Subject: [apps-discuss] I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:49:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The application/json-merge-patch Media Type
	Author(s)       : James M Snell
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-09-17

Abstract:
   This specification defines the application/json-merge-patch media
   type and its intended use with the HTTP PATCH method defined by RFC
   5789.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-appsawg-json-merge-patch-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:06:49 -0700

hello james.

>     type and its intended use with the HTTP PATCH method defined by RFC

i think it would be useful if the draft mentioned 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6902 and explained the differences, and 
maybe even tried to explain when to use one and when to use the other. 
after all, both specs are about how to use PATCH requests with JSON.

shouldn't the media type name be application/json-merge-patch+json with 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6839 in mind?

thanks and cheers,

dret.

-- 
erik wilde | mailto:[email-masked]  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |
            | http://dret.net/netdret http://twitter.com/dret |

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:25:42 -0700

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Erik Wilde <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[snip]
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6902 and explained the differences, and maybe
> even tried to explain when to use one and when to use the other. after all,
> both specs are about how to use PATCH requests with JSON.
>

Ok, I can take a stab at something here.

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6839 in mind?

I'd be fine with application/merge-patch+json

- James