Subject: [armd] Special issue on Cloud computing assessment of IEEE Transaction on dependable and secure computing: Deadline July 15

From: "Eng. Salvatore Distefano" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:56:06 +0200

Dear Cloud mailing list Admin,
could you please post the message below?
Best regards,
  Salvatore Distefano

Apologies for cross posting

TDSC Special Issue on Cloud computing Assessment: metrics, algorithms,
policies, models,
and evaluation techniques
Cloud Computing is emerging as a promising paradigm capable of
providing a flexible, dynamic, resilient and cost effective
infrastructure for both academic and business environments. It aims at
raising the level of abstraction of physical resources toward a
“user-centric” perspective, focused on the concept of service as the
elementary unit for building any application. All the Cloud’s
resources, both physical/hardware and logical/abstract (software,
data, etc) are therefore provided “as a service” and therefore the
design and the implementation choices of a Cloud follow a “service
oriented” philosophy. Cloud is actually a real, operating and
effective solution in commercial and business context, offering
computing resources and services for renting, accessed through the Web
according to a client-server paradigm and regulated by specific
Service Level Agreement (SLA). Apart from low costs, some other
reasons behind the success of Cloud are: user-centric interfaces
acting as unique, user friendly, points of access for users’ needs and
requirements; on-demand service provision; Quality of Service (QoS)
guaranteed offers, and autonomous systems for managing hardware,
software and data transparently to users.
There are several open issues in the Cloud computing paradigm, mainly
concerning information security (confidentiality and integrity),
trustiness, interoperability, federation, fault tolerance, etc., that
very often need to be evaluated altogether looking for performance and
dependability indexes and their correlation to SLA and QoS. In
particular, efforts are still required in order to formally specify
quantities, measures and requirements, to implement adequate protocols
and policies, to model and investigate a Cloud infrastructure, system
or subsystem, to monitor and predict the behaviour of a specific
subsystem and so on.

TOPICS OF INTERESTS
It is the aim of the special issue to discuss novel ideas, taxonomies,
ontologies, protocols, methods, algorithms, techniques and tools to
specify, represent, evaluate and in-depth study Cloud computing
features. Any contribution related to qualitative and quantitative
evaluation is welcome. The main topics include, but are not limited
to:
•       QoS metrics, quantities, ontologies, taxonomies, representation
methodologies and languages of Cloud;
•       Cloud static and dynamic SLA processes and protocols;
•       Monitoring and predictive models and techniques for Cloud systems;
•       Resilience, fault tolerance, reliability, availability and
dependability techniques, models, measurements and
case studies on Cloud computing systems;
•       QoS Assessment of Software Services and Service-Based Systems,
Service Oriented Architectures;
•       Optimization of Cloud Configurations;
•       Security and trustiness in Cloud, techniques, algorithms and tools;
•       Cloud performance and performability, scalability of performance and
availability models;
•       Billing, costs and business models of Cloud;
•       Assessment of utility and Cloud computing market;
•       QoS-based scheduling and load balancing in Cloud;
• Virtualized system: QoS assessment, QoS-based migration policies,
VM-hypervisor reliability and
rejuvenation policies and assessment;
•       Cloud survivability and energy-aware models, measurements and
case studies;
•       Cloud reputation and recommendation techniques, analyses and tools;
•       Cloud gaming and social networking statistics, measurements
and case studies;
•       Comparative assessments (Cloud, Grid, P2P, Clusters, ...);
•       Quantitative evaluations of the impact of Cloud;
•       Workload characterization and CloudBursting.

IMPORTANT DATES
Deadline for submission of full paper: July 15, 2012.
First round of review: September 30, 2012.
Revised versions due: November 15, 2012
Final round notification: December 15, 2012
Expected date of publication of special issue: April 1, 2013.

   Papers submitted to this special issue for possible publication
must be original and must not be under consideration for publication
in any other journal or conference. TDSC requires meaningful technical
novelty in submissions that extend previously published conference
papers. Extension beyond the conference version(s) is not simply a
matter of length. Thus, expanded motivation, expanded discussion of
related work, variants of previously reported algorithms, incremental
additional experiments/simulations, may provide additional length but
will fall below the line for proceeding with review.
Guidelines for submissions can be found at:
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/tdsc/author Interested authors are
asked to preliminary submit title and abstract of their contribution
to guest editors by email.

SPECIAL ISSUE GUEST EDITORS
Salvatore Distefano - Politecnico di Milano, 20133 Milano, Italy.
Email: [email-masked]
Kishor S. Trivedi - Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA. Email:
[email-masked]
Antonio Puliafito - University of Messina, 98166 Messina, Italy.
Email: [email-masked]