Subject: [avtext] Fwd: 3GPP liaison statement to IETF

From: Jonathan Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:34:57 +0000

Hello, AVTEXT members —

We’ve received the following liaison from 3GPP about Video Region-of-Interest (ROI) work.

Begin forwarded message:

From: 3GPPLiaison statements <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: 3GPP liaison statement to IETF
Date: July 15, 2015 at 10:47:30 AM EDT
To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: Paolino Usai <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Dear Gonzalo,
Please find attached a liaison statement from 3GPP SA4 to IETF.
Kind regards,
--susanna

TSG SA4#84 meeting                                                                                                                         Tdoc S4 (15)0821
July 6-10, 2015, Rennes, France

itle:                           LS to IETF on Video Region-of-Interest (ROI)

Source:                     3GPP TSG SA WG4

To:                            IETF AVTEXT WG

Cc:

-------------------------------------------------------------
Susanna Kooistra, ETSI MCC
E-mail: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
P Please consider the environmental impact before printing this e-mail

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:21:39 +0200

Hi,

If I understand correctly, this directly relates to 
draft-huang-avtext-feedback-image-control, which is on the agenda for 
Prague. That is, people might want to add it to their reading material 
for next week.

Thanks!

Ben.

On 16 Jul 2015, at 16:34, Jonathan Lennox wrote:

> From: 3GPPLiaison statements 
> <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: 
> "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" 
> <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
> TSG SA4#84 meeting                                                     
> Tdoc S4 (15)0821
> [S4-150821.zip]
> _______________________________________________
> avtext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 17:45:40 +0300

Hi Jonthan,

I looked at the 3gpp document, they have three mode for region of interest, the first is using the FECC h.281 as specified in RFC4573. The second mode is similar to draft-huang-avtext-feedback-image-control and the third mode is to mark views to be used later. I did not see any IANA registration yet for this CCM message.

My view is that there is a need for the region of interest also outside of the 3gpp word so maybe we should say that we will co-operate on the  syntax and make this message as a general one  since there is no need for two similar messages.

BTW: I am not sure why they did not bring it to the IETF in the first place

Roni Even

From: avtext [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lennox
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [avtext] Fwd: 3GPP liaison statement to IETF

Hello, AVTEXT members — 

Begin forwarded message:

From: 3GPPLiaison statements <[email-masked]>

To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Cc: Paolino Usai <[email-masked]>

Dear Gonzalo,

Kind regards,

--susanna

Source:                     3GPP TSG SA WG4

To:                            IETF AVTEXT WG

Cc:                           

-------------------------------------------------------------
Susanna Kooistra, ETSI MCC
E-mail: [email-masked]
P Please consider the environmental impact before printing this e-mail

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:56:46 +0200

Den 2015-07-18 kl. 16:45, skrev Roni Even:
> Hi Jonthan,
>
> I looked at the 3gpp document, they have three mode for region of
> interest, the first is using the FECC h.281 as specified in RFC4573. The
> second mode is similar to draft-huang-avtext-feedback-image-control and
> the third mode is to mark views to be used later. I did not see any IANA
> registration yet for this CCM message.

The registration requests have been sent to IANA. I have received the 
request for the RTP header extension. I have sent a suggestion that they 
should use different URN for the different formats, which there are two 
of. This is instead of relying on one URN and demultiplex based length. 
Thus, it is likely this aspect will change prior to registration.

The RTCP feedback format I believe is stuck behind an administrative 
action by the IESG to appoint an expert for that registry.

>
> My view is that there is a need for the region of interest also outside
> of the 3gpp word so maybe we should say that we will co-operate on the
> syntax and make this message as a general one  since there is no need
> for two similar messages.

First of all there is clearly no issues for most of the world to 
reference the 3GPP specifications. I note that RTCWEB do reference the 
CVO header extension defined in 3GPP.

I think if AVTEXT WG is to define a competing format we should ensure we 
have an agreement with 3GPP SA4 about this and have good reasons to 
believe what we specify will be better.

> BTW: I am not sure why they did not bring it to the IETF in the first place

I assume to meet their release dead lines.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Services, Media and Network features, Ericsson Research EAB/TXM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------