Subject: [AAA-WG]: [issue]

From: Miguel Ángel Monjas Llorente <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:11:11 +0200

Submitter name: Miguel A. Monjas
Submitter email address: [email-masked] 
Date first submitted: 2001-08-27
Reference: 
Document: CMS-02
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section: 
Rationale/Explanation of issue: 

S/MIME is used as the "encoding" scheme within Diameter CMS Security
Application. However, I miss an explainatory chapter introducing
S/MIME (and CMS), saying which relationship there is bewteen them, why
the name of the specification is CMS Security and not S/MIME security,
and why it has been chosen (apparently the reason is darkly buried in
6.1 "This method of encapsulating AVPs allows existing S/MIME toolkits
to be used without changes in order to provide authentication within
the Diameter application layer.")

Besides, no mention about MIME encoding is made in 6.2
(CMS-Encrypted-Data AVP). The way in which several EnvelopedData
values are encoded in a single CSM-Enveloped-Data AVP isn't defined (I
assume that no nesting is employed since an "outside" envelope hides
all the content it's enveloping so that only the recipient of this
external envelope can extract the contents).

Requested change: 

a) add an introductory chapter explaining the relationship between the
different standards involved (along with the reasons to use it and so
on)

b) add clarifying text to describe the MIME operations involved in CMS
Security application

Regards

  // M.A.

---

From: Miguel Ángel Monjas Llorente <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:14:04 +0200

Sorry, I missed the title:

  S/MIME precisions