Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 08:54:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : RTP Stream Pause and Resume
        Authors         : Bo Burman
                          Azam Akram
                          Roni Even
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-08.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2015-07-03

Abstract:
   With the increased popularity of real-time multimedia applications,
   it is desirable to provide good control of resource usage, and users
   also demand more control over communication sessions.  This document
   describes how a receiver in a multimedia conversation can pause and
   resume incoming data from a sender by sending real-time feedback
   messages when using Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for real time
   data transport.  This document extends the Codec Control Messages
   (CCM) RTCP feedback package by explicitly allowing and describing
   specific use of existing CCM messages and adding a group of new real-
   time feedback messages used to pause and resume RTP data streams.
   This document updates RFC 5104.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bo Burman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 16:04:07 +0000

This version should address all comments I have received so far on -07.

Cheers,
Bo

--------------------------------------------------------------

Changes, for your convenience (also in document):

   o  Moved the mentioning of RTCWEB RFC7478 API requirements out from
      3.1 to section 3, adding a couple of clarifying sentences.

   o  Highlighted that the use case in section 3.4 deals with a
      different direction of the pause request than the previous use
      cases.

   o  Added text on partial capability and interoperability to section
      5.1.

   o  Added an overview explanation of PauseID as a new section 5.2, and
      moved a few sentences on PauseID from other 5.x sections in there.

   o  Changed all occurrences of "available" and "valid" PauseID to the
      more clear "current" PauseID, and re-phrased sentences involving
      that to become more clear.

   o  Changed all occurrences of "smaller" and "larger" PauseID to
      "past" and "future", respectively, to better align with "current".

   o  Removed an incorrect sentence in 5.2 about when it is not feasible
      to send repeated PAUSE.

   o  Changed a few capitalized words that could be taken as normative
      text from section 5, which is intended to be a non-normative
      description.

   o  Added some explanatory text on why RTP stream is resumed when the
      stream receiver that paused the stream leaves the RTP session to
      last bullet in 6.3.1.

   o  Added caption to Figure 5.

   o  Moved the detailed description on what PauseID ranges are defined
      as "past" and "future" before section 8.1, instead of having it in
      section 8.1, and added a comment on the "not current" part of the
      value range.

   o  Added text in section 8.1 on appropriate time to wait between
      sending PAUSE, when the first PAUSE was rejected by a RESUME or a
      REFUSED.

   o  Added text in section 8.3 on appropriate time to wait between
      sending RESUME, when the first RESUME was rejected by a REFUSED.

   o  Added text in section 8.4 on time to wait before sending the
      REFUSED request again, referencing sections 8.1 and 8.3.

   o  Added a couple of paragraphs in section 9 on partial capability
      and interoperability, including a description on when different
      config values are expected to be useful, and when they are not.

   o  Added arrows in Figure 19 to highlight that the Relay sends out
      all received messages to all receivers, not only the first PAUSE
      message.

   o  Changed references to RFC3264 and RFC4566 to be normative.

   o  Updated ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements reference to be
      RFC7478.

   o  Editorial improvements and clarifications.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: avtext [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: den 3 juli 2015 17:54
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-stream-pause-08.txt
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are
> available at tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> avtext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext