Subject: port registration (was: Re: [VCARDDAV] Lars DISCUSS on draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav)

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:21:38 -0600

The revised procedures in draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports might have an
interesting impact on AppsArea technologies, since we have registered a
fair number of ports, DNS SRV records, etc. Has anyone here thought much
about the potential impact?

/psa

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] Lars DISCUSS on draft-ietf-vcarddav-carddav
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:04:47 -0400
From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
To: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
References: <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

Hi Simon,

- --On October 22, 2009 3:30:50 PM -0400 Simon Perreault
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> 1). Register the new service names as aliases for ports 80/443
>> 2). Register 2 new port numbers
>> 3). Don't do any change in this area, wait for
>> draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports to get published.
>
> 3 is the way to go.
>
> Naive suggestion: I think IANA will merge its port-numbers with Stuart
> Cheshire's list once draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports is published. Why not
> add the SRV in that list until then?

SRVs are scattered around all over the place. Stuart's list is one place,
several RFCs also define some. At this point it would only confuse matters
to have it in two places. The authors of iana-ports are fully aware that
they need to go through RFCs and Stuarts data to pre-populate the new
registry.

- --
Cyrus Daboo

_______________________________________________
VCARDDAV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:41:46 +0100

> about the potential impact?
Peter, I am going to be the sponsoring AD for this document and going to 
be tracking registry population after that.
This is not to say that I wouldn't need any help, or that I really know 
what the impact going to be ;-).

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:26:57 -0700

Hi Peter,
At 13:21 22-10-2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports and 
draft-gudmundsson-dns-srv-iana-registry are set on a collision course.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:44:36 -0600

> what the impact going to be ;-).

When is it due for IETF LC? I'll try to take a close look at it before
then (and naturally we can have someone from the apps-review team go
over it, too).

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:31:45 +0300

> draft-gudmundsson-dns-srv-iana-registry are set on a collision course.

True. I note that the first is an adopted IETF work item in TSVWG and  
the other one isn't.

(Disclaimer: I'm an author of the first one.)

Lars