Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 200: Not possible to dynamically update capabilities

From: Pat Calhoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:54:55 -0800

All,

Before I go ahead and look for a solution, I'd like to ask whether folks
believe that this is a needed feature in the protocol (or rather whether the
current protocol has a bug that doesn't allow for this to occur). This issue
was raised to support Diameter implementations that allow for applications
to be dynamically loaded, and the current spec requires a restart of the
node when this occurs.

Thoughts?

PatC

---

From: Steve Rich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:37:13 -0500

Hi, Pat.

I'm worried about scenarios like the following:

CER/A says that the server does accounting, and subsequent accounting
packets are received as normal.  At some later time, the server has a
disk space problem, so it wishes to stop receiving accounting, but not
necessarily other types of requests.

A simple solution would be to allow a CER to occur on connections in
the Open state (initiated from either side).  If the receiving side
doesn't agree, it can issue a CEA with the appropriate error code and
the connection shut down.  Otherwise, the receiving side can agree to
the new CER applications list with a CEA containing a result code
indicating success and amend its behaviour as appropriate.

sjr