Subject: [AAA-WG]: [Issue] Base protocol doesn't specify how to get Vendor Identifier

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:48:08 -0700

All,
                    
One issue that was opened at the Interim Meeting was that the base protocol
didn't specify how a vendor-id should be allocated. However, the current 
base protocol includes the following text:
                    
   Vendor-ID       
      In the event that the Command-Code field contains a vendor
      specific command, the four octet Vendor-ID field contains the IANA 
      assigned "SMI Network Management Private Enterprise Codes" [2]
      value. If the Command-Code field contains an IETF standard
      Command, the Vendor-ID field MUST be set to zero (0).

The above states that enterprise numbers are assigned by IANA (see 
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl for more info). Is this
sufficient, or is the URL to the IANA site required?
                     
PatC