Subject: [arch-d] Hybrid UniMulticast Routing research : reasonable approach ?

From: Alexey Eromenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:11:07 +0200

Rex Buddenberg, rightfully complained, that I don't offer any Multicast
innovation in my IP-FF protocol stack.

IP-FF is not just a copy-paste on existing TCP/IP ideas, but it is an
innovation attempt across all the Internet stack,
where I attempt to improve the Internet at various places, and see what
sticks.

After some Multicast research, I have came out with a very different
approach. Not even close to traditional Multicast.
Hybrid Unicast + Multicast routing, called UniMulticast Routing.

That is: if a destination is visible in Multicast Routing table, it is
routed using Multicast approach, but if it is not in routing table, then it
is routing using Unicast. This implies, that we need source address and two
(!) destination addresses in IP header:
Multicast group address as well as Unicast address. Group address can be
sent inside IP options.

This new approach requires some new protocols: namely IGMPv4, and Enhanced
PIM to work.

Here is my new research paper on this approach:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NbDEaItYCrVNgYwOsNF6cps7dCO_VgLzb9bWLxXu3b0/edit?usp=sharing

It is incomplete, but gives a rough idea on my approach.

Is this reasonable ?
-- 
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"