Subject: [avtext] RFC 7198 on Duplicating RTP Streams

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:41:12 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7198

        Title:      Duplicating RTP Streams 
        Author:     A. Begen, C. Perkins
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 29317
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-duplication-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7198.txt

Packet loss is undesirable for real-time multimedia sessions but can
occur due to a variety of reasons including unplanned network
outages.  In unicast transmissions, recovering from such an outage
can be difficult depending on the outage duration, due to the
potentially large number of missing packets.  In multicast
transmissions, recovery is even more challenging as many receivers
could be impacted by the outage.  For this challenge, one solution
that does not incur unbounded delay is to duplicate the packets and
send them in separate redundant streams, provided that the underlying
network satisfies certain requirements.  This document explains how
Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) streams can be duplicated without
breaking RTP or RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) rules.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC