Subject: [AAA-WG]: SLP Diameter Server Discovery

From: Thomas Panagiotis-PTHOMAS1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:53:21 -0500

Pat,

I'd propose changing:

"2.5 Diameter Server Discovery
 ...
 SLPv2 will allow Diameter implementations to discover the location of
 Diameter servers in the local site, as well as their characteristics."

to:

"SLPv2 will allow Diameter implementations in the local site to discover
 the location of Diameter severs, as well as their characteristics."

Unless of course, if SLP has the limitation that only servers within the
same administrative domain can be discovered.

-Panos

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:11:07 -0700

> same administrative domain can be discovered.

My understanding is that SLP doesn't scale as an Internet protocol, and is
well suited to be used within an administrative domain. Therefore, I would
prefer that the text remain as it is.

PatC

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:59:22 +0200 (MET DST)

> same administrative domain can be discovered.

SLPv2 does have this limitation.  SLP agents use either multicast for 
discovery or local configuration (to an administrative domain) the
agents obtain from DHCP.  The latter is important in networks where
(site internal) multicast routing is not available.

Erik

Erik