Subject: [avtext] Incoming liaison statement from MMUSIC

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:08:40 -0800

Hi all,
mmusic has received an incoming liaison from MPEG, indicating that they have
started on "codec independent media description code points".  My
understanding of this work is that these code points may be represented in
SDP.
My personal viewpoint is that this may well be sound architectural work, but
it may be better conducted here in mmusic, at least when it comes to SDP
representations and the related IANA work.  However, I know nothing about
this work beyond what's written in the statement, which is why I used "soft"
language.  Perhaps some of you can shed light into what's really going on.
The assorted avt WGs are probably also affected, as some of the proposed
code points sound like they are being described in payload formats, RTP
extensions and perhaps even in xrblock.  Let me suggest to use only the
music list for discussions, as only mmusic is being addressed in the
statement.
As it is short, I have attached the statement in word format to this email.
It will also appear shortly in the IETF liaison database.
Regards,
Stephan