Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: AAA for IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:07:16 +0300

Hi Bernard,

RE: AAAv6 draft

> Has this draft been presented within the IPNG WG? Since IPv6 
> architecture occurs within IPNG WG, the proposed IPv6/AAA 
> authentication architecture would need to be presented and 
> gain consensus within the IPNG WG before a AAA WG work item 
> could be considered.

Charlie Perkins presented the AAAv6 draft he has been writing
to the IPNG WG.  There seemed to be general consensus that 
this was good work (in general) and be persued.  It seemed to
the group that IPNG WG was not the best place for this, but
the AAA could be one possibility.  Erik Nordmark also suggested
that URP could be another home.

Of course, if I have mis-interpreted the consensus, I' sure
someone (Steve?) could correct me.

I'm in favor of this going forward.  I think that no official
decision has been made on URP (whether or not it is to be a 
WG) - perhaps the Area Directors & Work Group chairs could
discuss where the best place for this work is.

best regards,
John

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:24:49 -0700

Hello folks,

Has there been any further determination about where the
AAAv6 work should proceed?  It seems to me that it does
fit within the AAA working group now.  If an URP working
group is created in the future, and they want to have the
work item, a transfer could be discussed at that time.

In the meantime, we could start to have more discussion
about particulars.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:05:40 -0700 (PDT)

The AAA WG only considers work items resulting from a consensus draft
within a subject area WG. Until the IPNG or URP WG progresses a draft on
the subject, we cannot consider a work item relating to AAA for IPV6.