Subject: [Autoconf] Goals of MANET autoconf

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:35:16 +0100

All,

over the last 3 IETF meetings, there seemed to be a large consensus that 
the goals of MANET autoconfiguration are (verbatim from the presentation 
in Prague):

1. provide MANET-wide unique prefixes (up to /128) to each MANET router

2. if one or more Internet Gateway is reachable, provide unique global 
prefixes to each MANET router

3. detect and resolve if non-unique prefixes are assigned to MANET 
routers (e.g. as a result of a network partitioning/merger)

Is there still a consensus? Is there some disagreement on these items?

Emmanuel

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf

---

From: "Teco Boot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:46:07 +0100

Hi Emmanuel,

I agree on all 3 items.

Reading back the items, I have some thoughts:

What is the scope? IPv6 only?
Is ND to be replaced with something new?

Has item 3 anything to do with item 2? Or is it a sub-goal on item 1?
Shouldn't we try to prevent non-unique prefixes instead of detecting /
resolving?

On item 2, do we care on "routable"?

Teco.

> -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> Van: Emmanuel Baccelli [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Verzonden: vrijdag 23 november 2007 15:35
> Aan: [email-masked]
> Onderwerp: [Autoconf] Goals of MANET autoconf
> 
> All,
>

---

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:03:08 +0100

Hi Teco,

> I agree on all 3 items.

OK

> What is the scope? IPv6 only?

yes, we are chartered for IPv6 only.

> Is ND to be replaced with something new?

Maybe? I guess we should make clear in the PS what are the issues with 
using ND.

> Shouldn't we try to prevent non-unique prefixes instead of detecting /

I guess the distinction here is between in-service and pre-service 
uniqueness. So item 3 is more about in-service, and item 1 is more about 
pre-service.

> On item 2, do we care on "routable"?

Yes. I think we should add this precision in the items, so they would read:

2. if one or more Internet Gateway is reachable, provide routable unique 
global prefixes to each MANET router

Emmanuel