Subject: [Autoconf] Autoconf implementations ?

From: "Hahusseau, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:09:56 +0100

Hello,

This is my first email on that list. I would like to know if there is some
implementation of autoconfiguration protocols for standalone MANETs under
development ? the only ones I found were a couple years old :
- Pacman feb 2005
- Manet:Prophet may 2004
- NOA-OLSR jul 2005
The only one which seems to be still supported is AHCPd : nov 2007

Most of them doesn't work on recent kernel (2.6.x), because they use ipqueue
which seems to be deprecated on 2.6.x kernels. Does anyone know where I
could find recent implementation of autoconfiguration protocols for MANETs ?
All projects about autoconfiguration implementations seems to be dead
(except AHCP) or what ? It's hard to believe that nobody works on it,
because there few mails on that list about comments on draft and the WG
doesn't look to be dead.

Your sincerely
Thomas Hahusseau

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf

---

From: Christophe Jelger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:10:57 +0100

Hi Thomas,

If you want to test a non-conventional implementation that includes 
reactive routing, DNS-style naming, and NAT-style address 
autoconfiguration then you can try LUNARng, last maintained in June 
2007. It compiles (as Linux kernel module) for 2.6.20+ and used to 
compile for 2.4.x and older 2.6.x kernels but that was not tested 
recently. Also the mips cross-compilation is currently broken (I'll fix 
that one day).

   http://core.it.uu.se/core/index.php/LUNAR

Autoconf here is resolved in a very brute-force way: since reactive 
discovery is done with DNS names and forwarding is done with 
label-switching, unique addresses are no longer needed (we still need 
unique names). Hence the system only ensures that for each remote peer a 
unique local address is assigned, and NAT is used at reception to make 
everything works fine. The current limitation is that it uses a 
home-made NAT code which is not capable of handling NAT-unfriendly 
applications (e.g. FTP).

Note that the code is experimental: the goal was to demonstrate a 
radical way for doing manet autoconf, not to write production code.

have fun!
Christophe

--------------------------------------------------
Dr. Christophe Jelger, http://cn.cs.unibas.ch
University of Basel, Departement Informatik
Bernoullistrasse 16, CH-4056 Basel, Switzerland

Hahusseau, Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> This is my first email on that list. I would like to know if there is 
> some implementation of autoconfiguration protocols for standalone MANETs 
> under development ? the only ones I found were a couple years old :
> 
> - Pacman feb 2005
> 
> - Manet:Prophet may 2004
> 
> - NOA-OLSR jul 2005
> 
> Most of them doesn't work on recent kernel (2.6.x), because they use 
> ipqueue which seems to be deprecated on 2.6.x kernels. Does anyone know 
> where I could find recent implementation of autoconfiguration protocols 
> for MANETs ? All projects about autoconfiguration implementations seems 
> to be dead (except AHCP) or what ? It's hard to believe that nobody 
> works on it, because there few mails on that list about comments on 
> draft and the WG doesn't look to be dead.
> 
> Your sincerely
> 
> Thomas Hahusseau
>