Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:36:18 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions of the IETF.

        Title           : RTP Header Extension for RTCP Source Description Items
        Authors         : Magnus Westerlund
                          Bo Burman
                          Roni Even
                          Mo Zanaty
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-04.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2016-02-22

Abstract:
   Source Description (SDES) items are normally transported in RTP
   control protocol (RTCP).  In some cases it can be beneficial to speed
   up the delivery of these items.  Mainly when a new source (SSRC)
   joins an RTP session and the receivers needs this source's identity,
   relation to other sources, or its synchronization context, all of
   which may be fully or partially identified using SDES items.  To
   enable this optimization, this document specifies a new RTP header
   extension that can carry SDES items.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bo Burman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:44:21 +0000

This update addresses the AD comment on explicitly requesting an IANA sub-registry for the urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:sdes sub-space, with the additional RTCP SDES concerns described in this draft, compared to what is already described for urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext. It also addresses the AD comment on receiver actions for section 4.2.6, which was accidentally omitted from the previous version.

Cheers,
/Bo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: avtext [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: den 22 februari 2016 09:36
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [avtext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-04.txt
> 
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are
> available at tools.ietf.org.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> avtext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:05:48 -0600

Hi,

I think this version is almost ready to progress, but I do have some 
minor comments about the new IANA section. Since the IETF last call 
prompts IANA to start their review and plan their updates, and it might 
be confusing to have IANA consideration updates while this is in 
progress, we probably need to resolve this before last call.

-- 5.1, paragraph 5:

The text says "IANA is requested to register the below in the RTP 
Compact Header Extensions: Extensions, and to create the corresponding 
sub-registry:"

But nothing in the rest of the section appears to describe the creation 
of the sub-registry. Now, I think you've given most the information 
needed in 5.0, but that section reads like a summary rather than an 
actual request for action. I propose a slight rearrangement, along the 
lines of the following:

5.0: Summary
5.1: registration of the URN.
5.2: Creation of the sub registry. (The sub-registry probably needs a 
human-readable name in addition to the URN.)
5.3: <current 5.2>

-- 5.2, last paragraph

The RFC editor does not move things in IANA registries. IANA does that. 
I suggest the following:
OLD
    RFC-editor note: Please move the MID SDES item already registered in
    the main registry by [I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation] to the
    newly formed RTP SDES Compact Header Extensions.
NEW
    IANA is also requested to move the MID SDES item already registered 
in
    the main registry by [I-D.ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation] to the
    newly formed RTP SDES Compact Header Extensions.

On 22 Feb 2016, at 2:44, Bo Burman wrote:

> This update addresses the AD comment on explicitly requesting an IANA 
> sub-registry for the urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext:sdes sub-space, with 
> the additional RTCP SDES concerns described in this draft, compared to 
> what is already described for urn:ietf:params:rtp-hdrext. It also 
> addresses the AD comment on receiver actions for section 4.2.6, which 
> was accidentally omitted from the previous version.
>
> Cheers,
> /Bo
>
>> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of 
>> submission until the htmlized version and diff are