Subject: [Autoconf] MANET Router co-located host support

From: "Teco Boot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:31:51 +0100

All,

In Autoconf meeting, it was suggested that there is no use case for
communication to MNR co-located hosts over the MANET interface.

I strongly disagree with this statement. In fact, I have to deal with this
scenario. I cannot go into details, here a general description:
- MANET is vehicle based, one MANET interface for communication to outside
world
- Few hosts are located nearby a vehicle, where these nodes are associated
with that vehicle
 - All traffic is from / to that vehicle (client-server, gateway, tunnel or
whatever reason for this traffic pattern). There is no host-to-host traffic

Current infrastructure is not IP, it is to be replaced one day. A one-to-one
replacement of functionality looks reasonable to me.

I am aware of the potential problems in this scenario, e.g. when new traffic
patterns are introduced. Prohibiting the scenario wipes out these problems,
but why do that? Promoting hosts to MANET Routers enlarges load on
infrastructure, which is not needed.

Teco.

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf