Subject: [apps-discuss] Comments on draft-masinter-multipart-form-data-00.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:27:16 +0100

Hi Larry,
Some comments after reviewing your draft:

In Section 2:

    As with all multipart MIME types, each part has an optional "Content-
    Type", which defaults to "text/plain".  If the contents of a file are
    returned via filling out a form, then the file input is identified as
    the appropriate media type, if known, or "application/octet-stream".
    The inclusion of multiple files returned for a single file input
    result in multiple parts, one for each file, with the same name.

I would insert references to where various mentioned media types are 
defined.

    As with all multipart MIME types, each part has an optional "Content-
    Type", which defaults to "text/plain".  If the contents of a file are
    returned via filling out a form, then the file input is identified as
    the appropriate media type, if known, or "application/octet-stream".
    The inclusion of multiple files returned for a single file input
    result in multiple parts, one for each file, with the same name.

It took me multiple passes to understand the last sentence. I am not 
sure I got it. Can you insert an example or qualify various use of "file"?

3.5.  Charset of text in form data

    For example, a form with a text field in which a user typed 'Joe owes
    <eu>100' where <eu> is the Euro symbol might have form data returned
    as:

       --AaB03x
       content-disposition: form-data; name="field1"
       content-type: text/plain;charset=windows-1250
       content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable
       Joe owes =80100.
       --AaB03x

Are you missing an empty line after "content-transfer-encoding:"? This 
doesn't look like a proper MIME fragment.

6.  Media type registration for multipart/form-data

        Media Type name:
          multipart
        Media subtype name:
          form-data
            Required parameters:
           none
        Optional parameters:
           none

This doesn't look correct. What about "boundary"?

Example multipart/form-data would be useful. I had to search the web to 
find some.

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:41:38 +0900

Hello Larry,

> doesn't look like a proper MIME fragment.

It would be great to have an example with UTF-8, too. This would look as 
follows:

--AaB03x
content-disposition: form-data; name="field1"
content-type: text/plain;charset=UTF-8
content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Joe owes =E2=82=AC100.
--AaB03x

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:53:53 -0700

> > Are you missing an empty line after "content-transfer-encoding:"? 

fixed

> content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

I'm reluctant to give an example that doesn't correspond to a 
real world example. I don't know anyone who creates quoted-printable.

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:48:24 +0900

Hello Larry,

> real world example. I don't know anyone who creates quoted-printable.

I just copied the windows-1250 example, so I'm a bit surprised that you 
use that with quoted-printable, but claim that nobody creates 
quoted-printable.

Or are you trying to say that nobody creates quoted-printable with 
UTF-8? If that's the case, I can of course redo my example with base64.

Regards,    Martin.