Subject: Call for Papers about managing information overload

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 23:13:24 -0400

Subscribers here may be interested in the call for papers for a
special issue of IEEE Internet Computing magazine, devoted to
information overload (posted here with permission of the ADs).  Please
don't discuss it here, but respond as noted in the CfP.

Barry

---------------------------------------
Overcoming Information Overload

Final submissions due: 1 March 2010
Publication date: November/December 2010

Please email the guest editors by 15 February 2010 with a brief
description of the article you plan to submit (see
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/iccfp6 ).

Internet users today are inundated with information. We get masses of
email; we’re interrupted by instant messages; and we must remember to
check social networking sites, news sources, and company Web sites
daily — or even many times each day. Web searches produce more hits
than we can sift through, as we try to find what we’re really looking
for.

Managing this much information is a very complex task. “Syndication”
technology—such as RSS and Atom—and feed readers might provide some
support, but issues related to the analysis, classification,
evolution, retrieval, and other information are open problems.
Information overload, therefore, represents a big challenge for
software applications seeking to help users by collecting, grouping,
classifying, indexing, selecting, searching, ranking, and filtering
pieces of information.

This special issue seeks original articles examining the state of the
art, open problems, research results, tool evaluation, and future
research directions in overcoming information overload. Appropriate
topics include
   * building and managing information repositories;
   * extracting, matching, classifying, clustering, measuring
     similarity, analyzing natural language, and indexing
     applied to information;
   * retrieving, aggregating, and visualizing information;
   * personalizing, ranking, collaborative filtering, and
     keyword-based search engines; and
   * syndication technology and feed readers.
---------------------------------------