Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: AAA for IPv6

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:14:01 -0500

Pat, Charlie,

I believe that the work on standardizing a protocol that enables the use
of AAA to authorize network access for IPv6 nodes is very important and
should be started as soon as possible. In fact, I believe that such work
item is great enabler for the successful deployment of AAA and IPv6 in
commercial networks.

However, I'm not so sure whether it should be the AAA WG to take care of
such work item or if URP (when/if it becomes a WG) should work on it.
According to the discussion on the URP mailing list and the feedback at
the URP BOF at IETF 51, it seems to me that this work item would find a
better home in URP than in AAA WG. 

Perhaps we should also hear from URP people to see what they think.
Also, I'd like to hear comments from IPNG people to see why the AAA WG
is the appropriate home for this work item and what they think about
having URP as group handling the work item.

Regarding the future work of AAA WG, I hope the WG will not be dismissed
since, as Pat suggests, it would be the perfect place for other WG to
provide their input for new applications. This would ensure that new
applications can be created in a single place even if relevant to issues
discussed in other WGs. This would allow some level of coordination,
instead of having work done in several separate places with the risk of
overlapping efforts and incompatible results. 

As for the AAA WG charter, if I'm not wrong in the current charter it is
written that "The protocol must include attributes in support for IPv6
network access". What this actually mean is not so clear to me, since it
can be read in several ways. Can somebody clarify it? Form my point of
view, if the AAA WG is still alive after the current specifications are
completed, the charter already supports new applications related to
IPv6. As an example, applications such as the one proposed at IETF 51
(draft-le-aaa-diameter-mobileipv6-00.txt) should be supported thanks to
the above statement.

Thanks,
Stefano F.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Pat Calhoun [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 9:38 AM
To: Perkins Charles (IPRG)
Cc: IPng Working Group; AAA Working Group Mailing List
Subject: Re: [AAA-WG]: AAA for IPv6

I think that the AAA WG should expand its charter to allow for folks in
other WGs looking at using AAA in their application to come forth.
Perhaps
the AAA WG would be a place for the Diameter application to be created.

I am, however, afraid of boiling the ocean, so we need to be very
careful
in what work items we accept. We do, however, want to make sure that we
don't end up with n number of accounting protocols in the IETF
(something
that is actually happening as I type). So, keeping some order is a good
thing. If the WG goes away, it becomes the IESG's responsibility.

My 2 cents,

PatC
On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 05:40:31PM -0700, Charlie Perkins wrote:
> 
> Hello folks,
> 
> At the IPv6 meeting in IETF 51, there was a discussion about whether
> the AAA working group should consider the possibility of accepting a
> work item to standardize a protocol to enable the use of AAA to
> authorize network access for IPv6 nodes.  The general sense of the
> working group seemed quite positive on suggesting that such a thing
> would be appropriate.
> 
> I am specifically _not_ asking whether our AAAv6 document should
> be considered as a working group document within the AAA working
> group.  That would be a matter for the AAA working group to consider.
> I am only attempting to find out whether the general sense of the
> working group is the same as the general sense that was expressed
> at IETF 51.  If approval is voiced, or at least objections are not
> raised, then I will relay the information to the AAA working group.
> 
> Regards,
> Charlie P.
> 
> 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:23:09 -0700 (PDT)

> can be read in several ways. Can somebody clarify it? 

The current charter refers to enabling IPv6 network access in
conventional NAS applications (e.g. PPPv6). Since Mobile IPv6 work was not
complete at the time the original requirements work was done, AAA for
MIPv6 was not included in the charter. 

In general, addition of a AAA WG charter item for MIPv6 is only
appropriate when the appropriate subject area WGs have completed their
work. So work on the authentication architecture for MIPv6 needs to occur
outside AAA WG where the appropriate subject matter experts
reside. Once those experts have reached consensus and produced a
document, the AAA WG can consider that document as input. This process
ensures proper coordination between the AAA WG and subject area WGs. 

So a AAA WG work item for MIPv6 is dependent on progress within the
BURP and MIPv6 communities.

---

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:31:21 -0400 (EDT)

There is now an updated version of the base protocol mib
available at.  It reflects version 7 of the base draft.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-koehler-aaa-diameter-base-protocol-mib-01

-mark