Subject: [93attendees] Fwd: 93rd IETF July 19-24, 2015, Prague, Czech Republic - Final VAT Invoice nX 00000896

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 22:16:37 +0200

Hi,

I just got this strange mail below. I was a little bit puzzled since
this looked _exactly_ like a mail with an attached malware PDF file
(no real linkage to my registration - such as the registration number).
I actually didn't remember the text on the previous IETF93_Receipt.pdf.

Just as a suggestion: make the text of the automated E-Mail from VMC
more specific to the meeting registration. The current text is very
generic and actually looks quite suspicious. I often get similar malware
mails, also with the "Scanned by .... Anti-Virus, you can trust this
mail" :-))

Regards,
 Roland

-------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht --------
Betreff: 93rd IETF July 19-24, 2015, Prague, Czech Republic - Final VAT
Invoice nX 00000896
Datum: 4 Aug 2015 17:57:34
Von: VMC SASU <[email-masked]>
An: [email-masked]

Dear Sirs,

For your records, please find attached your final VAT invoice n°
00000896 for your participation at 93rd IETF July 19-24, 2015, Prague,
Czech Republic.

Best regards,

VMC Accounting Department

VMC
14-30, rue de Mantes
92700 Colombes - France
[email-masked]

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le
logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 15:31:56 +1000

+1

I haven't opened mine because it looks very suspicious.

Regards,
Elwyn

On 05/08/2015 06:16, Roland Bless wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 93attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/93attendees

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 06:24:14 -0400

Elwyn,

We were told at the time we registered that these letters would be
forthcoming. In some instances (better known to accountants than me) they
can be used by your company to recover the VAT you paid for your meeting
registration.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: Sowmini Varadhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:42:01 +0200

>    can be used by your company to recover the VAT you paid for your meeting

And, for the record, it would be nice if the VAT recovery receipt
was sent out sooner - most of us registered in time for the Early Bird
Deadline well before ietf (at which time the registration fee was
extracted from our cards), but the VAT receipt was sent after the event. 

--Sowmini

---

From: "Bless, Roland (TM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 12:47:06 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Am 05.08.2015 um 12:24 schrieb Andrew G. Malis:
> forthcoming. In some instances (better known to accountants than me)
> they can be used by your company to recover the VAT you paid for your
> meeting registration.

Yes, I actually read that, but didn't remember the fact and the
company's name more than four weeks ago. Since the text in the E-Mail
is very generic, everyone could have sent this mail by just browsing
the IETF participant list and harvesting mail addresses. I was merely
suggesting that the VMC company may include more specific text that
looks less suspicious, e.g., putting the right registration number
and a hint that they are authorized by the IETF secretariat/AMC.
Also a simple hint like: "As already announced in your earlier
purchase confirmation receipt ..." could have been helpful.
Sorry, but many successful infections these days are exactly crafted
like in this VMC mail with an attached malware PDF...

Regards,
 Roland

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 07:13:40 -0400

The same VAT amount  was listed on my original receipt. Was it missing from 
yours?

Lou

---

From: Sowmini Varadhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 13:25:23 +0200

On (08/05/15 07:13), Lou Berger wrote:
> 
> The same VAT amount  was listed on my original receipt. Was it
> missing from yours?

Oracle procedures claim that they need the "final vat receipt".
They also claim that they need this within 2 weeks of the
initial expense, but clearly that was out of my control here.

--Sowmini

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:06:40 -0400

I have not gotten mine yet...

-- 
Standard Robert Moskowitz
Owner
HTT Consulting
C:248-219-2059
F:248-968-2824
E:[email-masked]

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who 
gets the credit

---

From: "Bless, Roland (TM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 16:11:27 +0200

Hi Bob,

> I have not gotten mine yet...

Don't worry, this can take up to 45 days (quoting from the Payment
receipt PDF), and I guess starting to count after paying:

A final VAT invoice will be sent with all the required VAT information
within 45 days. Instructions
will be included on the process to follow to recover the VAT paid by
qualified attendees or their
employers. The invoice for your participation will be issued by VMC,
14-30 rue de Mantes, 92700
Colombes / France, French VAT Number: FR75523098614; Czech VAT Number:
CZ682761770.

Regards,
 Roland

> C:      248-219-2059
> F:      248-968-2824
> E:      [email-masked]
>