Subject: [AAA-WG]: Q: draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:13:04 -0500

Section 1.0 of draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-03.txt
"
   The Mobile IP protocol [4] requires that mobile nodes have static home
   agent and home addresses, which is not desirable in a commercial
   network.  
"

Any specific reasons on why this is not viable or desirable in a commercial
network? Is the concern here specifically the limited address space? 

-Basavaraj

---

From: Patrice Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:46:40 -0700 (PDT)

> network? Is the concern here specifically the limited address space? 

Limited v4 address space, perhaps? Imagine next generation phones all
requiring a static IPv4 address. That would be bad :(

PatC

---

From: "Fredrik Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:18:49 +0200

>>    agent and home addresses, which is not desirable in a commercial

Is this realy true? You could use the Nai extension with plain MIP and get
dynamic allocation of home address. However, you still need the static home
agent address, unless you do home agent dicovery for which you need your
home
network address.

/Fredrik

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:52:44 -0700

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 08:18:49AM +0200, Fredrik Johansson wrote:
> Is this realy true? 

in [4], RFC 2002, is certainly is. Additional RFCs have come out since
then, and support for this has been added over time.

I could modify or even remove this sentence. It has added many years ago,
and times change.

PatC

> You could use the Nai extension with plain MIP and get