Subject: a note on process

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:00:14 -0800

as co-ad for o&m, i am going to stick my nose in some process issues 

  o i am handling this because your normal area director is an author
    of one of the rfcs, just as bert took over dnsop when my root ops
    draft was under discussion

  o if a wg member has issues with a document, they should be posted
    to the list.  the ietf is an open process and, since publishing
    private email is not socially acceptable, sending private email
    to a co-chair, an ad, ... is not a useful response to a wg
    document or last call process.

  o hence, as they can not be discussed in the open, issues sent only
    privately are likely to be ignored.

  o if someone has concerns with the process, that's fine.  but raise
    them when the problems occur or risk them being ignored.  waiting
    until a lot of time has passed is not too hard to interpret as
    subversive intent, and that's a perception we know none of us
    would want to encourage.

thanks for listening.

randy