Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Effect of IP assignment on routing

From: Volker Böhme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:10:55 +0100

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 15:58:48 Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>
> (Sorry, I don't know about publications, but why do you ask?)
>

I am currently writing my diploma thesis and therefore working on an 
autoconfiguration algorithm for ip address assignment in wireless mesh 
networks. I was wondering if it is really possible to create an 
autoconfiguration algorithm which has no requirements regarding the used 
routing protocol. Currently i would say that every autoconfiguration for ip 
address assignment at least determines if flat routing or hierarchical 
routing has to be used within the wireless mesh network.

Volker

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:43:13 +0100

Volker Böhme wrote:
>  autoconfiguration algorithm for ip address assignment in wireless 
> mesh networks.

What are the detail requirements?  Should the same address be assigned
to a node upon its movement?  Or should a different address be assigned
to it?

Should tunnelling be used or not.

Is the 'mesh' made of a single IP subnet or several.

Are the IP addresses needing to be unique Internet-wide?  subnet-wide?
locals only?

Which link-layer technology for the 'mesh'.

What's different about 'mesh' and 'wireless' compared to traditional
networks, from an IP standpoint?

> I was wondering if it is really possible to create an 
> autoconfiguration algorithm which has no requirements regarding the 
> used routing protocol.

Well, yes.  DHCP works completely independently of OSPF.

But I think a good question is whether an autoconfiguration algorithm is
possible (1) without having pre-configured addressing architecture on
the network and (2) with dynamically forming subnets (not meshes made of
  a single IP subnet) and (3) reach - be reachable from - the Internet.

> Currently i would say that every autoconfiguration for ip address 
> assignment at least determines if flat routing or hierarchical 

Probably yes, I don't know.

I think DHCP assumes the subnets are already assigned prefixes, don't
you think.

Dynamic formation of link-local addresses assumes these addresses are
not unique Internet-wide.

NAT isn't reachable.

There may be other ways of assigning addresses that I don't know.

Alex

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________