Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #13: Mandatory Supported Extensions

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:21:08 -0700

An issue was raised where the current text in the base protocol states
that all servers must support all extensions. This has caused some
confusion, as described in http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg00911.html, and extended in http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/aaa-wg/msg00913.html.

The current paragraph in -04 reads:

"  Diameter servers MUST support the Base protocol, which includes
   Accounting, and both the NASREQ and Mobile IP extensions. Diameter
   Clients MUST support the Base protocol, including Accounting, and MAY
   support any other extension that would be required to provide
   service."

I propose changing this paragraph to:

"  Diameter home servers MUST support the Base protocol, which includes
   Accounting, and both the NASREQ and Mobile IP extensions. Diameter
   proxies and redirect servers MUST support the Base protocol, and
   MAY support other extensions. Diameter Clients MUST support the
   Base protocol, including Accounting, and MAY support any other
   extension that would be required to provide service."

(btw, the terms home server, proxy and redirect servers are all defined
in section 1.3)

PatC