Subject: [AAA-WG]: Diameter SIP app: next steps

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:04:08 +0300

Hi:

This is a mail to summarize the discussion we are having at the moment 
in the Radius extension mailing list.

As you probably know, the Diameter SIP application supports this 
operational mode where nonces are generated in the Diameter server. it 
could be possible to have another mode of operation where nonces are 
generated in the Diameter client (SIP server). Actually, this is the 
approach that has been taken by the RADIUS HTTP/SIP Digest draft: there 
are two modes of operation, one where nonces are generated in the RADIUS 
server; the other where nonces are generated in the RADIUS client.

Since Diameter SIP app does not provide one of this modes, it won't be 
possible to provide a smooth transition or compatibility between RADIUS 
and Diameter. We have been asked to enhance the Diameter SIP application 
by adding the mode of operation where nonces are generated in the 
Diameter client (SIP server).

I have been doing an investigation and there is no technical concern why 
this wouldn't work. The current Diameter SIP app draft does not 
implement this mode because we never had requirements. But now we have 
them, and we should do it.

So I would be creating a new revision of the draft in the next weeks. If 
someone has any comment, please do it now.

Regards,

          Miguel
-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland