Subject: GetNext !!!!!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:27:25 +0530

Hi -
[Ravi] Hello , 

> 
> When S1 has registered full Interfaces( 1.3.6.1.2.1.2 ) subtree/region,  it means is that the table is entirely local to it, and that all the rows (instances) in the table belong to S1. Now if S2 registers 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.[1-22].7, it should get an error saying that the row is not free.

[Randy] This is simply not true.  Both RFC 2257 and the current agentx draft
clearly allow for this case; supporting such configurations was a design
requirement for AgentX.

[Ravi] As per RFC and mail clarifications S2's registration is accepted. Now a GetNext query comes getnext(1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1) , how to decide the first lexicographical successor for this OID , as S1 need not register its all the rows(fully Qualified instances) individually.

Regards,
Ravinder.

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 14:46:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

(Ravinder - please check your mail reader's control options for
the messages you're sending.  It's sending anction UUCP-style
addresses, as well as failing to put reasonable line breaks
in your text, making the messages painful to read on other
systems.)

> From [email-masked] Mon Aug  9 14:22:46 PDT 1999
> From: [email-masked]
> From: future.futsoft.com!ravinderv (Ravinder Verma)
> To: [email-masked] ('Randy Presuhn')
> Cc: [email-masked] ('agentx')
> Subject: GetNext !!!!!
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:27:25 +0530
...
(reformatted for readability)
> [Ravi] As per RFC and mail clarifications S2's registration is
> accepted. Now a GetNext query comes getnext(1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1) , how
> to decide the first lexicographical successor for this OID , as S1 need
> not register its all the rows(fully Qualified instances) individually.
...

See RFC 2257 clause 7.2.1 (especially point (2)), and the definition of
"authoritative region" in clause 7.1.5.1 of the same document.

For further clarification, see <draft-ietf-agentx-rfc-update-00.txt>
clauses 7.1.4.1 and 7.2.1.  

In your specific example, if the probe value falls within the longer
subtree, that's the place to start.  Otherwise, S1 would be asked first.
In either case, it's entirely possible that it may be necessary to ask
other subagents before coming up with the final answer.  This may result
from, among other things, subagents registering regions for instances
which do not yet exist, objects with data types not supported by the
management protocol in use (e.g. Counter64 in SNMPv1), or access control.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------