Subject: [apps-discuss] Document Action: 'Guidance on Markdown: Design Philosophies, Stability Strategies, and Select Registrations' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-use-cases-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:57:07 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidance on Markdown: Design Philosophies, Stability Strategies, and
   Select Registrations'
  (draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-use-cases-07.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the ART Area General Applications Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown-use-cases/

Technical Summary

This document elaborates upon the text/markdown media type for use
with Markdown, a family of plain text formatting syntaxes that
optionally can be converted to formal markup languages such as HTML.
Background information, local storage strategies, and additional
syntax registrations are supplied.

The WG is requesting Informational status for this document.  The
main work of specifying Markdown syntax variants is done outside of the
IETF.  This document, which was split off from
draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown, consists mainly of brief descriptions
and references for several Markdown variants, and presents IANA registrations
for them.

Review and Consensus

This document was spun off from the above-named draft to try to keep
the other one shorter.  They each received the same amount of attention
and criticism.

The author asserts that he and others have already begun to use the
media type in prototype form within open source and commercial products.

Personnel

Murray Kucherawy is the document shepherd.
Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.