Subject: Testing: some early results and net availability

From: Mike Daniele <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 98 13:24:57 -0400

Hi,

We've done some testing of DEC's subagent library vis a vis
Peer/BMC's master agent.  In general, the news is good.
We've been able to open a session, register multiple regions,
and have some SNMP Get and GetNext requests handled correctly
end to end.

I wanted to note 2 things that might help avoid problems
for others:

1) SearchRange ending OID

        Cannot be identical to the SearchRange starting OID.
        7.2.2.2 states that for next/bulk, a subagent must return
        a variable such that

>       - If the ending OID is not null, the variable's name
>         lexicographically precedes the ending OID.

        If the SearchRange's ending oid == its starting oid,
        the subagent can't legally return anything.

2) Register PDU's optional range upper bound (r.upper_bound)

	This field is present only if r.range_subid is non-zero.

	If r.range_subid is 0, the PDU ends with r.region.  It does
	NOT contain (a 0-valued) r.upper_bound in this case.

	Note to editors:  We should discuss r.upper_bound in sections
	6.2.3 and 6.2.4 in a separate paragraph, just like we do with
	all the other fields.  We should also include an example
	that has no upper bound.

We have master and subagents available for testing (via TCP over the
internet) if other folks are interested in doing so before
the bakeoff.

Thanks Lauren @ BMC, the testing so far has been very valuable.

Regards,
Mike