Subject: [abfab] RFC 7833 on A RADIUS Attribute, Binding, Profiles, Name Identifier Format, and Confirmation Methods for the Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 16:19:31 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7833

        Title:      A RADIUS Attribute, Binding, Profiles, 
                    Name Identifier Format, and Confirmation Methods 
                    for the Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) 
        Author:     J. Howlett, S. Hartman,
                    A. Perez-Mendez, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 65341
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7833

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7833

This document describes the use of the Security Assertion Markup
Language (SAML) with RADIUS in the context of the Application
Bridging for Federated Access Beyond web (ABFAB) architecture.  It
defines two RADIUS attributes, a SAML binding, a SAML name identifier
format, two SAML profiles, and two SAML confirmation methods.  The
RADIUS attributes permit encapsulation of SAML Assertions and
protocol messages within RADIUS, allowing SAML entities to
communicate using the binding.  The two profiles describe the
application of this binding for ABFAB authentication and assertion
Query/Request, enabling a Relying Party to request authentication of,
or assertions for, users or machines (clients).  These clients may be
named using a Network Access Identifier (NAI) name identifier format.
Finally, the subject confirmation methods allow requests and queries
to be issued for a previously authenticated user or machine without
needing to explicitly identify them as the subject.  The use of the
artifacts defined in this document is not exclusive to ABFAB.  They
can be applied in any Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting
(AAA) scenario, such as network access control.

This document is a product of the Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond web Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC