Subject: [Autoconf] About an update of draft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:15:07 +0100

Hi all,

	I was thinking in updating my autoconf solutions survey draft [1]
and submit a -01 version. I'd like to know whether you think it would be
helpful for the WG discussions or not. If the WG thinks it may help, I
can update  the draft in a few weeks.

	Thanks for your opinion on that.

	Kind Regards,

	Carlos

[1] "Survey of IP address autoconfiguration mechanisms for MANETs"
    Carlos J. Bernardos, María Calderón
http://www.it.uc3m.es/cjbc/papers/draft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey-00.txt
-- 
¡ASÓCIATE! Gratis para estudiantes  http://www.telematica.ws
 Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano     http://www.netcoms.net
 GPG FP: BFF1 7C7A 6AA7 BCE3 885A  4DF1 ED0C 5952 BF89 B974

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf

---

From: Alicia Triviño <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:15:42 +0100

Hi Carlos:

I think your survey draft is very useful as it 
explains the main proposals for address 
autoconfiguration in MANETs. However, some other 
recent mechanisms should also be included. For instance:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/autoconf/draft-jeong-autoconf-pdad-on-demand-00.txt

So, I think the updated version could be helpful.

Best Regards,

>http://www.it.uc3m.es/cjbc/papers/draft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey-00.txt

Alicia Triviño                               / Tl. +34-95.213.71.91
Dpto. Tecnologia Electronica
E.T.S. Ing. Telecomunicacion
Universidad de Malaga
Campus Universitario de Teatinos
29071 Malaga, Spain

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:37:10 +0100

Thanks Alicia,

Most probably, I'll update the I-D within the next few weeks.

Kind Regards,

Carlos J.

---

From: "Joe Macker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:48:56 -0500

A quick comment unless I missed it in the first reading. While not a general
approach for merging/fragmenting there have been MANET autoconfiguration
approaches using dhcp relay and distributed RADV with for simple stub
connected MANET deployments.  These are pragmatic approaches and should be
mentioned along with their respective deployment limitations.  The best
practices are a little different in that you don’t want to assign the pooled
address prefix to the interface but rather a set of subprefixes possibly a
host specific prefix.  DHCP configurations support this with little or no
protocol modifications (e.g., pass specific prefix with the assignment).

I am not suggesting this as the general approach, but wanted to point out
this has been done for working stub MANET networks and perhaps should be
mentioned in a comprehensive survey of existing methods.  There may be other
references but there are some example uses and discussion in:

Macker, J.P. and M.S. Corson, "Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Routing Technology
for Dynamic, Wireless Networks", S. Basagni et al., eds., Mobile Ad Hoc
Networking, Chapter 9, IEEE Press, 2003.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 2:37 PM
>To: Alicia Triviño
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: [Autoconf] About an update 
>ofdraft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-survey
>
>Thanks Alicia,
>
>> I think your survey draft is very useful as it explains the main 
>> proposals for address autoconfiguration in MANETs. However, 
>some other 
>> >         I was thinking in updating my autoconf solutions survey 
>> >draft [1] and submit a -01 version. I'd like to know whether you 
>> >think it would be helpful for the WG discussions or not. If the WG 
>> >thinks it may help, I can update  the draft in a few weeks.
>> >

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:35:37 +0100

Hi Joe,

> references but there are some example uses and discussion in:

	I agree with you, and I think this kind of approach should be also
included in the survey. The first version was an (incomplete) vision of
the solutions that were there one year ago. My idea is to update the
draft with the solution I missed and with the new ones that have been
proposed so far (some of them as a result of the discussions within the
WG).

	Kind Regards,

	Carlos

---

From: "Simone Ruffino" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:27:20 +0100

Hi Carlos,

> proposed so far (some of them as a result of the discussions within the

I also think an update of your draft would be useful for the WG.

I personally would like to understand if the different solutions support 
the MANET architecture model described in draft-ietf-autoconf-manetarch. 
In particular, it would be good to know if they assume a multi-link 
subnet model or if they are able to configure addresses and prefixes as 
specified in the architecture draft.

Thanks and regards,
Simone

>>> http://tools.ietf.org/wg/autoconf/draft-jeong-autoconf-pdad-on-demand-
>>>       
>>>> 00.txt
>>>>
>>>> http://www.it.uc3m.es/cjbc/papers/draft-bernardos-manet-autoconf-surv
>>>>         
>>>>> ey-00.txt
>>>>> --
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons above and may contain confidential information. If you have received the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by replying to [email-masked].

        Thank you

                                        www.telecomitalia.it

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:06:22 +0100

Hi Simone,

> specified in the architecture draft.

	Yes, I agree that's a point that should be addressed in the survey.
Thanks for the suggestion.

	Kind Regards,

	Carlos