Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 222: Routing within a domain

From: Johan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 14:21:55 +0100

The figure is great, but I think the text can be made even clearer. How 
about merging your text with something along the lines of

For routing of Diameter messages to work, all Diameter nodes within the 
same realm MUST be peers. If intermediate nodes are desired, the 
destination node MUST be in a subrealm and routes to that subrealm MUST 
exist in the routingtable on the sending node and all intermediate nodes.

j

> Did you look at my proposed text that I sent to the list? Does it solve the
> problem?

> All,
> 
> Below is the proposed text to handle this issue.
> 
> Comments welcomed,
> 
> PatC
> ----
> 
>    In order for routing of Diameter messages to work in a hierarchical 
>    administrative domain, it is necessary to make use of sub-domains
>    (see Figure 5). Routing with hierarchical domains requires the use of
>    longest match from right.
>    
>                              +---------+
>                              | abc.com |
>                              +---------+
>    
>                 +-------+                 +-------+
>                 | agent |                 | agent |
>                 +-------+                 +-------+
>    
>      +-------------+ +--------------+ +-------------+ +--------------+ 
>      | eng.abc.com | | acct.abc.com | | mkt.abc.com | | exec.abc.com |
>      +-------------+ +--------------+ +-------------+ +--------------+
>                Figure 5: Hierarchical administrative domain

---

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 09:36:29 -0800

How about the following text?

"  For routing of Diameter messages to work within an administrative domain, 
   all Diameter nodes within the realm MUST be peers. If intermediate nodes 
   are desired (see Figure 5), the destination node MUST be in a subrealm 
   and routes to that subrealm MUST exist in the routing table on the 
   sending node and all intermediate nodes. Figure 5 shows an example of
   a hierarchical network that requires the use of subrealms. In such a
   network, routing must be performed with longest match from right."

PatC

---

From: Johan Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:51:39 +0100

Brilliant.

j