Subject: Re: A Favour

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:00:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> From: [email-masked]
> From: future.futsoft.com!ravinderv (Ravinder Verma)
> To: [email-masked] ('agentx')
> Subject: A Favour 
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:20:13 +0530
...
(reformatted for readability):
>       1. Is fully qualified instance registration bit
> (INSTANCE_REGISTRATION) needed to be set for leaf registration ? Or it
> should be set only while registering full row in a table.

RFC 2257 clause 6.2.3 ("The agentx-Register-PDU") on page 24 says:

|        If r.region is in fact a fully qualified instance name, the
|        INSTANCE_REGISTRATION bit in h.flags must be set, otherwise it
|        must be cleared.  The master agent may save this information to
|        optimize subsequent operational dispatching.

<draft-ietf-agentx-rfc-update-00.txt> says the same thing on page 23.

(reformatted for readability):
>       2. What is partial instance registration ? If  S1 (sub-agent)
> have registered one sub-tree (1.3.6.1.2.1.2) and a registration PDU comes
> from S2 with oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.7 [First column of a row with index
> 7] , then how to determine that this is part/column  of a Row ?
...

The master agent doesn't need to figure this out.  The subagent is
responsible for setting/ clearing this bit correctly.

If the subagent does not set this bit when it should, the master agent
might send more probes during a get-next walk than would otherwise
be necessary, since it would not be able to know simply from the
other registration information that a subtree had been exhausted and
that further probing of that subtree would be unproductive.  If the
subagent sets this bit when it shouldn't, then the master agent might
inappropriately skip over portions of this subtree during a walk.

This is described in the third paragraph of "r.subtree" on page 23 of
<draft-ietf-agentx-rfc-update-00.txt>.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------