Subject: [abfab] RFC 7831 on Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond Web (ABFAB) Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 16:19:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7831

        Title:      Application Bridging for Federated Access 
                    Beyond Web (ABFAB) Architecture 
        Author:     J. Howlett, S. Hartman,
                    H. Tschofenig, J. Schaad
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      46
        Characters: 114076
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-abfab-arch-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7831

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7831

Over the last decade, a substantial amount of work has occurred in
the space of federated access management.  Most of this effort has
focused on two use cases: network access and web-based access.
However, the solutions to these use cases that have been proposed and
deployed tend to have few building blocks in common.

This memo describes an architecture that makes use of extensions to
the commonly used security mechanisms for both federated and
non-federated access management, including the Remote Authentication
Dial-In User Service (RADIUS), the Generic Security Service
Application Program Interface (GSS-API), the Extensible
Authentication Protocol (EAP), and the Security Assertion Markup
Language (SAML).  The architecture addresses the problem of federated
access management to primarily non-web-based services, in a manner
that will scale to large numbers of Identity Providers, Relying
Parties, and federations.

This document is a product of the Application Bridging for Federated Access Beyond web Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC