Subject: [avtext] Protocol Action: 'Duplicating RTP Streams' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 08:52:38 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Duplicating RTP Streams'
  (draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Richard Barnes.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication/

Technical Summary

   Packet loss is undesirable for real-time multimedia sessions, but can
   occur due to congestion, or other unplanned network outages.  This is
   especially true for IP multicast networks, where packet loss patterns
   can vary greatly between receivers.  One technique that can be used
   to recover from packet loss without incurring unbounded delay for all
   the receivers is to duplicate the packets and send them in separate
   redundant streams.  This document explains how Real-time Transport
   Protocol (RTP) streams can be duplicated without breaking RTP or RTP
   Control Protocol (RTCP) rules.

Working Group Summary

The document went through a working group last call.  There were 
comments and the document was updated to resolve all comments.

The work was originally presented in the AVTCORE working group, but 
following chair and AD discussion was adopted as a work item of the 
AVTEXT group instead.

Document Quality

The document got good reviews from several AVText members, notably 
Magnus Westerlund, who brought up several important topics about the 
document's congestion control, and limitations of its source-association 
mechanisms, which were resolved during working group last call.

Ali Begen says that Cisco uses duplicated streams "more or less" 
according to the guidelines in this document, as do several other 
implementations from the SMPTE community.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Jonathan Lennox.  The Responsible Area Director 
is Gonzalo Camarillo.