Subject: [avtext] [Taxonomy] 2.3. Media Source - Comment

From: "Schwarz, Albrecht (Albrecht)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:35:23 +0000

Hello Jonathan,

if the "media source" is not limited to audio and video only, then I'd like to suggest following update proposal to clause 2.3;

2.3. Media Source

   A Media Source logically defines the source of a raw stream of media

   data as generated either by a single capture device or by a

   conceptual source.  A Media Source represents an Audio Source or a

   Video Source. A Media Source represents a source of media data of a dedicated media type (e.g., audio, video, text).

What do you think?

Albrecht

---

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:59:43 -0400

It makes sense to me, though I'm not the primary person working on the document at this point.  (Magnus and Bo currently have the editing token.)

On Sep 12, 2013, at 4:35 AM, "Schwarz, Albrecht (Albrecht)" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Hello Jonathan,

if the „media source“ is not limited to audio and video only, then I’d like to suggest following update proposal to clause 2.3;

2.3. Media Source

What do you think?
Albrecht

--
Jonathan Lennox
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "Gonzalo Salgueiro (gsalguei)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:36:11 +0000

Albrecht -

As Jonathan mentioned, Magnus and Bo are currently making extensive changes to the Concepts section.  The concepts are going to be presented as a media chain of transformations and streams that media can be subject to from sender to receiver. As part of that effort, this has overhauled the Media Source sub-section to which you refer. While your comment is perfectly valid in the context of the original text, could you please review the section (posted below) and suggest edits or confirm it meets your needs?

Cheers,

Gonzalo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2.1.4.  Media Source

   A Media Source is the logical source of a reference clock
   synchronized time progressing digital media stream, called a Source
   Stream (Section 2.1.5).  This transformation takes one or more Raw
   Streams (Section 2.1.3) and provides a Source Stream as output.  This
   output has been synchronized with some reference clock, even if just
   a system local wall clock.

   The output can be of different origins.  One type is directly
   associated with a particular Media Capture's Raw Stream.  Others are
   more conceptual sources, like an audio mix of multiple Raw Streams
   (Figure 3), a mixed selection of the three loudest inputs regarding
   speech activity, a selection of a particular video based on the
   current speaker, i.e. typically based on other Media Sources.

                 Raw       Raw       Raw
                Stream    Stream    Stream
                  |         |         |
                  V         V         V
              +--------------------------+
              |        Media Source      |<-- Reference Clock
              |           Mixer          |
              +--------------------------+
                            |
                            V
                      Source Stream

         Figure 3: Conceptual Media Source in form of Audio Mixer

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello Jonathan,

2.3. Media Source

What do you think?
Albrecht
_______________________________________________
avtext mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext