Subject: Re: [93attendees] To all presenters: choose correct examples for IP prefixes and domain names

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 15:41:58 +0000

On 7/21/15, 16:47, "93attendees on behalf of Stephane Bortzmeyer"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>We have IP prefixes dedicated for documentation, examples and WG
>presentations. They are reserved in an IANA registry
><http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-spec
>ial-registry.xml>
><http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv6-special-registry/iana-ipv6-spec
>ial-registry.xml>
>created by RFC 6890 (such as 198.51.100.0/24 or 2001:db8::/32).

I am not sure what email list is most appropriate to ask, but my question
is a follow up to this.

Does "::ffff:192.0.2.1" qualify as fit for publication as an example?

RFC 6890:

192.0.2.0/24 IPv4 address is "TEST-NET-1"

::ffff:0:0/96 is "IPv4-mapped Address"

Or maybe - 2001:db8::ffff:192.0.2.1 ?  (But that isn't a mapped address
given the reservation in 6890.)

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 08:00:32 +1000

> Does "::ffff:192.0.2.1" qualify as fit for publication as an example?

Yes, providing you are documenting a mapped address functionality.

Similarly 64:ff9b::192.0.2.1 for DNS64 and the well known prefix.

I'm sure one can come up with other examples.

-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]