Subject: [AAA-WG]: Comments on Issue 104

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 00:50:52 -0700

All,

Here is my proposed text to resolve issue 104. Note that I've modified the text
slightly from the proposed text that was sent in with the issue. I apologize for the
formatting, since I do not currently have access to nroff ?

Comments appreciated,

PatC
----

2.6  Connections vs. Sessions

   This section attempts to provide the reader with an understanding of
   the difference between connection and session, which are terms used 
   extensively throughout this document.

   A connection is a transport level connection between two peers, used to
   send and receive Diameter messages. A session is a logical concept at
   the application layer, and is shared between an access device and a
   server, and is identified via the Session-Id AVP 

                     +--------+          +-------+          +--------+ 
                     | Client |          | Relay |          | Server | 
                     +--------+          +-------+          +--------+ 
                               <---------->       <----------> 
                            peer connection A   peer connection B 

                               <-----------------------------> 
                                       User session x

                         Figure 1: Diameter connections and sessions

   In the example provided in figure 1, peer connection A is established 
   between the Client and its local Relay. Peer connection B is established 
   between the Relay and the Server. User session x spans from the Client 
   via the Relay to the Server. Each "user" of a service causes an auth 
   request to be sent, with a unique session identifier. Once accepted by 
   the server, both the client and the server are aware of the session.
   It is important to note that there is no relationship between a connection
   and a session, and that Diameter messages for multiple sessions are all
   multiplexed through a single connection.

---

From: Jacques Caron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 23:23:51 +0200

>    request to be sent, with a unique session identifier. Once accepted by

...with a session identifier unique to that user? Otherwise it might sound 
like the session identifier is unique to an auth request (a transaction)?

>    multiplexed through a single connection.

Otherwise it looks all good! :-)

Jacques.

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 02:35:12 -0700

ok, I'll make that clarification.

Thanks,

PatC