Subject: [abfab] Last Call: <draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-13.txt> (A RADIUS Attribute, Binding, Profiles, Name Identifier Format, and Confirmation Methods for SAML) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 06:38:00 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Application Bridging for
Federated Access Beyond web WG (abfab) to consider the following
document:
- 'A RADIUS Attribute, Binding, Profiles, Name Identifier Format, and
   Confirmation Methods for SAML'
  <draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-13.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-12-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the use of the Security Assertion Mark-up
   Language (SAML) with RADIUS in the context of the ABFAB architecture.
   It defines two RADIUS attributes, a SAML binding, a SAML name
   identifier format, two SAML profiles, and two SAML confirmation
   methods.  The RADIUS attributes permit encapsulation of SAML
   assertions and protocol messages within RADIUS, allowing SAML
   entities to communicate using the binding.  The two profiles describe
   the application of this binding for ABFAB authentication and
   assertion query/request, enabling a Relying Party to request
   authentication of, or assertions for, users or machines (Clients).
   These Clients may be named using a NAI name identifier format.
   Finally, the subject confirmation methods allow requests and queries
   to be issued for a previously authenticated user or machine without
   needing to explicitly identify them as the subject.  The use of the
   artifacts defined in this document is not exclusive to ABFAB.  They
   can be applied in any AAA scenario, such as the network access
   control.

This is a second last call. The previous one was for this as an 
informational RFC, but turns out that was an error so this repeats
the last call but for proposed standard. 

There is also a normative downref  to RFC6614 which is experimental.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.