Subject: [avtext] Protocol Action: 'RTP/RTCP extension for RTP Splicing Notification' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 14:37:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP/RTCP extension for RTP Splicing Notification'
  (draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-splicing-notification/

Technical Summary

Content splicing is a process that replaces the content of a main multimedia stream with other multimedia content, and delivers the substitutive multimedia content to the receivers for a period of time. The splicer is designed to handle RTP splicing and needs to know when to start and end the splicing. This memo defines two RTP/RTCP extensions to indicate the splicing related information to the splicer: an RTP header extension that conveys the information in-band and an RTCP packet that conveys the information out-of-band.

Working Group Summary

The document went through a working group last call.  There were
comments and the document was updated to resolve all comments.

The use case of this work (multimedia streaming over RTP) is somewhat
distant from the primary expertise of many AVTEXT working group
participants, so a call was specifically put out to constituencies
that would use the work in order to determine interest and
correctness.  A number of such constituencies responded that they were
interested in the work.

An IPR declaration was filed late, after the work had been accepted as
a work item of the working group, from the employer of some of the
document's authors.  (The authors indicated that the IPR was from a
different area of the company than the one they worked in.)  The
working group considered this and decided that this would not block
going forward with the document.

Document Quality

The document got good reviews from several AVTEXT members.

The document was reviewed by the SDP Directorate, and changes were
made following the comments that were received.

There are reports that at least one vendor has begun field trials of
the mechanism.

Personnel

The Document Shepherd is Jonathan Lennox; the Responsible Area
Director is Ben Campbell.

IESG Note

  This version has normative downrefs to RFC 7201 and RFC 7667, that were added as a result of
  IETF last call. We ran a second, abbreviated last call that explicitly called out the downrefs
  and received no objections.