Atlanta & Zombies

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 18:01:53 +0000

FWIW, Atlanta lays claim to be the "Zombie Capital of the World."  See http://www.atlantamagazine.com/features/2011/09/01/zombies-the-walking-dead and http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/19/us/zombie-apocalypse-in-atlanta.html?_r=0.

This seems to be primarily due to the popular TV show "The Walking Dead." For those of you from outside of the U.S. who have never heard of this, see http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1v0uFms68U.

I doubt very much you need to worry about actual zombies! But if you do, good luck and build your Zombie-fighting kit carefully (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57473499-1/your-last-hope-the-$24000-zombie-survival-kit/). ;-)

Jason

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:35:49 +0200

On Oct 22, 2012, at 20:01, "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> For those of you from outside of the U.S. [...]
> 
> [...] build your Zombie-fighting kit carefully [...]

For those of us from outside of the U.S., it is probably not legal to carry a Zombie-fighting kit in Atlanta :-)

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:44:01 -0200

So we foreigners are supposed to fight the hordes of the undead
bare-handed ?

OMG !

:-)

On 10/22/12 4:35 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 85attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/85attendees

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 12:11:22 -0700

Nah, Atlanta is in Georgia, where there are some very generous CCL laws.
Not quite as easy as Texas, but pretty close..

-derek

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:18:17 -0500

> So we foreigners are supposed to fight the hordes of the undead

It doesn't necessarily look like you're required to go at it without 
weapons -- you just need to plan ahead, as is the case with any good 
defense plan.

Georgia has fairly permissive firearms laws. At first glance (if you 
trust self-published advice from random folks on the Internet), it looks 
like there should be nothing keeping you from acquiring and possessing a 
long arm, so long as you are older than 18, and have not disqualified 
yourself (e.g., by being convicted of a felony). Handguns appear to 
require a license, as do offensive blade weapons longer than 5 inches 
(about 13 cm). But, really, if you let a zombie get within knifing 
distance, you're probably not going to make it anyway.

There used to be US Federal laws that prevented foreigners from buying 
firearms except under very specific conditions, one of which was 
residency. I believe these were relaxed late last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/us/atf-eases-rules-on-gun-sales-to-noncitizens.html

As far as I can tell, 18 USC 44 §922 (y)(2) still applies, which means 
you'll need to get a hunting license before purchasing your zombie guns. 
Such licenses are generally sold at hunting goods stores, such as 
Wal-Mart, for a modest fee. I'm not sure whether Georgia issues hunting 
licenses for zombies; and, if they do, whether there is a bag limit you 
need to adhere to. Be sure to do your own research.

;-)

/a

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and weapons laws can get very confusing. 
Don't rely on anything I've said above for anything more than amusement 
value.

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:13:12 -0400

I think we are going to have our hands full dealing with the usual Zombies
attending 85. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Carsten Bormann
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 2:36 PM
To: Livingood, Jason
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [85attendees] FYI: Atlanta & Zombies

> [...] build your Zombie-fighting kit carefully [...]

For those of us from outside of the U.S., it is probably not legal to carry
a Zombie-fighting kit in Atlanta :-)

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:14:10 +0200

> So we foreigners are supposed to fight the hordes of the undead

I thought that was the job of the IAB!

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:59:53 -0700

Garlic?

(Sorry, I get my zombies and vampires all mixed up :-))

---

From: "Rafiee, Hosnieh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:12:06 +0200

Well... I have no problem with Zombies if they would like to look at my draft and render an opinion! :-) 
Vampires are welcome too ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kireeti Kompella
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 11:00 PM
To: Carlos M. Martinez
Cc: [email-masked]; Kireeti Kompella
Subject: Re: [85attendees] FYI: Atlanta & Zombies

Garlic?

On Oct 22, 2012, at 11:44 , "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> For those of us from outside of the U.S., it is probably not legal to 
>> carry a Zombie-fighting kit in Atlanta :-)
>> 
>> Grüße, Carsten
>>

---

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:09:52 +0000

I always thought that Garlic and a Cross were enough to fight off zombies. I am pretty sure that crosses are protected by one of those constitutional amendment things and therefore okay. 

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kireeti Kompella
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 5:00 PM
To: Carlos M. Martinez
Cc: [email-masked]; Kireeti Kompella
Subject: Re: [85attendees] FYI: Atlanta & Zombies

Garlic?

---

From: Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:49:12 -0700

On Oct 22, 2012, at 15:41 , "SAYKO, ROBERT J" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> -How to pick a zombie out of a crowd of IETF attendees

You nearly had me until this … clearly impossible!

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:06:49 +0000

>carry a Zombie-fighting kit in Atlanta :-)

We'd have to improvise. I'm pretty sure that day old, stale cookies from
our breaks could be fashioned into throwing stars that do a little damage.
But I think a Macbook Air, properly wielded, could really do the trick.
;-) 

Jason

---

From: John E Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:47:27 +0000

Wait, you don't want to give zombies a bad name

Yours irrespectively,

John

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:85attendees-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kireeti Kompella
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 3:49 PM
> To: SAYKO, ROBERT J
> Cc: [email-masked]; Carlos M. Martinez; Kireeti Kompella
> You nearly had me until this ... clearly impossible!
>

---

From: "Ong, Lyndon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:59:18 -0400

IETF zombies are different;  instead of a hunger for human brains, they have an insatiable desire for cookies... cookies... cookies...

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:23:57 +0200

> I thought that was the job of the IAB!

That assumes the IAB is in the business of fighting instead of creating zombies: Have you ever taken a good look at the crowd at the end of a Tech Plenary?

;-)

--Olaf