Subject: Re: [avtext] FW: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-avtext-multicast-acq-rtcp-xr-01

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:26:16 +0200

Ali C. Begen (abegen) skrev 2011-03-30 15:58:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-multicast-acq-rtcp-xr
>
>  This version addressed the comments from Magnus (chair's review). We
> should be ready for pub request.

Hi,

I have reviewed the changes and think they are appropriate and ok. I
wished the usage language was a bit more authorative. Secondly, I think
the privacy angle could benefit from a bit more exploration, especially
in regards to the vendor extensions. The ones present in the report
block currently appear to leak only service performance related issues.
The fact that one is switching channels are going to impossible to hide
for anyone that can sniff the traffic arriving at a particular user.

cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Eric Friedrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:04:37 -0400

Hi Magnus,
   Thanks for the comments. Would you be ok with the addition of the  
following text to Section 6?

"MA report integrity can be provided by SRTP and SRTCP.

Malicious sniffing or otherwise obtaining MA report blocks can reveal  
performance characteristics of the RTP service and underlying network.  
This information is already available to an observer with the ability  
to capture RTP + RTCP session traffic.

The contents and value of any private vendor extensions should be  
studied when considering the need to secure the MA report. Application- 
level performance data may be present that is not otherwise available  
to an attacker as with the required fields and vendor neutral  
extensions."

--Eric Friedrich

On Apr 4, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> avtext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 17:17:58 +0200

> to an attacker as with the required fields and vendor neutral  

Yes, it at least points towards the information leakage that do occur.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund