Subject: [apps-discuss] Fwd: Help test IMAP access to the IETF archives

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:39:13 -0500

For those who are not watching IETF General:

Please help get this word out.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Help test IMAP access to the IETF archives
Date: 	Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:37:59 -0500
From: 	Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Folks -

We have been testing IMAP access to the IETF archives for several days
now, with volunteers from the tools-discuss and ietf chairs lists, and
it's been going well. Thank you if you've been helping test already (and
please continue to do so)!

Now we need more testers. We'd like to get a simple measure of load, so
we'd like to have as many folks as are willing accessing the test
instance at the same time with various clients during the next week. It
would be particularly helpful to have several people using the system
next Thursday.

If you're willing to take the time to do this, please drop me a note
directly (I've set reply-to on this message) so I have a feel for how
many people are participating.

Instructions for accessing the test instance are below.

Please report any issues you find directly to me. Do not open tickets
with the secretariat. Be aware that there are known issues with the data
on the test instance (some lists have blank or truncated messages) that
have not yet been addressed - it would be good to report any more you
find to me, but they won't get fixed immediately.

Please use [email-masked] for general conversation. If you have
feature requests, that's a good place to send them. One request we've
had from a few testers so far is to provide an additional shared folder
with a mailbox for each list that has only the "recent" messages from
that list - perhaps the last 6 months. It would be good to hear from
folks, after they've tried what's there now, whether that would be
useful to spend development time on, or if that time would be better
spent elsewhere.

The test instance is getting mail with only a slight delay after it
comes through the lists - you should see current traffic.

Please resist the temptation to download the entire archive of every
list. I've done it - it's huge (~28G when MailMate does it) and it it's
a severe torture test for clients. Interrupt your client if it starts
trying to do that to you. Caching a copy of this test instance will not
be useful when we deploy the production instance.

Instead, what would help us the most is to configure your client to
access those lists you normally subscribe to, and to spend some time
next week browsing and searching those lists and exploring a few lists
that are new to you.

You can find the details for where the test instance is listening, and
rudimentary instructions for setting up a few clients, at
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/tools/trac/wiki/ImapTesting>. Please
improve that page as you see the opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any time you can give this.

RjS