Subject: [avtext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios-03.txt> (Considerations for Deploying the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) Method) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 05:40:15 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
WG (avtext) to consider the following document:
- 'Considerations for Deploying the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP
   Sessions (RAMS) Method'
  <draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-04-03. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions (RAMS) solution is a
   method based on RTP and RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) that enables an
   RTP receiver to rapidly acquire and start consuming the RTP multicast
   data.  Upon a request from the RTP receiver, an auxiliary unicast RTP
   retransmission session is set up between a retransmission server and
   the RTP receiver, over which the reference information about the new
   multicast stream the RTP receiver is about to join is transmitted at
   an accelerated rate.  This often precedes, but may also accompany,
   the multicast stream itself.  When there is only one multicast stream
   to be acquired, the RAMS solution works in a straightforward manner.
   However, when there are two or more multicast streams to be acquired
   from the same or different multicast RTP sessions, care should be
   taken to configure each RAMS session appropriately.  This document
   provides example scenarios and discusses how the RAMS solution could
   be used in such scenarios.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rams-scenarios/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.