Subject: [AAA-WG]: TLS negotiation

From: Steve Rich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:33:17 -0500

Hi, all.

Please forgive me for missing a boat or two here, if I have, but I
have been checking the transport draft and the base and I can't find
anything specific enough on TLS other than that it can be used.

I had read somewhere that it was being frowned upon to have a seperate
TLS port, so I wonder if we need to specify that the CER/CEA exchange
on a fledgling connection is done in the clear so that the URIs can be
exchanged before TLS is started...

Thanks,
sjr

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:19:01 -0800

Comments back from IESG was that it was OK to have two separate ports for
Diameter; one with TLS and one without.

PatC

---

From: Don Zick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:35:19 -0500

Hi Steve,

From section 2.1 of the base draft:

   The base Diameter protocol is run on port TBD of both TCP [27] and
   SCTP [26] transport protocols (for interoperability test purposes
   port 1812 will be used until IANA assigns a port to the protocol).
   When used with TLS [38], The Diameter protocol is run on port TBD of
   both TCP and SCTP.

I interpreted this as meaning the server will listen on a separate port
for TLS TCP connections.

Don

---

From: Steve Rich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:14:05 -0500

Hi, Don.

And from Pat's email, the IESG isn't against it (like I had thought),
so that makes my question moot.

Thanks, everyone.
sjr