Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 241 and the accounting state table

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:33:11 +0200

In reading the issue 241, we have noticed that the accounting state machine
in section 8.2 doesn't contain the event record processing. Here's a proposed
fix, three new entries to the state table. Note that I have chosen to
keep similar behaviour to START record handling in that the service isn't
given until the accounting answer is received.

(Question: is this wait really necessary, or even possible? It seems to
prevent non-real-time accounting.)

        State     Event                          Action     New State
        -------------------------------------------------------------
        Idle      Client or device requests      send       Pending
                  a one-time service             accounting
                                                 event req

        Idle      Accounting event request       send       Idle
                  received, and successfully     accounting
                  processed.                     event
                                                 answer

        Pending   Successful accounting          grant      Idle
                  event answer received          service

Jari

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:10:28 +0200

State     Event                          Action     New State
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      Idle      Client or device requests      send       Pending
                a measurable length service    accounting
                                               start req.

     State     Event                          Action     New State
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      Open      Home server wants to           send ASR   Discon
                terminate the measurable 
                length service

      Open      ASR Received                   send ASA,  Discon
                                               STR

      Open      STR Received                   Send STA   Idle

      Discon    ASA Received                   Cleanup    Idle

      Discon    STR Received                   Send STA   Idle

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 11 December, 2001 22:33
> To: Pat Calhoun; Rajaniemi Jaakko (NET/Espoo)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [AAA-WG]: Issue 241 and the accounting state table
> 
> 
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:24:15 +0200

Hello,

(This may be the second time you receive this mail because in the first time
the mail went off too early.)

Also related to the issue 241 and partly related to Jari's proposal, in
order to differentiate the event records from the measurable length service
in the state machine in the section 8.2, a text "measurable length" could be
added when it describes processing of the start/interim/stop records: 

      Open      The measurable length user     send       Discon
                service terminated             accounting
                                               stop req.

The server originated accounting session abortion is missing from the state
machine. It is not clear whether this is missing on purpose. However, I
think that this possibility should be allowed therefore following entries
should be added: 

I think that the last entry (Discon STR Received), which is copied directly
from the section 8.1 Authorization Session State Machine, tries to describe
the server behavior when it receives the STR after it has received the ASA.
However, the server is already in the idle state or in the cleanup process
when it receives the STR and therefore it is not exactly correct entry.
However, this approach was copied to the my proposal.

Best Regards, Jaakko