Subject: AgentX "WG Last Call", etc.

From: "Bert Wijnen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 99 17:55:25 DST

Ref:  Your note of Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:22:19 -0400

Subject: Re:   AgentX "WG Last Call" for draft-ietf-agentx-mib-03.txt

In general, I think the doc looks quoite good.
Here are some comments I have (as a WG member):

- I agree that we should put it on the Standards Track

- That means we need to remove "experimental" from the abstract.

- Pls change "SNMPv2 SMI" into "SMIv2" (multiple places)
  and I think that SNMPv1 in the abstract should read SMIv1.

- I would suggest to add a revision clause to the MODULE-IDENTITY.
  So just before :

      ::= { mib-2 ? }  -- To be assigned by IANA

  pls insert:

      -- revision history

      REVISION     "yymmdd000000Z"   -- use same date as LAST-UPDATED
                                     -- RFC-Editor assigns RFC xxxx
      DESCRIPTION  " Initial version, published as RFC xxxx."

  thatway, an extracted MIB will get a ptr to the RFC.

- I would suggest to add a range to the Unsigned32 indices so
  that a value of zero is excluded as a valid value.
  We do not want an index to be zero.

- Maybe the references to MIB II (sysDescr) should be
  replaced with refenreces to RFC1907.

- I am surprised about agentxSessionAdminStatus.
  Can the value "up" be SET via SNMP? I doubt it.
  And after a set to "down", is the row then gone?
  If so, then maybe a RowStatus is the better TC to use??

- I would suggest that the various xxxTimeOut objects should
  have MAX-ACCESS of read-write. You would want a manager to
  be able to reset an excessive value requested by a subagent, no?
  Of course it is OK to put a MIN-ACCESS of read-only in the
  compliance section.

- Sect 7, talks about the existence of read-create objects,
  but I do not see any. So... we need to fix that. I guess that
  is what you get when template text gets used.

Bert

---

From: Lauren Heintz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 10:08:23 -0700

Hi Bert,

>   If so, then maybe a RowStatus is the better TC to use??

Mike Thatcher and I suggested this, I think at Chicago AgentX session,
and I recall I mentioned this on the list even earlier than that. 
However, no one seemed thrilled about using RowStatus (didn't even get
any head-nodding or your famous, mmmms) so I dropped the issue.  And
yes, "down" is equivalent to "destroy", and "up" can't be set via SNMP.

>   Of course it is OK to put a MIN-ACCESS of read-only in the

agentxSessionTimeout and agentxRegTimeout (MAX-ACCESS, read-only)
descriptions indicate these values are reflective of the subagent
protocol element.  So, do we want to be able to both report the protocol
elements AND be able to override them as you suggest?  Might we instead
redefine the agentxDefaultTimeout so that it also defines a timeout
ceiling, or perhaps add a agentxMaxTimeout variable?  Of course, if
reporting the protocol elements isn't essential, we could just change as
you suggested and rewrite the descriptions, etc..
 
>   is what you get when template text gets used.

Since the text reads "read-write and/or read-create", it seems
technically correct, although maybe a little too generic.  So, are you
suggesting that
we change the boilerplate, or just edit this one reference, or both?

Tks,
Lauren