Subject: [AAA-WG]: Typo in draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-04-alpha1.txt

From: "Mark Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:42:58 -0400

Pat,

Noticed a small typo in 4.3 (AVP Data Formats) of -04-alpha1:

      Unsigned64
         32 bit unsigned value, in network byte order. The AVP Length
         field MUST be set to 16 (20 if the 'V' bit is enabled).

Should read "64 bit unsigned value".

Regards,
       Mark

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:37:43 -0700

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:39:49AM -0700, Michael Chen wrote:
> Hi
> 
> According to base protocol
>    "A Diameter server that proxies a message of type Request, Query or
>    Indication MUST append a Route-Record AVP, which includes its
>    identity."

sigh. My eyes were open for "Responses", and I completely missed
the Queries. Anyways all references to Query messages have now been
removed.

> What should we do with Failed Indication to avoid loop detection if we
> follow the above rule?

A failed response is handled just like an answer, so this is not an 
issue.

> How about change Failed Indication to another name but still use the same
> command code?

What name would you propose?

PatC

---

From: Michael Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:39:49 -0700

Hi

-Michael

---

From: Michael Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:19:21 -0700

Pat,

   It seems that I didn't properly state my question in previous email,
let me try again and explain in an example.

         (Route-Record=dia1.mno.net)   (Route-Record=dia1.mno.net)
                                       (Route-Record=dia2.xyz.com)
      +------+      ------>      +------+      ------>      +------+
      |      |  (STI indication) |      |  (STI indication) |      |
      | DIA1 +-------------------+ DIA2 +-------------------+ DIA3 |
      |      |                   |      |                   |      |
      +------+      <------      +------+      <------      +------+
      mno.net                    xyz.com  (Failed Indication) abc.com
                                        Route-Record=?????

DIA1 add route-record and send the STI indication to DIA2
DIA2 add route-record and send the STI indication to DIA3
DIA3 received the STI and don't like the message and
send STI failed indication back.

What about the route-record avp?

1. Should the DIA3 remove the route-record avps in received STI and add its
own,
   i.e treat it as a new Indication. This means that route path back may be
different.

2. Or, should the DIA3 handle the STI message just like an Answer, in other
words
the DIA3 send the STI Failed Indication to the destination in last route-record

avp and do NOT add its own?

-Michael

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:09:16 -0700

>                                        (Route-Record=dia2.xyz.com)

First off, the text specifically states:

Figure 2 depicts an example where DIA1 is an access device and receives a
request for network access from [email-masked]...

So, DIA1 is an access device, and therefore does not add a record route.
The Origin-FQDN is sufficient, just like a Request.

> send STI failed indication back.

ok

>    i.e treat it as a new Indication. This means that route path back may be

no

> avp and do NOT add its own?

correct.

Is a separate figure, or text stating that an Indication/Failed Indication is
the same as Request and answer?

PatC

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:48:07 -0700

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 10:41:08AM -0700, Michael Chen wrote:
>   Thanks for the reply, a text stating " Indication/Failed Indication should be
> treated the same as Request and Answer" would be fine. By the way, in the
> base spec it stated
> "  A Diameter server that proxies a message of type Request, Query or
>    *****Indication*****  MUST append a Route-Record AVP, which
> includes its  identity."
> Failed Indication should not apply to this rule, isn't it? So need clarify it.
> 

It's been taken care of in the spec.

Thanks,

PatC

---

From: Michael Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:41:08 -0700

Pat,

-Michael