Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue #3: Sessions that do not start

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 07:11:41 -0700

This is another sub-thread that somehow got lost. Given that I am not
making any more changes to the specs until after the Interim meeting (to
allow people to read the current specs), I am adding this one as a
pending issue.

The issue as I understand it is that the NAS needs to inform the server
when a session never started. Perhaps the user disconnected while being
authenticated via AAA, or the NAS received some AVPs it didn't like, etc.

In any case, the server needs to be notified of the fact that the session
wasn't started, otherwise it would have to wait until the expiration of
the Authorization-Lifetime.

So, this requires two changes to the spec, the first one is in
the state machine:

State     Event                          Action     New State
-------------------------------------------------------------
[...]

Pending   Successful Service-Specific    Grant      Open
          Authorization response         Access
          received

<new>
Pending   Successful Service-Specific    Send STR   Discon
          Authorization response
          received, but service not
          provided.

Pending   Successful Service-Specific    Send STR   Discon
          Authorization response
          received, but error processing
          response
</new>

And then a Termination-Cause AVP is required:

10.9  Termination-Cause AVP

  The Termination-Cause AVP (AVP Code TBD) is of type Unsigned32, and
  is used to indicate the reason why a session was terminated on the
  access device. The following values are defined:

  DIAMETER_LOGOUT               1
    The user initiated a disconnect.

  DIAMETER_CLIENT_GONE		2
    This value is used when the user disconnected prior to the
    Diameter auth response was received.

  DIAMETER_BAD_ANSWER           3
    This value indicates that the auth response received by the
    access device was not processed successfully.

  DIAMETER_ADMINISTRATIVE       4
    The user was not granted access due to administrative reasons.

  DIAMETER_LINK_BROKEN          5
    The communication link to the user was abruptly disconnected.

(any others?)

PatC