Subject: [Aeon] draft charter

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 02:30:54 +0000

Here is a first stab at a draft charter. It is short, incomplete, and in
need of your help. Please comment and provide improvements.

Charter proposal
Application Enabled Open Networking (AEON) Working Group

Status: Charter drafting session IETF 89
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/aeon/current/msg00018.html

Last Updated: 2014-02-28

Chair(s):
TBD

Transport Area Director(s):
Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
TBD

Mailing Lists: [email-masked]
Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aeon

Description of Working Group:
Identification and treatment of application flows is important to many
network operators. They often rely on this capability to deploy and/or
support a wide range of applications that run on their networks.
Historically, this functionality has been accomplished to the extent
possible using heuristics, which inspect and infer flow characteristics.
Heuristics may be based on port ranges, network separation, or deep packet
inspection (DPI). But many application flows in current usages are
dynamic, time-bound (short lived for some of them), possibly encrypted
(TLS for signaling), peer-to-peer, possibly asymmetric, and used on
non-dedicated devices, any combination of which renders such techniques
less effective or results in compromises to application security or user
privacy.

The Working Group will:
1. identify typical workflows for which heuristic based approaches are used
2. identify limitations of existing solutions
3. create a set of requirements for a solution based on explicit
communication between applications and the network that can be applied in
a consistent fashion across a variety of signaling protocols
4. identify a set of use cases addressable by such a solution
5. identify the information that needs to be communicated between
application and the network
6. create a framework for providing this communication between
applications and the network and that addresses the use cases
7. specify how existing signaling protocols can be enhanced to support
this framework

The Working Group is expected to work closely with other Transport area
groups.

The following topics are out of scope of this Working Group:
TBD

Deliverables:
TBD

Milestones:
TBD

Cheers,
Charles