Subject: AgentX bake-off II and IETF meeting status

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:46:53 -0400

Hi,

Every implementor who responded to the tentative bake-off II
arrangements (week of Nov 8-12, DC area) said that they would
not be able to participate at that time; most said that they
would want to do so at some other time; one explicitly offered
to do interoperability testing over the net around that time
(and others have proposed this in the past).  Therefore,
bake-off II will not be held at this time as a physical
gathering.  I will post one or more separate messages later
in an attempt to (loosely) organize net-based interoperability
tests for that time frame and beyond.

Given the sizable percentage of implementors who do not
plan to attend the DC IETF and the recent publication of
updated versions of our two docs -- with all known issues*
addressed -- I do not see any need for or value in our
WG holding a separate meeting at the DC IETF.  I will
request, however, that either the DISMAN and/or SNMPv3
meeting(s) (or, preferably, the Ops Area meeting, if
one is held) allocate a brief agenda slot for an AgentX
update.

[* The latest rev (.03) was just distributed by the
I-D editor...it differs from .02 only by making more
explicit the use of BCP 14/RFC 2119 meanings for
"MUST", "SHOULD", etc. and the specific inclusion
of IPSec as a suggested TLS protocol in the Security
section.  These revs were requested during the IESG
review of the spec.  Thanks, Mark!]

Some issues we can work on the list in the coming
weeks then are:

    - Net-based interoperability test (arrangements
      and results)
    - Implementation reports
    - Charter revs or WG retirement
    - Others...?

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------