Subject: [avtext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-04.txt> (Duplicating RTP Streams) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:15:47 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
WG (avtext) to consider the following document:
- 'Duplicating RTP Streams'
  <draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-02-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Packet loss is undesirable for real-time multimedia sessions, but can
   occur due to congestion, or other unplanned network outages.  This is
   especially true for IP multicast networks, where packet loss patterns
   can vary greatly between receivers.  One technique that can be used
   to recover from packet loss without incurring unbounded delay for all
   the receivers is to duplicate the packets and send them in separate
   redundant streams.  This document explains how Real-time Transport
   Protocol (RTP) streams can be duplicated without breaking RTP or RTP
   Control Protocol (RTCP) rules.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1656/