Subject: Table Sharing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:16:45 +0530

Hi ,
	When a Agentx Subagent registers a MIB region containing a sharable table like ifTable , then how the rest of the agentx subagents will get themselves registered for a particular row.  As per the RFC rows cannot be shared then how the second or so subagent can register itself for that table. 

If the answer is ,  you should not register sharable table then how one sub-agent knows that the MIB region i am registering may contain a sharable table.

Thanks in advance....
Ravinder.

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked] ('agentx')
> Subject: Table Sharing 
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:16:45 +0530
...
> 	When a Agentx Subagent registers a MIB region containing a sharable table like ifTable , then how the rest of the agentx subagents will get themselves registered for a particular row.  As per the…
...

See RFC 2257, especially clause 7.1.5.1.  Since the registrations for
individual rows will have more sub-identifiers than the registration
for the table as a whole, there is no problem; it's not even necessary
to resort to looking at the priority field to resolve the requests.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "rows cannot be shared".  While this
would certainly be unusual, at a protocol level it is indeed possible
for different subagents to take responsibility for different columns
in the same table, resulting in a situation where different subagents
will end up with resposibility for different objects in the same
conceptual row.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------