Subject: [AAA-WG]: Question about Address AVP syntax encoding in RFC3588

From: "Tolga Asveren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:52:22 -0500

I was a bit confused about certain Derived AVP encodings. If somebody could
clarify or refer to somewhere, I really would appreciate it.

RFC3588 4.3 Derived AVP Formats
1)Address

RFC talks about "most significant octet" about this AVP. This makes me
think, it is encoded numerical, because a number has most/least significant
octets but a String doesn't.
example: 1.1.1.1 is encoded as:
+--------+--------+--------+--------+
|00000001|00000001|00000001|00000001|
+--------+--------+--------+--------+

OTOH, just two lines below, we have "The AddressType is used to discriminate
the content and format of the remaining octets.". This sentence made me
think that it is encodeed as a String -ASCII based-, because it mentions
about "format".

Which interpretation is correct?

2)Actually this one is just to confirm:
ipno in IPFilterRule AVP is encoded as a String (?)

  Thanks,
  Tolga