Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 08:33:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : RTP Stream Pause and Resume
        Authors         : Bo Burman
                          Azam Akram
                          Roni Even
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-07.txt
	Pages           : 54
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   With the increased popularity of real-time multimedia applications,
   it is desirable to provide good control of resource usage, and users
   also demand more control over communication sessions.  This document
   describes how a receiver in a multimedia conversation can pause and
   resume incoming data from a sender by sending real-time feedback
   messages when using Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for real time
   data transport.  This document extends the Codec Control Messages
   (CCM) RTCP feedback package by explicitly allowing and describing
   specific use of existing CCM messages and adding a group of new real-
   time feedback messages used to pause and resume RTP data streams.
   This document updates RFC 5104.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bo Burman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 15:46:35 +0000

This version contains the following changes (list also in the document), which I believe addresses all of the received comments so far:

   o  Completely rewrote the Security Consideration section.

   o  Aligned text such that REFUSED is always referred to as a
      notification, not indication.

   o  Added and changed text in several places, clarifying the case when
      TMMBR/TMMBN bounding set overhead value matters, related to
      whether local RTP stream sender or remote RTP stream receiver owns
      the TMMBR 0 restriction, and the consequences this has on pause/
      resume logic.

   o  Moved text on when to stop media stream transmission from when
      receiving PAUSE and entering pausing state, to when entering
      paused or local paused states.

   o  Added text on how to determine if there is a single receiver or
      not, aligned with what is specified in draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-
      stream, adding a reference to draft-ietf-avtcore-multi-stream-
      optimisation to be able to use a single RTCP reporting group as
      one criteria.

   o  Added clarifying text on repeating PAUSED and RESUME messages only
      as long as remaining in the relevant state.

   o  Clarified that it is the RTP stream sender's responsibility to
      leave local paused state when the condition causing that state is
      no longer true.

   o  Added text to better allow for extensions to this specification,
      since there is already some text on extensions.

   o  Corrected and amended ABNF to make CCM pause parameters order-
      independent, allow for a larger config pause attribute value
      range, and added corresponding text to handle that additional
      flexibility.

   o  Added SDP rules on how to handle unknown pause attribute values.

   o  Clarified how to handle an SDP with both "ccm pause" and "ccm
      tmmbr".

   o  Changed from "Translator" to "Relay" in examples, to make it
      clearer in relation to the updated topologies draft.

   o  Editorial improvements.

Cheers,
Bo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: avtext [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: den 9 mars 2015 16:33
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-07.txt
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are
> available at tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> avtext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext