Subject: [Asdf] the ASDF charter seems.... done?

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 13:54:47 -0400

It has been worked at:
   https://github.com/one-data-model/ietf108

It seems to be done. Would you agree?

But, maybe some people are still on vacation and haven't had change to object.

----

# Charter proposal for an ASDF WG

- Name: A Semantic Definition Format for Data and Interactions of Things (ASDF)
- Revision: 0.1.0

## Background

  Data and interaction models of IoT devices today exhibit unneeded
  diversity between different industry ecosystem standards development
  organizations (SDOs), hindering interoperability across these
  ecosystems with little discernible benefit from the diversity.
  Early 2019, [One Data Model (OneDM)][2] was started to bring several
  IoT SDOs and IoT device and platform vendors together under a broad,
  multi-party liaison agreement, with a goal of arriving at a common
  set of data and interaction models that describe IoT
  devices. Ideally, for every class of IoT device, there is just a
  single model selected/created by the participating organizations,
  which everyone can adopt.

  As a common language for writing down these models, the Semantic
  Definition Format (SDF) was created, which can represent IoT Things,
  their composition from reusable Objects, their Interaction
  Affordances (Properties, Actions, Events), and the data models
  relevant to describe these Affordances.  SDF is representing these
  models in JSON, enabling re-use of specification formats such as
  CDDL (RFC8610) and the formats proposed at json-schema.org and their
  tooling, for describing both the SDF format itself and the structure
  of the data to be modelled in SDF.

  Some 200 models in SDF format have been contributed by participating
  ecosystems; new models are being submitted continually.  Version 1.0
  of the SDF specification was published on the OneDM github
  repository and as an [Internet-Draft][1].  OneDM is now focusing on
  [consolidating the body of submitted models][3] and developing processes
  for arriving at harmonized models that span different industry
  ecosystems in a common way; they look towards the IETF for
  developing SDF 1.0 further into a high-quality specification.

## ASDF

  The objective of the ASDF WG is to develop SDF to an IETF-quality
  specification for Thing Interaction and Data Modelling, working with
  experts from OneDM and its contributing organizations.  On the way
  to that specification, further functionality requirements will be
  addressed that emerge in the usage of SDF for model harmonization.

  The ASDF WG will work closely with the CBOR WG, home of the CDDL
  specification.  It will also engage the still active mailing list of
  the dormant JSON WG.  Recent proposals to form an IRTF formal
  description techniques (FDT) Research Group may lead to another
  collaboration partner.  The Thing-to-Thing Research Group (T2TRG)
  and its WISHI program can be instrumental in engaging researchers
  and other SDOs in this space, for instance W3C WoT, which is working
  on Thing Description Templates and related specifications.

[1]: https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-onedm-t2trg-sdf-00.html
[2]: https://onedm.org
[3]: https://onedm.org/faq

## Initial Milestones

There is only one deliverable, the SDF specification.
It is not currently foreseen that this will be split into multiple
documents, but that is also not excluded.
The plan is to evolve the specification in a regular rhythm, with a
new Implementation Draft available about bi-monthly.

* SDF specification ("SDF 1.0"), WG document adopted, September 2020
* SDF specification ("SDF 1.1"), Implementation Draft, November 2020
* SDF specification ("SDF 1.2"), Implementation Draft, February 2020
* (continuing in the rhythm...)
* SDF specification ("SDF 1.n"), PS to IESG, September 2021

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 15:31:32 -0400

> It seems to be done. Would you agree?

I agree, and I've put it into the datatracker, with some minor
editing.  From here on, I'll update the proposed charter in the
datatracker:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-asdf/

> But, maybe some people are still on vacation and haven't had a chance to object.

There's still time to make adjustments.  Here's an expected timeline:
- I'll leave it in the current "draft" state for a couple of weeks to
be sure it's stable; please keep me informed about any issues.
- I'll put it into IESG evaluation after that, to be on the 24
September telechat.
- It will go out for "external review", at which point it will be
announced on the main IETF list and on the new-work list.
- It will come back to the IESG for final approval on 8 October.

If you would like me to shorten that timeline by two weeks, I can cut
the "draft charter" period to one week and get the initial IESG
evaluation onto the 10 September telechat, with final approval
expected on 24 September.  Let me know if y'all think it's
sufficiently ready for that.

Barry

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 21:58:24 -0400

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-asdf/

Thank you. I suppose I could have done that.

    > sufficiently ready for that.

I think that the extra two weeks will not help.
Or rather, we'll know by the end of next week if we need more time.
I don't think we will.

---

From: Niklas Widell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 08:54:51 +0000

On 2020-08-28, 03:58, "ASDF on behalf of Michael Richardson" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

I think the charter is in good shape with neither loose threads nor outstanding issues, so I'd be in favor of shortening the timeline to the September 10/24 one. This still gives people a reasonable chance to still raise issues, not that I expect any either. 

For folks on the asdf-list, _now_ would be a great opportunity to raise issues on the charter, latest version here: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-asdf/

Cheers, 
Niklas

---

From: "Wouter van der Beek (wovander)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 08:34:34 +0000

Hi All,

The discussion on the charter has been minimal 
why wait another 2 weeks.

Kind Regards,
Wouter

-----Original Message-----
From: ASDF <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Niklas Widell
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 9:55 AM
To: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>; Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asdf] the ASDF charter seems.... done?

Cheers, 
Niklas

-- 
ASDF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asdf