Subject: [99attendees] visitor SIM cards with IPv6?

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 15:41:50 +0900

All-

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there a recommended
carrier that does visitor SIM cards with IPv6 (or dualstack)?  Data-only
SIMs are fine.

I think last time I bought a Vodafone SIM in the airport when I landed in
PRG, but I don't recall whether they supported v6 or not (I thought not).

Thanks,
-Erik

---

From: Ondřej Caletka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 09:22:55 +0200

Dne 5.7.2017 v 08:41 Erik Kline napsal(a):
> All-
> 
> Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there a
> recommended carrier that does visitor SIM cards with IPv6 (or
> dualstack)?  Data-only SIMs are fine.

Hello Erik,

unfortunately, IPv6 is not deployed in either of three mobile carriers
in the Czech Republic. All you can get is a CGNATed IPv4. Public IPv4
requres some kind of individual contract.

> 
> I think last time I bought a Vodafone SIM in the airport when I landed
> in PRG, but I don't recall whether they supported v6 or not (I thought not).

Correct, there is a booth of Vodafone right at the airport. Offer for
visitors include 10GB for 800 CZK (€30/$34). AFAIK there is no booth of
any other carrier.

Other offers can be found on
 http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Czech_Republic

From the technical point of view, all networks are equivalent with
coverage in GSM 900/1800, UMTS/HSPA 2100 and LTE 800, 1800, 2100 and
2600 bands.

--
Regards,
Ondřej Caletka

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 16:45:37 +0900

> coverage in GSM 900/1800, UMTS/HSPA 2100 and LTE 800, 1800, 2100 and

That's an extremely helpful wiki page, thanks.

I think I know what I'll go with.  Separately, I wonder what happens if one
has a T-Mobile SIM and manually edits the APN type to request IPv4v6.  My
DT SIM in Berlin "just worked" when I did this, because the network
supports IPv6 but they haven't changed the defaults in the Android APN
database(s).

Thanks again.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Jul 2017 16:24:51 -0000

>> coverage in GSM 900/1800, UMTS/HSPA 2100 and LTE 800, 1800, 2100 and

As of last month, all EU networks now offer free roaming throughout
the EU, so if you have a SIM from any other EU country, you can use
it at same price as if you're in the home country.

>supports IPv6 but they haven't changed the defaults in the Android APN

Keep us posted.  I'd be fairly surprised if it worked.

R's,
John