Subject: [avtext] Document Action: 'A Taxonomy of Semantics and Mechanisms for Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Sources' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-grouping-taxonomy-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 14:26:55 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Taxonomy of Semantics and Mechanisms for Real-Time Transport
   Protocol (RTP) Sources'
  (draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-grouping-taxonomy-08.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba, Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-rtp-grouping-taxonomy/

Technical Summary:

The terminology about, and associations among, Real-Time Transport 
Protocol (RTP) sources can be complex and somewhat opaque.  This 
document describes a number of existing and proposed relationships among 
RTP sources, and attempts to define common terminology for discussing 
protocol entities and their relationships.

Working Group Summary:

A first draft of the document was produced by a team of people led by 
Jonathan Lennox as draft-lennox-raiarea-rtp-grouping-taxonomy-00 in 
February 2013. There were three further iterations as an author draft 
until the document was adopted as a working group document by the AVTEXT 
working group in November 2013, with Bo Burman taking over the lead 
editorship. The document has been through six iterations as a working 
group document, with working group last call occurring in November 2014. 
While the authors of the draft have been limited, a significant team of 
experts has been working on the draft including Jonathan Lennox, Kevin 
Gross, Bo Burman, Magnus Westerlund, Suhas Nandakumar, Gonzalo 
Salgueiro, Harald Alvestrand.

There was no working group controversy worth noting.

Document Quality:

The document itself contains terminology only, and no requirements, so 
is not directly implementable in its own right. The document has been 
developed in parallel with a number of specifications in the AVTCORE, 
PAYLOAD, MMUSIC, RTCWEB, and CLUE working groups, and has been reviewed 
by editors of documents in those groups.
Apart from the regular GenArt review, no further external reviews are identified as needed.

Personnel:

Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area Director? 

Keith Drage is the document shepherd.

Ben Campbell is the responsible area director.