Subject: E-mail error recovery - request for assistance

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:46:45 -0400

Hi,

Intel's listserv had a severe problem with that a non-English
language HTML posting for the WinSNMP list the other day (late
Saturday night, I believe).  Since I am the "error owner" of
that list, this problem resulted in the listserv sending over
200MB of bogus error messages to my mailbox (hosted on a very
old Ultrix box!) in about a 24-hr period. This caused a series
of problems for me -- I was out of town, working over a 28.8Kbps
dial-up line most of the time) and did not have sys admin privs
on the Ultrix box -- and a loss of most new messages on Sunday
and Monday (10/17-18).

If you sent any messages to the AgentX list or if you sent any
message directly to me during this time frame, please [re-]send
a copy of them to me now.  I do not mind getting duplicates of
messages I did receive, so don't hesitate to err on the side of
caution.  [Mark, I am up to speed on Bert's ok of the BCP 14
and security section edits and your transmittal to the I-D
editor...thanks.]

If you received any messages via the SNMPv3 list or any which
included me on the cc: list during that frame, please forward
a copy to me. (I know that's unlikely, but just in case.)

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.  (This kind
of problem still occurs a couple of times a year with
Intel's listserv...but that's an improvement over what it
was like in the first year or two!)

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

Don't forget that the current month's archives of the agentx list are
available at ftp://amethyst.bmc.com/pub/agentx/archives/current

Earlier archives are also there, with names of the form
ftp://amethyst.bmc.com/pub/agentx/archives/YYYY-MM, e.g:
ftp://amethyst.bmc.com/pub/agentx/archives/1999-09

(yes, amethyst.bmc.com is the same machine as ftp.peer.com is
the same machine as hanoi.bmc.com)

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------