Subject: IPR

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:54:11 -0700

In the SIP Forum, we're spending literally thousands of dollars on  
legal fees to bring our IPR policy into the 21st Century.  As the  
fellow from Nokia mentioned, there are serious anti-trust issues to  
consider.  As Ted mentioned, if the policy becomes too onerous, then  
people will be told by their employers not to participate.

I would also offer that having a special IPR policy for Apps from the  
rest of the IETF can create legal problems, as well.

Echoing Dave here: as someone who is doing a lot of IPR work right  
now, I am amazed at how little the legal system makes sense.  As  
engineers, we expect things to work in a rational, logical manner.   
Well, the legal system is logical, but to an outsider the logic is  
incredibly complex and counter-intuitive.  What this means is if we do  
create a policy (which I am NOT in favor of), we will need to spend a  
few thousand on lawyers, too.

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:02:05 -0400

+1 (or several)

--On Monday, March 23, 2009 09:54 -0700 Eric Burger
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> In the SIP Forum, we're spending literally thousands of
> dollars on legal fees to bring our IPR policy into the 21st
> Century.  As the fellow from Nokia mentioned, there are
> serious anti-trust issues to consider.  As Ted mentioned, if
> the policy becomes too onerous, then people will be told by
> their employers not to participate.
> 
> I would also offer that having a special IPR policy for Apps
> from the rest of the IETF can create legal problems, as well.
> 
> Echoing Dave here: as someone who is doing a lot of IPR work
> right now, I am amazed at how little the legal system makes
> sense.  As engineers, we expect things to work in a rational,
> logical manner.  Well, the legal system is logical, but to an
> outsider the logic is incredibly complex and
> counter-intuitive.  What this means is if we do create a
> policy (which I am NOT in favor of), we will need to spend a