Subject: [Aeon] FW: WG Review: DiffServ Applied to RTP Transports (dart)

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 16:04:02 +0000

FYI.
Folks on this list may want to follow and contribute to this new WG. Note,
the charter includes the following:

"This WG will write a document that explains the limitations that exist
with DiffServ when used with RTP in general as well in the specific
RTCWeb cases.²

Such limitation are discussed briefly in
draft-eckel-aeon-problem-statement-00:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eckel-aeon-problem-statement-00
AEON can solves these. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Charles

On 3/28/14, 11:29 AM, "The IESG" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Real-time Applications
>and Infrastructure Area. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The
>following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
>purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg
>at ietf.org) by 2014-04-07.
>
>DiffServ Applied to RTP Transports (dart)
>------------------------------------------------
>Current Status: Proposed WG
>
>Chairs:
>  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
>
>Technical advisors:
>  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
>
>Assigned Area Director:
>  Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
>
>Mailing list
>  Address: [email-masked]
>  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dart
>  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dart/
>
>Charter:
>
>DART - DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports
>
>Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and DiffServ code points (DSCP) can be
>used in some situations to provide quality of service (QoS). Packets with
>different markings can be reordered, which can cause poor interaction
>with a transport protocol that is sensitive to reordering. When RTP
>streams or other real-time media (sub-)flows are used with different DSCP
>values with the same transport 5-tuple, there may be transport protocol
>interactions. There are also environments where the DSCP markings are
>removed or remarked.
>
>This WG will write a document that explains the limitations that exist
>with DiffServ when used with RTP in general as well in the specific
>RTCWeb cases. The WG will coordinate with relevant WGs, including TSVWG,
>AVTCORE, MMUSIC, CLUE, RTCWEB, and RMCAT.
>
>Milestones:
>Aug 2014 - Send Informational draft to IESG on DiffServ usage
>consideration
>
>Milestones:
>
>

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:38:41 +0300

Hello Peng and Hui,

I've read your draft. It's a good reading, thank you.

One of the ways to differentiate the network service provided to individual apps is to bind them to distinct IP addresses. 
For example, an app that needs full mobility service can be bound to an IP address managed by a Mobile IP Home Agent,
whereas other apps can be bound to the IP address managed by the on-link default IP gateway.

This intelligent binding action needs to take place before the app sends its first bit of IP traffic. Hence, it's too late for DPI-based solutions to help with that.

This is another shortcoming of the DPI solutions.

Alper