Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue] What to do if STR is sent to unavailable server.

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:01:44 -0400 (EDT)

All,

This issue was brought up during the meeting and it was decided
that this needed discussion on the list.  So, discuss..

Submitter name: Mark Eklund
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 24-May-2001
Reference:
Document: Base
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section:
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

* The Session-Terminate-Request requires a Destination-FQDN

* There was going to be text added to state that the Destination-FQDN
  should be that of the last place you authenticated.

* What happens if that Destination-FQDN is down?  If this is a cluster
  of servers, there may still be a need for the STR to be sent to the
  realm.

Requested change:

One or more of the following changes:

1. Do nothing.  If the authenticating server goes down, either all the
   state data is lost, or session timeouts will cleanup any STRs missed.
   A statement as such should be added to the RFC reflecting this.

2. Make the Destination-FQDN optional.  If the client receives a 
   DIAMETER_UNABLE_TO_DELIVER, the client may send the request without
   a Destination-FQDN.

3. #2 above, but allow a proxy to also do this.

4. Make the Destination-FQDN optional.  Add an STR-Destination AVP 
   that is of type integer that is sent as a part of the authentication 
   process.  This would contain the Destination-Realm and optionally
   the Destination-FQDN to which this should be sent.

====================================================================