Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 232: Session Definitions

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:08:42 -0800

All,

I have read the definitions, and do not have any problems with the
new text being proposed by Mark. It clarifies the definition of a session,
and introduces definitions for Sub-Session and Multi-Session.

Comments more appreciated,

PatC

---

From: Mark Eklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:33:27 -0500

Pat, 

After some review of the definition of session submitted with issue
232, I would like to suggest two improvements.

The suggested definitions steer you to thinking sub-sessions are
serial and multi-session is parallel.  Each can be serial and/or
parallel.  To accomodate this possibility, I made the changes below as
specified between the **.  Sub-session's first couple sentences were
re-worded and the word parallel was removed from multi-session.  Does
anyone have a problem with this re-wording?

Sub-session 

** A sub-session represents a distinct service (e.g. QoS or data
characteristics) provided to a given session.  These services may
happen concurrently (e.g. simultaneous voice and data transfer during
the same session) or serially. ** These changes in sessions are
tracked with the Accounting-Sub-Session-Id. An example of a session
divided into several sub-sessions would be a dial-up connection in
which the pre-authentication activity (call setup, resource
allocation, etc.), interactive login, and PPP communication would all
be sub-sessions.

Multi-session

A multi-session represents a logical linking of several ****
sessions. Multi-sessions are tracked by using the
Accounting-Multi-Session-Id. An example of a multi-session
would be a MLP bundle. Each leg of the bundle would be a
session while the entire bundle would be a multi-session.

-mark