Subject: HTTPbis status

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:14:10 +1100

HTTPbis will be meeting at IETF74; draft agenda available at:
   http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09mar/agenda/httpbis.txt

Note that we've provisionally left some time at the end of the meeting  
to discuss HTTP-related drafts that are not currently within the scope  
of HTTPbis (time permitting). If you have such a draft and would like  
to give a *brief* presentation on it, please contact me.

* HTTP Revision

We've had a quiet period in the last few months, but the editors have  
been working in the background; they expect to have the -06 generation  
of the HTTPbis drafts published before the meeting; they will  
incorporate more editorial changes (including the ABNF conversion) as  
well as several issue resolution proposals for consideration by the WG.

* Security Properties

The security properties document is currently expired. Although it is  
a chartered deliverable, there doesn't currently seem to be a will in  
the WG to complete it, and its editors believe that it is not  
currently complete.

The future of this document is one of the things that we'll discuss in  
San Francisco.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:07:02 +0100

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> ...
> ...

These drafts have been submitted yesterday. They contain quite a number 
of substantive changes, plus major rewrites in Parts 1 (URIs, 
Connections, and Message Parsing) and 6 (Caching). All non-editorial 
changes should be mentioned in the "Changes Since ..." appendices; diffs 
are available from tools.ietf.org (linked from the HTMLized
versions) and from 
<http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/draft-ietf-httpbis/diffs/>.

The top changes are:

- Many parts of Part 6 (Caching) have been rewritten from scratch,
   resulting in a more concise spec. There are several open issues and
   TODOs related to this change, so please carefully review this part in
   general, and also pay attention to the inlined comments.

- All the issues around the BNF format and implied LWS have been
   resolved, see <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/36> for
   details.

- In Part 1, the HTTP URL definition has been updated to be based on RFC
   3986, quite some text in the introductory chapters has been updated,
   and lots of URI related history (better summarized in RFC 3986) has
   been removed.

We think the issue below have been resolved with these drafts, and are
planning to close them soon:

- #30: "Header LWS" (<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/30>)
- #63: "RFC2047 encoded words" 
(<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/63>)
- #74: "Character Encodings in TEXT" 
(<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/74>)
- #77: "Line folding" (<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/77>)
- #83: "OPTIONS * and proxies" 
(<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/83>)
- #85: "Custom Ranges" (<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/85>)
- #111: "Use of TEXT" (<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/111>)

Best regards, Julian