Subject: Request IESG consideration of AgentX protocol and MIB specs

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:57:51 -0400

Hi Bert,

This a formal request from the Chair on behalf of the AgentX
Working Group that the following AgentX documents be reviewed
by the ADs and then considered by the IESG for publication as
Proposed Standards:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-agentx-rfc-update-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-agentx-mib-04.txt

The first document is the update to (and replacement for)
RFC 2257; the second is the AgentX MIB.  We request that
these two documents be considered and processed together
as they are closely related.  We are recommending that
the protocol specification (RFC 2257 replacement) recycle
at Proposed Standard status due to the length of time
between the two versions and to the nature of some of
the changes made to the docment.

We believe these documents represent the solid consensus
of the WG.  The work of the design team (authors, editors,
bake-off-#1 participants, and regular contributors to the
AgentX e-mail list) has been widely reviewed at several
past IETF meetings and on an on-going basis on the e-mail
list.  We know of no open technical issues at this time
and no strong technical objections to any of the technical
resolutions.  We are aware of a sizable number (at least 8)
of commercial, academic, and open-source implementations,
either being deployed to end-users already or under
active development at this time.  We have tentative plans
for a bake-off-#2 in the near-term future and anticipate
additional implementation and deployment activity as a
by-product of that event.

While many, many people have contributed to the evolution
of the AgentX specifications into IETF-worthy standards
documents, I would especially like to thank the following
individuals for their considerable donations of time,
intelligence, and effort in bringing the current versions
to completion:

	- Mark Ellison, editor
	- Mike Daniele, primary protocol author
	- Lauren Heintz, primary MIB author
	- Randy Preshun, tireless e-mail list admin,
                         technical contributor, and
                         overall AgentX evangelist.

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------