Subject: [AAA-WG]: Vendor-Name in DRI

From: "Mark Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:22:19 -0500

I understand that the new DRI format is:

<Device-Reboot-Ind> ::= < Diameter Header: 257 >
                        { Origin-FQDN }
                        { Origin-Realm }
                     1* { Host-IP-Address }
                        { Vendor-Name }
                      * { Extension-Id }
                        [ Firmware-Revision ]
                      * { Supported-Vendor-Id }
                      * [ AVP ]
                     0*1< Integrity-Check-Value >

I am repeating my request to keep the device Vendor-Id in this message
instead of the Vendor-Name AVP. If the DRI is meant to eliminate a
configuration file mapping peer IP Address to Vendor then a well-known
integer is more machine-friendly than the free-format Vendor-Name string
which SHOULD contain the vendor name and/or product name.

I understand this change was made following objections from Diameter
implementors at Connectathon to having to obtain a Private Enterprise Code
from IANA solely for this purpose. This strikes me as a somewhat lame excuse
given how easy it is to obtain such a code (goto
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl, fill in the form, hit submit,
wait one week). Were there other issues with obtaining a Private Enterprise
Code for this purpose (inappropriate use...)?

I know that the Vendor-Id with Firmware-Revision does not fully identify the
device so a Product-Id (or Product-Name) is still required in the DRI. And I
have absolutely no objections to vendors issuing this Id/Name rather than
IANA :)

Regards,
       Mark

---

From: David Spence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:39:19 -0800

I agree.

-- 
David Spence                            email: [email-masked]
Interlink Networks, Inc.                phone: (734) 821-1203
775 Technology Drive, Suite 200         fax:   (734) 821-1235
Ann Arbor, MI 48108           
U.S.A.