Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: Urgent Diameter Issues still pending

From: Jonathan Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

There are also two Diameter / SCTP proposals:

1. Using SCTP streams to prevent head-of-the-line blocking
2. Turning off watchdogs when using SCTP

Jon

>
>All,
>
>This is just to recap the list of issues that are still pending,
>which we really need to get some closure on in the next few days. I
>would like to have the specs out to the WG well before the Interim
>Meeting this month.
>
>As far as memory serves, the following issues are still pending, and
>I am waiting for comments:
>1. Problem with MRI - I proposed a solution to reduce req/answ cmds
>to only require a single command code, and make use of the EIR bits.
>This would remove the MRI.
>2. Problem with MRI - How do we deal with -Ind messages that cause a
>failure? Should a new message be created that is used ONLY to respond
>to bad -Ind messages??? (we could re-use the MRI for this).
>3. Boot-Id - People insist that this bug is to be fixed, and three
>alternatives have been proposed (note that they are not mutually
>exclusive).
>
>I would appreciate some comments on these proposals.
>
>Thanks,
>
>PatC
>

---

From: Tony Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:47:05 -0700

Hi Jon,

> 1. Using SCTP streams to prevent head-of-the-line blocking

Is this really something that we would define as a bug fix to the
protocol?

> 2. Turning off watchdogs when using SCTP

When you say turning off watchdogs when using SCTP. Do you mean turning of
the DWR and WDA? If so, didn't we agree on adding watchdogs back into the
Diameter protocol again, to achive a mechanism that also checks that the
diameter "application" is a live. Unless I haven't misunderstood you, this
means that we would loose this mechanism when running SCTP. Right?

BR,

/Tony