Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 05:28:21 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : RTP Stream Pause and Resume
        Authors         : Bo Burman
                          Azam Akram
                          Roni Even
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-06.txt
	Pages           : 51
	Date            : 2015-02-11

Abstract:
   With the increased popularity of real-time multimedia applications,
   it is desirable to provide good control of resource usage, and users
   also demand more control over communication sessions.  This document
   describes how a receiver in a multimedia conversation can pause and
   resume incoming data from a sender by sending real-time feedback
   messages when using Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for real time
   data transport.  This document extends the Codec Control Messages
   (CCM) RTCP feedback package by explicitly allowing and describing
   specific use of existing CCM messages and adding a group of new real-
   time feedback messages used to pause and resume RTP data streams.
   This document updates RFC 5104.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bo Burman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 13:53:33 +0000

This version should address all comments received during IETF 91, and also includes a few sentences on RESUME retransmission, as suggested on the list.

Summary of changes, for your convenience (also in document):

   o  Clarified in Message Details section for PAUSED that
      retransmission of the message can be used to increase the
      probability that the message reaches the receiver in a timely
      fashion, and also added text that says the number of repetitions
      can be tuned to observed loss rate and the desired loss
      probability.  Also removed Editor's notes on potential ACK for
      unsolicited PAUSED, since the issue is solved by the above.

   o  In the same section as above, added that PAUSED may be included in
      all compound RTCP reports, as long as the negotiated RTCP
      bandwidth is not exceeded.

   o  In Message Details section for RESUME, added text on
      retransmission similar to the one mentioned for PAUSED above.
      Also included text that says such retransmission SHOULD stop as
      soon as RTP packets or a REFUSED with a valid PauseID from the
      targeted stream are received.

   o  Changed simulcast reference, since that draft was moved from
      AVTCORE to MMUSIC and made WG draft.

   o  Changed End Point to Endpoint to reflect change in RTP Grouping
      Taxonomy draft.

   o  Editorial improvements.

Cheers,
Bo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: den 11 februari 2015 14:28
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-06.txt
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are
> available at tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt