Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Accounting clarifications

From: "Kobylarz, Thaddeus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:53:34 -0400

Hi Yolanda,
	If the perspectives of classical telecom standards is applied, then
there are at least two categories of "accounted services":
	1. Bearer services - "Plain vanilla" services that merely provide a
communication link.  If not free, the charges for bearer services are
usually based on flat rate, communication time duration, or the "volume" (#
of bytes) of data.
	2. Application services - These are services that add "value" to the
communication link.  An existing wireless example is short text messages (or
short message service).  The door for 3rd generation wireless application
services is wide open.  Ideas have ranged from purchasing vending machine
soft drinks to providing detailed travel directions that pinpoint a specific
street address.  Charging methods for these exotic services has not yet been
completely decided, but will include the bearer charging types.
Thad
-----Original Message-----
From: Yolanda Garcia-Serrano (ECE)
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 2:00 AM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: [AAA-WG]: Accounting clarifications

Hi, Pat

This time the concern is some accounting issues I would like to get
clarified:

12.5. Accounting-Records
 What can be exactly an accounted service? Is it an extension (Mobile IP,
NASREQ), or is it indicated
by Service-Type AVP in NASREQ, but in Mobile IP which is the service/s?
Could be the text more specific,
giving some examples?

14.1 Accounting-Record-Type
Are EVENT_RECORDs (one-time events) and START-STOP records mutually
exclusive for the same
Session-Id, i.e. if received an event record for
sessionId=x.abc.com:8888:1234567890 is/is not possible
to receive a Start/interim/stop one for same
sessionId=x.abc.com:8888:1234567890 ?

Is the type or record (EVENT vs START/INTERIM/STOP) tight to the particular
kind of service, so that
when some services are used, it is reported accounted info of kind EVENT,
and when some other services
are used, it is reported accounted info in the style Start/Interim/Stop ?

Is it possible to send (Diameter client)/receive (Accounting server) several
EVENT_RECORD for the same
Session-Id?

Same question but for measurable length services: is it possible to
send/receive several START-STOP
sequences for the same Session-Id?

For the answer of all these questions, could be added the corresponding
clarifying text on the I-D?
It would be quite helpful.

Thank you very much, and best regards
	/Yolanda Garcia