Subject: RE: [AAA-WG]: Comments on Issue 102

From: Yiwen Jiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:59:18 -0400

Hi Pat,

> I've been looking over issue 102, and the request is to add some
> descriptive text to clarify what each state means. However, the peer
> state machine does not have such text. At one point there was 
> a section
> that described each state, but this seemed superfluous, and was later
> removed. What is present is a description of the events and 
Sorry. I should have read it more carefully. :(

> actions. The
> state tables in 8.1 and 8.2 have very descriptive events, so perhaps
> Yiwen was looking for more text on the actual actions?
Well, I was actually looking for text on the *state*, esp. for Close and
Discon states. I was confused in thinking Discon was related to the
disconnection of a peer to peer connection, rather than a disconnection of a
session (shouldn't we call that termination of session?) I think  issue 104
clarifies this in describing the differences between the session and peer
connections.

If we could maybe have a statement on the what these two states mean, it
would be great. My interpretation of the difference between the two, is that
Disconn is an intermediate close state. After the shutting down session
request gets acknowledged, the state becomes Closed, which means one user
session is terminated, and the corresponding session ID becomes invalid? 

Also, what is the difference between Active and Open state? Is it the Active
state does not require STR/STA or ASR/ASA? The event "Service to user is
terminated" implies that either the Authentication-Lifetime had expired or
if this AVP was set to be zero, the user session is terminated immediately
because of the usage of Auth-Session-State?

Thanks!

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 01:51:52 -0700

> session is terminated, and the corresponding session ID becomes invalid? 

correct. 

> because of the usage of Auth-Session-State?

Open -> state is being managed
Active -> state is not managed

I'll make sure that it is clearer in the draft.

PatC