Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue: Definition of Diameter agent

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:51:53 -0500

Description of issue
Submitter name: Yoshihiro Ohba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: November 12, 2001
Document: base
Comment type: E
Priority: 1
Section: 1.1, 1.3
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

In section 1.1, it is described that : 

   A Diameter agent is a node that does not authenticate and/or
   authorize messages locally, such as proxies and relay agents. A
   Diameter server is one that performs authentication and/or
   authorization of the user based on some profile. A Diameter node
   MAY act as an agent for certain requests while act as a server for
   others.

According to section 1.1, a Diameter server IS NOT a Diameter agent.

On the other hand, in section 1.3 it is descibed that :

   Diameter Agent
      
      A Diameter Agent is a host that is providing either server, relay,
      proxy, redirect or translation services.

According to section 1.3, a Diameter server IS a Diameter agent.

So it seems that there is an inconsistency on whether a Diameter
server is a Diameter agent or not, which should be fixed.

Requested change:

Excluding Diameter server from the definition of Diamer agent seems to
be consistent with remaining sections.  So I would suggest the 
following change in secttion 1.3:

   Diameter Agent
      
      A Diameter Agent is a host that is providing either relay,
      proxy, redirect or translation services.

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:57:50 -0800

fixed.

PatC

---

From: "Bob Kopacz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:25:29 -0500

Hi Pat,

By these definitions then, would you say that a Mobile-IP Home Agent
is not a Diameter Client, and is a Diameter Agent, and the service
the HA provides as a Diameter agent is translation?

   Diameter Agent

   Diameter Client
      A Diameter Client is a device at the edge of the network that
      performs access control. An example of a Diameter client is a
      Network Access Server (NAS) or a Foreign Agent (FA).

   Diameter Node
      A Diameter node is a host that implements the Diameter protocol,
      and acts either as a Client, Agent or Server.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Yoshihiro Ohba
> Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 6:52 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue: Definition of Diameter agent
> 
> 
> Description of issue

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:32:58 -0800

No, an HA is a Diameter Client. Is doesn't perform translation, it provides
network access.

PatC