Subject: Re: open issues in agentX MIB

From: "Smitha Gudur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:45:24 PDT

Hi, Mike,

There is relationship between sessionID defined in RFC2257 and
the agentxSessionIndex.

Current description for agentxSessionIndex includes:

"Index values assigned for a given registration are constant for the 
lifetime of this table."

is inappropriate and needs to be removed.  

The other part of the description is consistent with the RFC.

"A unique index for the subagent session. Note that if a
subagent's session with the master agent is closed for
any reason its index should not be re-used, therefore,
the values of agentxSessionIndex may not be contiguous and
will generally not be the same for the same subagent
across multiple sessions."

thanks for the inputs.

regards
smitha

>From [email-masked] Fri Jul 31 13:25:54 1998
>Received: from mithatch-ultra.cisco.com (mithatch-ultra.cisco.com 
[171.69.50.33]) by brownale.cisco.com (8.8.4-Cisco.1/8.6.5) with ESMTP 
id NAA08617; Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
>Received: from cisco.com (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by 
mithatch-ultra.cisco.com (8.8.5-Cisco.2-SunOS.5.5.1.sun4/CISCO.WS.1.2) 
with ESMTP id NAA12501; Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
>Sender: [email-masked]
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:24:35 -0700
>From: Mike Thatcher <[email-masked]>
>X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.03C-CISCOENG [en] (X11; U; SunOS 5.5.1 sun4u)
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>To: Smitha Gudur <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: open issues in agentX MIB
>References: <[email-masked]>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>If there is a relationship between sessionID as defined in RFC2257and
>agentxSessionIndex then the relationship needs to be clarified and the
>description of agentxSessionIndex made consistent with the definition 
in
>the RFC. (See sections 6.1, 6.2.16, 7.1.1(3))
>
>MikeT
>
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:32:19 -0400

>At 7/31/98 02:45 PM, Smitha Gudur wrote:

Hi Smitha,

>There is relationship between sessionID defined in RFC2257 and

Logically, that's true.  The value used for agentxSessionIndex
to identify the session should be the same as that used for
the SessionID as given by the master agent to the subagent.
The problem Mike alludes to here derives from the "should not
be re-used" semantics used for agentxSessionIndex in the MIB
but which are missing from the RFC references to SessionID.

I would argue that the RFC text should be tightened in this
respect, to stipulate non-reuse; but it is clear that a
reasonable argument can be made for not stipulating it and
leaving it up to the implementation.

In my view, however, management apps will be able to use
the MIB better to monitor the overall AgentX system if
the non-reuse semantics of agentxSessionIndex are carried
over to SessionID.  This value, via agentxSessionIndex,
is critical to all three of the tables currently defined
in the MIB [btw, we should all be reading from the -02.txt
version of the MIB document, dated April 14, 1998, at this
point]:

	agentxConnectionTable
	agentxSessionTable
	agentxRegistrationTable

In thinking through the relationships, it seems that we
need to add agentxConnIndex to the AgentxSessionEntry and 
agentxSessionIndex to the AgentxRegistrationEntry.  In this
way, each registration entry can point to the session in
which it lives and each session can point to the connection
in which it lives.

[Note to Smitha and Lauren here in particular:]
The rationale and the consequent OBJECT-TYPE macros
should be obvious (I think), but if not let me know.

>"Index values assigned for a given registration are constant
>for the lifetime of this table."
>

Right.

>The other part of the description is consistent with the RFC.

That's the debatable part.

>thanks for the inputs.

Likewise.

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------